Author Topic: Yet another ATX Review ;)  (Read 3074 times)

Offline wutwutman

• Super Sly
  • "Isaac Hayes style boy!" lol
Yet another ATX Review ;)
« on: December 12, 2013, 03:20:51 PM »
So I finally purchased a Headblade ATX.  I caught it on sale at Walgreens, so I was like.. why not?

Used it this morning with some Headslick.  Felt kind of awkward at first but after a few minutes of fumbling it felt pretty natural.  Got a pretty close shave with it.  Not quite as close as with my Hydro but I'm sure that will come with practice. I still thinks its kind of gimmicky but I have to admit it is fun to use.

My only real complaint is it is awkward to use on my face.  I ended up pulling out my Hydro to touch up.  But again, that probably will improve with practice.

So.. long story short, I'll probably keep using it for awhile.

** Wutwutman **
"To shave or not to shave... is that really a question?"

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
Re: Yet another ATX Review ;)
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2013, 03:53:00 PM »
I did not know it could be used on the beard.

To me, that seems like an extremely difficult thing to do given the HeadBlade's design.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

isleepinthebuff

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2013, 04:12:01 PM »
I'm still not convinced and just find the headblades blades blunt far quicker than the hydro. Once I've finished my blades I'll switch fully back to hydro

I have ordered some more headslick as I like the feel of that tho. Ut's pretty refreshing compared to the normal cheap gel I use

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2013, 05:04:57 PM »
I'll chime in here on the ATX.

I picked one up to give it a try. The HB4 blades were a disaster in the Sport, so thought, well, maybe there are OK in the ATX.  They ARE.  So apparently the HB 4 blades while they will attach to the sport, are not really designed for the sport and thus a poor choice in that application. I'm finding them OK and the ATX.

One thing that I like with the ATX is that with the wheels up front, it's easier to trim about the ears with the ATX.  I'm finding that the blades, for me, seem to last OK. I still have a bunch of HB 3 blades, so I'll be switching back and forth between the Sport and ATX. 

Not sure which I like best, but will likely use both from time to time. They certainly are both FUN to use.

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
  • And it harm none, do what you will.
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2013, 08:05:13 PM »
I don't know...it seems the more I use my Shark the rougher shave I get anymore.  I've gone back to using my Hydro 3 more often than not and only use the Shark on the weekends when I have plenty of time. 
One definition of "surrender" is, "To join the winning side."

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 03:00:59 AM »
I don't know...it seems the more I use my Shark the rougher shave I get anymore.  I've gone back to using my Hydro 3 more often than not and only use the Shark on the weekends when I have plenty of time. 

Wow, and the Shark is an expensive razor.

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 10:35:13 AM »
I know.  At first I was I was skeptical about the ATX design, but I tried it and it worked great.  I put up for the Shark, and at first, it seemed to word even better.  I don't know if I'm doing something different or if my hair/head has somehow changed since I started shaving sly again, but I get a lot more stripes and rough patches with the Shark than I used to and most mornings I just don't want to deal with it anymore.

Offline wutwutman

• Super Sly
  • "Isaac Hayes style boy!" lol
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 07:49:12 AM »
After 3 days of using the ATX with various gels, creams, crap in a can, and soaps.. I have to say I really enjoy using it!  My shaves are getting close to what I usually get with my Hydro.

Yes you can use the ATX on your face. I just hold the finger ring like its a "grip" and use it that way (per the Headblade instructional videos lol).  It still feel kind of awkward on the face and I do still have to occasionally touch up with the Hydro, but it's not a deal breaker.  I plan on picking up some HB blades today.  Gonna give it the 30 day run and see if I stay with it.

Question tho... isn't the Shark just a metal version of the ATX?  I was thinking that if I decided to stay with it, I might upgrade to the Shark.  But not if its going to be different..
** Wutwutman **
"To shave or not to shave... is that really a question?"

Offline Timmer

• Super Sly
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 06:53:57 AM »
The Shark is the metal version of the ATX and the only real difference in performance, is that it's got some weight to it which makes it feel more like a precision tool and less like a toy.

Like I said, it seemed to work much better for me when I first started so I'm kind of baffled at the lack of smooth that I've been experiencing.  Probably just something I'm doing.