Author Topic: soft-tooth hair clippers?  (Read 7010 times)

Offline baloo

• Learning the way of Sly
soft-tooth hair clippers?
« on: December 22, 2013, 05:22:51 PM »
I've got standard Wahl clippers. I use the 1/16" guard to shave my head, but the hair still ends up being too long for my tastes. I tried using my beard trimmer w/out its guard on to shave my head once, and I LOVED the results. The beard trimmer has soft teeth, so it doesn't hurt as I drag it across my dome. But, it's impractical to use that thing to shave my head. I can't use the Wahl head clippers w/out the guard, though, because the teeth are sharp and rough. I might as well sandpaper my head. Is there a head hair trimmer out there w/ soft teeth similar to a beard trimmer's teeth?

I've seen mention of balders or baldfaders or whatever, but from looking at pics, the teeth seem just as sharp as my normal Wahl's teeth. What gives? How can I safely (and painlessly) get my hair shorter than w/ the 1/16" attachment?

I've Googled this, can't find a thing. Maybe they're not called "soft teeth," but I don't know what to search for otherwise.

Thanks!

(Man, I haven't been here in over a year. I started here when I first thought to shave my head completely bald. I tried it, hated the look, haha. I definitely want some stubble up there.)

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
Re: soft-tooth hair clippers?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 05:55:26 PM »
Baloo, I know what you mean about the hair clippers with no guard.  I think the reason it feels that way is because the clippers are so heavy compared to the trimmer.  I am a blade shaver, so I do not have a good answer for you.  But if you really want it shorter, why not try a blade shave?  Its really not that hard with some practice.  A close clipper shave is about the same as a blade shave after 24 hours.

If you are set against a blade shave, you could try a electric razor.  They will normally give the same result as a blade shave after 8 to 12 hours.
SlyBeard

Offline baloo

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 06:54:08 PM »
Hey, thanks for the reply. Nah, like I mentioned, I shaved my head a year ago when I first joined up, and I just didn't like the look. (For the record, I used an electric shaver.)

I really would love a soft-tooth trimmer. It's gotta exist. Maybe I can find a giant beard trimmer.

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 01:00:31 AM »
I sometimes use an Andis model TC-1 Outliner, very small, electric, easy to use and the teeth are softer than my wahl heavy clippers that does  have a 1/16 guard with it. When I use the Wahl  with no guard I have to be careful as the teeth can bite into the skin. The Andis TC-1 outliner seems to cut at 1/32 if I am correct. About $35 US. It came with no guards. Works great for that length. Never cuts the skin.

Offline baloo

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 11:13:25 PM »
Hey, thanks for the reply. Is the trimmer you have one of these two? I'm guessing it's the top one:

http://prostylingsource.com/Andis-Charm-Powerful-Lightweight-Compact-Hair-Clipper-Trimmer-72265-TC-1-P3032000.aspx

http://www.amazon.com/Andis-T-Outliner-Trimmer-T-Blade-04710/dp/B000143C0K

Also, you say it's small ... is it about the size of a beard trimmer? That might be too small for me. I think it took me forever to shave my head with my beard trimmer, haha.

Offline EN4CER

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 05:37:55 AM »
Hi, does anyone know how low the Andis Charm can cut down to?
And
How does it power compare to the Wahl Balding Clippers?

Thank you.

EN4
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 12:01:28 PM by EN4CER »
Growing Old Disgracefully - But Bald!