Author Topic: Clear Zinc  (Read 3768 times)

Offline honestjohnny

• Sly Jr.
Clear Zinc
« on: July 15, 2007, 08:45:00 AM »
I found this new product at Wally Word the other day.  It contains "micronized" zinc oxide, which as we all know is the stuff that life guards would put on their noses in the old days.  Anyway, the beauty is that this version provides a physical UV barrier and dries completely clear.  I bought SPF 45 applied it at 12, went on a long hike until late, didn't reapply and I'm not even pink!  Anyway, thought I'd share this with you guys.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Clear Zinc
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 10:09:05 AM »
how much was it. i may have to look for some.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline honestjohnny

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 11:17:47 AM »
A 5 oz tube is ~$7 and there is also a stick that is labeled "Faces."   That's what I used on my head.  A little goes a VERY long way.  I had to rub the excess on my female companion (no problem there  ;)  More details:  the bottle says apply 15 min before exposure...whatever.  However, until the stuff absorbs--which took a long time because I used too much--you will have this pale overtone to your skin, kinda like in those cheesy vampire movies, 15 min later and it's gone (I timed it). 

I like it so much I'm figuring the weight of a bottle and stick into my backpacking weight O0

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 12:12:53 PM »

I like it so much I'm figuring the weight of a bottle and stick into my backpacking weight O0

what kinda pack do you have. i had a lowe contour IV but it is gone. looking at maybe starting to build up my backpacking equip again.

Offline honestjohnny

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 12:43:18 PM »
I pack on the cheap.  So I have an Outdoor Research 3500+ cu. in. internal frame that I got at Wally World for $30.  Couldn't even tell you the model  ;D  I do light weight, so I took the stays out and use my pad as a frame.  I'd love to discuss this more, but I wonder if we shouldn't move it to the Hobbies section? 

Offline honestjohnny

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2007, 12:55:10 PM »
You can get a $1 coupon off this website www.solar-sense.com.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2007, 02:53:39 PM »
I pack on the cheap.  So I have an Outdoor Research 3500+ cu. in. internal frame that I got at Wally World for $30.  Couldn't even tell you the model  ;D  I do light weight, so I took the stays out and use my pad as a frame.  I'd love to discuss this more, but I wonder if we shouldn't move it to the Hobbies section? 

good point.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 12:00:50 AM »
Sweet.  My have to try that stuff out next time I'm in that big box joint.   I'm a sunscreen whore - can never have too much of it lying around.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.