Author Topic: Almost ready to go sly, but worried about my head shape...  (Read 16696 times)

Offline DOC_OSMC

• Bald and Bearded
  • Super Sly
  • Pleasure's a sin, and sometimes sin's a pleasure.
Re: Almost ready to go sly, but worried about my head shape...
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2014, 02:52:32 PM »
I tell you, the crown was where I had the most hair loss and the front was starting to recede.  Buzzing it allowed it to look less noticeable and more uniform.  But I do understand what you are saying.  Is the crown just considerable thinner or almost completely bald?  If it's just thinner, as long as you buzz uniformly I'm sure it will blend in.  Start with a 2 maybe and then work your way to a 1 then a 0.

My last pass with the clippers I realized it had thinned to the point that I was ready to shave it.  Since then, no looking back!

My granddaddy once told me, "If you can't hack it, gecho' jacket!"

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2014, 02:55:47 PM »
Ok, so zero buzz your entire head. Then shave the island only!

It will give you a feeling for shaving all over, without actually doing it. Give it a try.

Offline anonymousnomore

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2014, 03:02:23 PM »
The area behind my island is noticeably thinner. I wish it was more of a uniform balding pattern. Right now, the thinner hair behind the island is a little longer and sort of connects to the island, but it's not long before it's gone. The island isn't as thick as the hair I have on the sides of my head, but not as thin as what's behind it either.

Offline anonymousnomore

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2014, 03:05:52 PM »
I would post a pic, but don't know how :)

Offline zetaeffe

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • The Bald by Choice Men group
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2014, 03:20:01 PM »
From your pic I would say you will look great bald.
So don't be worried.

Offline anonymousnomore

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2014, 04:29:30 PM »
Thanks zetaeffe, I hope so. Looks like nature will leave me no choice. Going bald wouldn't be that big of a deal if I were like 50, but it sucks any of us have to lose it so young. And I realize there are those who lost it younger than me, so I guess I'm grateful for the years I had my hair. But, in the end, it's just hair, not who I am. I just need to man up and shave it off. The reactions should be interesting....

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2014, 04:38:49 PM »
I think going bald can be a big deal for just about any man no matter his age. And yeah, I am one of the MPBs who lost his in his teens and twenties. I did not shave off the horseshoe until I was fifty.

You seem to have a good attitude about it, sir.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline anonymousnomore

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 05:08:00 PM »
You are right, I didn't mean to sound insensitive. I'm really trying to have a good attitude, but trust me, I have been in a spiraling depression about it that in just beginning to come out of. Hopefully I'm moving towards the acceptance stage. It has been hard though. The most helpful thing I've learned on this board is that we are our own harshest judges. I personally don't believe I will look very good bald. Many guys really can pull it off and do look awesome, I'm not yet at the point where I believe that about myself, but I'm better than I was, with a lot of thanks going to reading the stories of others on this board.

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 06:26:15 PM »
Welcome, anonymousnomore! 

I don't think you should worry about the "island" too much.  If you buzz it with a zero guard, it will probably blend in pretty well. 

I also think that shaving the head seems to be more forgiving of irregularities than most people think.  When you see a bald guy, you notice that he is bald... and don't usually concentrate on any particular irregularities about his head.  While when someone has patches of hair on their head, it may actually add to their funny head shape.    It is kinda like how women wear that black dress to hide imperfections in their bodies... creating an  optical illusion or something.   I'm sure it doesn't work in all cases (if someone has half of their head missing, it will not work, just like if a woman is the size of an elephant, it won't make her look like she wears a size 1 dress)...  but do you follow my nonsense?   ;)

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2014, 07:06:17 PM »
 That's a great photo, anonymousnomore!
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2014, 07:36:59 PM »
Welcome anonymousnomore! My advice is to just buzz the hair down short one length with either no guard or a #1 guard. That will give you some idea of what you will look like with a shaved head. Years ago I really didn't like the full shaved look, but once I buzzed my hair without using a guard I realized a bald head would really suit me. So I gave in to shaving.

With a buzzcut I wouldn't worry about thickness at all. at that length the hair will just look more uniform and neater. But I agree with shaving earlier in the year versus waiting for summer. You want the tan to be uninform, plus it's easier to apply sunscreen to slick dome versus having stubble or a #1 buzz. you still need to use screenscreen when you are buzzed that short. the scalp still burns!

I say stop worrying. do the buzz and that will quickly give way to temptation to do a shaved head. It only takes a week to go from shaved to a #1 if you don't like the look. Also everyone has some imperfection. I have slight ridge on the side of my head and I never gave it thought. And people still say I have the perfect head for a bald guy.

Stop worrying. Give in to temptation! You will be sly!

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2014, 07:39:18 PM »
Let me also add ...your thick beard will look pretty awesome with a shaved head!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2014, 05:37:55 AM »
Dude, I think you have a nice beard to go with short/shaved....We all get nervous when doing something and then after we do it, we discover it's not that bad.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2014, 10:24:34 AM »
Welcome to sly bald guys. I am sure that you will like the look once you shave your head. I agree woith the previous comments.We are our own worst critic. I am sure that you will look just fine and that You will wonder why you did not do it sooner. Please post a picture when you do.

Offline anonymousnomore

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2014, 11:07:24 AM »
Thanks so much for all the positive comments guys. That's really encouraging. I would like to know how to post pics. I'd like to post some side views so I can get some brutally honest feedback. Again, I feel very encouraged. Thanks so much!!!

Enter your email address: