Author Topic: IN HIGH SCHOOL, AND COMPLETELY BALD  (Read 14603 times)

Offline baldhighschooler

• Sly Guy in Training
IN HIGH SCHOOL, AND COMPLETELY BALD
« on: November 10, 2013, 10:44:09 PM »
So I need help with something... I'm in my senior year of high school. I had a lion's mane thing going on when I was 14. Girls used to play in my hair all class long.  I started balding towards the end of my Freshman year. It progressed until I was a level 7 case of Androgenic Alopecia by the time I was 16. I look like I'm middle aged... I'm currently 18 and have lost 70% of my hair. People my age are intimidated by me because I'm muscley, fatty, bald, and fully bearded. I am positively intimidating right now because I am an 18 year old right winged male with a bald head, a full beard and a large frame. I've had police and security pull up on me during after school functions asking me what I was doing with all  the kids. I've had to argue with them and show them ID's to convince them of my age. Rogaine didn't work, I don't feel like being feminized by DHT blockers, and I ended up at Hair Club for Men last month. They offered little solutions but were more than happy to grab at my wallet. I walked out without handing them a cent. Maybe the bald look will work for me when I'm a bit older, but for now, while I'm in my late teens, what can I do to bring down the scare factor? My heads already shaved...I'm going to also add that what is left grows back at an unnatural speed.

Mirror mirror on the wall, who is the baldest of them all?

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: IN HIGH SCHOOL, AND COMPLETELY BALD
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 12:20:03 AM »
Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry that you have to deal with things like this when this should be the time of your life, but with alopecia, it's obvious your options for haircuts are pretty limited (I guess). I think you're handling it well, and while the other teens are intimidated, you could be friendly with them and show that you are not a bad guy....As far as the beard, do you think cutting it down to a goatee might help you look younger? Anyway, good for you for walking out on the hair club, they won't do anything but take your money. It seems like you're willing to accept being bald over the drugs and plugs, but stick around and we can help you get through this. Good luck for the remainder of your senior year!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline baldhighschooler

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 01:16:00 AM »
I've tried to keep my beard trimmed down like in my picture recently. I still get called things like "pedo" in class. Thats been a reoccurring nick name since I lost my vertex hair when I was 14. When I ran my hand through my hair during the ACT test, I had a handful of hair. When I got home, I don't know what I did to trigger the alopecia so early, but my hair was just like my 70 year old grandpas. I have to say this: It's really good of you guys to help people out with this particular issue. Bald looks great. It really creates a look of virility, but for a person with aggressive premature alopecia, it can really stump a social life because most people in my age group are extremely shallow and judge based on appearances. I hope what I have is a rarity.In school, you hear your name being whispered and you see people pointing at your head. Security harasses you. Girls cringe when you get near them. School dances are a hell because everybody thinks your older and wants to see your ID. I've been held down by four people while a fifth drew on my head with a sharpie. Luckily, outside of school, I actually get a lot of positive attention because of it... But going bald in high school is a nightmare.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 05:41:47 AM »
Yes, it's unfortunate that teenagers can be so shallow....however, you have no right to be bullied, the Sharpie incident was pure harassment and I would have reported it.....I think it speaks volumes that the school did nothing when that happened. Do you think it might be better if you went clean-shaven on the face at least until the school year is over? We do have some members here that are younger than you that can chime in....but trust me, some teens are so insecure with themselves, they find anything to pick on someone for (I got picked on a lot for not wearing name-brand clothes, for example). But stay strong, hang in there, and keep us posted, we're here to help you through this!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 06:16:12 AM »
Ugh. Thank you for reminding me why I don't want to go back to high school. Sorry you are going through this, sir.

Before I read Sir Harry's last post, I was thinking what he suggested: lose the beard if you want to look younger. Beards add about five years to the appearance of a guy your age. Ironic, isn't it, that most guys your age would kill to be able to grow a beard like yours?

Glad you joined us.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 07:57:12 AM by Cave Dweller »
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 07:53:48 AM »
Welcome.

I like the way you expressed yourself in your post.  You seem to also be more mature than other High Schoolers on the inside as well.  I think there are good things ahead for you.  High School can be a difficult time for anybody, but you have an extra heaping of difficulty placed on you with this.  I agree with Sir Harry about the bullying and think you should talk with a guidance counselor about it... even if you don't want to be specific to who it was...just talk the them and explain your situation.  See if they can help you come up with a way to make it easier.

I also agree that it may make it a little easier to be clean-shaven on your face right now.  The facial hair will help you later for sure, but maybe for now it would make it easier for you while in school.  

People can be cruel, especially in adolescence.  People try to build themselves up by tearing others down... sometimes even out of jealousy.  If a High Schooler can't grow a beard, he may make fun of a guy who can, and he instantly feels better about himself (for a while).  Just know that they all have their insecurities as well (maybe for reasons that are not quite as visible as yours or even realistic reasons).  

Hang in there.  

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 03:28:42 PM by slymyke »

Offline PKingsley

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: Re: IN HIGH SCHOOL, AND COMPLETELY BALD
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 09:26:52 AM »
I do not want to scare you because you are more than likely unique in your maturation rate and nothing more.  I do suggest that you and your parents go for you to have an endocrinology work up because you have displayed secondary male sex characteristics so early.  (Maybe you have done so?)  This is just be sure there is nothing triggering this that may need treatment. 
I am glad for how much you trust this place to tell us all that you have.  You are a courageous young man!

isleepinthebuff

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 12:08:52 PM »
I feel for you mate but it sounds like you're someone who has the strength to be that little bit different. To be confident, warm and mature, that'll make you not scary and others will continue to warm to you,

All the best

Offline baldhighschooler

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 01:44:49 PM »
I'm actually supposed to have my endocrine glands checked out here soon. My doctor suspects that there is something seriously out of balance with my growth hormones... I'll also add that I've been having tumors and growths cut out of my head since I was 8. So I guess it could make sense. Whats the youngest any of you have seen someone develop MPB?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 02:35:16 PM »
Once you're out of high school things get easier.  Hang in there; it's just a few more months.

Offline PKingsley

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: Re: IN HIGH SCHOOL, AND COMPLETELY BALD
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 05:09:11 PM »
Ah yes, because some tumors can secrete the hormones in excess of what is the normal amount.  I am glad to see that you will go to doctor to check this further.
It is so hard already to be a young man these days, but I see you take the situation and make it best as possible.

Offline baldhighschooler

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 12:26:51 AM »
Thanks all, you guys are a real help. I've got one of the most extreme cases in my age group according to my doctor. It's crushing at this age. I know college will be different, and most people in the family and in my circle would laugh themselves to death if they knew I had to resort to this forum for support on something perceived to be so superficial... But really. Just skimming over your comments every once in a while armors me for the next day. You guys are awesome!

andrewswenson

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 12:37:21 AM »
It's only hair dude. If people give you sh*t...just fug-ged-ab-aaadit. You're too gnarly for them to handle being a senior with a bald head :D

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 05:16:39 AM »
Thanks all, you guys are a real help. I've got one of the most extreme cases in my age group according to my doctor. It's crushing at this age. I know college will be different, and most people in the family and in my circle would laugh themselves to death if they knew I had to resort to this forum for support on something perceived to be so superficial... But really. Just skimming over your comments every once in a while armors me for the next day. You guys are awesome!

I bet you will find college to be a completely different ball of wax.  My son hated high school and had very few friends.  Right now he is a sophomore in college and is having the time time of his life.  He's met a lot of people and a has a great group of friends.  I hope that happens for you, too.

And losing one's hair and the feeling of dread that can accompany it is superficial for those not going through it, but for those us experiencing it, the feelings are legit. Hopefully we eventually realize that we are much more than a head of hair and that there really are much more important things in life.
Bronx bald and bred!

Offline fcb2001

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa (11 June to 11 July 2010)
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Bald for Life
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2013, 01:25:39 AM »
Once you graduate things will get better. A lot of your classmates are silly and immature. Once they get older they will mellow out and they may be apologizing about things.

Enter your email address: