Author Topic: Michael Stipe...  (Read 4278 times)

Offline seanc7nyc

• Sly Jr.
Michael Stipe...
« on: October 24, 2006, 09:05:13 PM »
Been rocking the bald look for a while...

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
Re: Michael Stipe...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2006, 04:47:29 PM »
 :D Why in the world would Michael Stipe want hair? Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline jseger11

• Sly Guy in Training
    • http://www.myspace.com/jeff52574
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2007, 12:17:04 PM »
Michael Stipe has been bald for so long I can hardly remember what he looked like with hair.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2007, 01:03:06 PM »
Yeah, what does he look like?

???
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline cs1solo

• Sly Jr.
    • resDeus
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 12:26:28 PM »
The clean bald look works really well for Stipe because he’s so skinny.  Skinny bald guys on stage have a nice presence.  If you’re fat or slightly overweight (such as myself), you just look like an average guy.  This is unless you cover it up with lots of facial hair, piercing and tats.  I don’t have any of these so my band’s manager insists that I wear a hat on stage until I drop 20 pounds (hence the hat in my pic).

I am heavily influenced by Michael Stipe and REM in my career.  Stipe was one of the first mainstream musicians to turn to the blade (at least in my time), then others followed.  When he first shaved (just before Monster was released), the press made a big deal out of it, then it became ok to be bald on stage.  I am grateful that he opened up that door.

REM is great, Peter Buck has been my number one influence on my playing style; lots of miner chords and simple riffs. No solos.

Offline Cam

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • The honey tastes sweeter when you anger the bees.
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 02:12:53 PM »

lots of miner chords and simple riffs. No solos.

It's good to hear that someone else likes to play that style as well. I am an all acoustic guitarist and I like to keep it simple, it just sounds better that way.

Offline cs1solo

• Sly Jr.
    • resDeus
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 02:56:29 PM »

lots of miner chords and simple riffs. No solos.

It's good to hear that someone else likes to play that style as well. I am an all acoustic guitarist and I like to keep it simple, it just sounds better that way.
Thank you! I don’t have the respect of some guitarist because I don’t thrash.  Come on, it’s not like it’s that hard to do.  Just learn a few shapes and play in different orders.  Sure I used to do it but the more I mature as a musician, the more all thrash guitarist sound the same to me.  The 80’s are over, nobody wants to hear a guitar solo, unless it’s short, clear and accessible.
I do still love to play the acoustic, keep it up.  The world needs to know that music is not all about hair and makeup.

Offline MR. CLEAN

• All the Ladies wanta Know me, All the Fellas' wanta be me... 'Cause I'm Money
  • Super Sly
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 02:23:43 PM »
Keep it Simple, thats my philosophy on music and Life!  Thrashing is nice, but last I checked the Acoustic an Simple Rifts always cross the battle lines to hit appeal with people from all over the spectrum.  Its not about how loud you play, its about how well you can put the rifts together!  O0
Peace