Author Topic: Powder brush vs Shaving Brush  (Read 4733 times)

Offline rookie1178

• Learning the way of Sly
Powder brush vs Shaving Brush
« on: December 16, 2013, 11:03:05 PM »
I asked a barber I know to get me a shaving brush, because I was having no luck sourcing one here in Jamaica. He called me today and said that he got it, but he kept referring to it as a powder brush. I googled powder brush and while it looks similar to a shaving brush they are clearly not the same thing (so I'm really hoping he just has his terms mixed up). My question is simple, can a powder brush be used like a shaving brush? I haven't seen it yet so I can't describe it or post pics, depending on the responses I receive I may not even take it.

Rimei Safety Razor, Arko & Derby Shaving Soap, and the sweet Omega 10049 boar brush

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Powder brush vs Shaving Brush
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 06:05:08 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

I believe that powder brushes have harder bristles.....I guess you could use them to apply shaving cream, but it's not the same thing. The best kind of shaving brush is a badger brush with softer bristles. Are there any beauty supply stores in Jamaica that you can check out? You can also order a shaving brush via E-bay or Amazon. Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 08:55:53 AM »
A barber's powder brush has long bristles and is used to apply talc to the neck after it is shaved.

Definitely not the same as the shaving brush you need.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline rookie1178

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 05:57:23 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

I believe that powder brushes have harder bristles.....I guess you could use them to apply shaving cream, but it's not the same thing. The best kind of shaving brush is a badger brush with softer bristles. Are there any beauty supply stores in Jamaica that you can check out? You can also order a shaving brush via E-bay or Amazon. Good luck!

Thanks for the response guys. I have identified a couple of dealers on ebay that I'll use. Unfortunately every supply store I've checked has been a dead end, they don't even stock shaving soap (I'm sourcing arko/derby soap straight from Turkey). The whole island seems to be addicted to aerosol shaving creams
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 06:58:24 PM by rookie1178 »
Rimei Safety Razor, Arko & Derby Shaving Soap, and the sweet Omega 10049 boar brush

Offline rookie1178

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 01:43:11 AM »
OMG ;D :*)) :@` I used my new Omega 10049 brush for the 1st time today, it's incredible! I am now officially in love with de shaving and I'm never going back

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 06:02:14 AM »
That's great news! The best part about DE shaving is that the blades are really inexpensive and if you soak them in baby oil you can get many shaves off of the same blade! BTW, rookie, when you get a chance, why don't you share some of your DE experiences in our "Safety Razor Shave of the Day" thread if you get a chance....Good luck and happy shaving!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Enter your email address: