Author Topic: Dry skin advice  (Read 2980 times)

Offline TSE

• Sly Jr.
    • TheShavingEdge.com
Dry skin advice
« on: January 30, 2014, 08:37:36 AM »
It’s been cold here in PA and there have been a number of things that I feel are drying out the skin on my head, face, and hands.    The hot showers I take, wind, the water and hotel soap from a vacation I took a week ago, etc. are no doubt real contributors.

I’ve switched to castile soap for the shower, restarted using shave oil, and applying Eucerin moisturizer to hands, face, and head constantly.  Sometimes I think it is working, sometimes I don’t.

I’m looking for some perspectives.  What do you do to tend to dry skin or what do you do to help prevent it?

Thanks as always!   :)

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Re: Dry skin advice
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 09:50:31 AM »
In cold weather, heated places are very dry (low, desert-like humidity), so your skin will naturally be drier than in the summer months.  Some advice:

Avoid strong or deodorant soaps because they suck even more mosture out of your skin.  Use mild soaps or ones that are glycerin-based (like Neutrogena and Pears) or use a body wash that includes moisturizers.

Avoid using hand sanitizers or wipes that contain alcohol (nearly all do).  While alcohol kills germs, it also dries out your skin incredibly fast.

After you shave, use a good moisturizer.  Nivea after-shave balm and Bee Bald Smooth work well for me. 

Offline TSE

• Sly Jr.
    • TheShavingEdge.com
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2014, 08:11:34 AM »
Thanks for the advice npsbg! I really do appreciate it

Offline Bald Guy

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2014, 08:45:26 AM »
Cornhuskers lotion is an excellent remedy for dry skin.  Available at Walmart.

Offline TSE

• Sly Jr.
    • TheShavingEdge.com
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, 11:26:43 AM »
Thanks Bald Guy!  i really like corn huskers for the hands.  It's been awhile since i bought it so kind of forgot about it. 

Side note: they come in plastic bottles ... I miss the glass ones that corn husker used to use

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2014, 11:39:43 AM »
I use  AVEENO® Men's™ After Shave Lotion every day, even in between shaves.  It's nice and cooling right after a shave and gives it a nice smooth feel.  My head gets naturally oily throughout the day, but it seems dry outta the shower and thus I use the Aveeno lotion.
My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

Offline antoniom

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2014, 06:05:59 PM »
Do you wear a hat or tobogan durring the cold days?

Offline TSE

• Sly Jr.
    • TheShavingEdge.com
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 08:01:37 AM »
Thanks for the responses DOC_OSMC & antoniom

As far as hats go ... Ya.  I'm a big baby ... so I typically wear a wool hat or skull-cap-type hat below 40-45 degrees F and a baseball or cabbie's hat other times

Enter your email address: