Author Topic: Review: Shea Moisture Shave Soap and Aubrey Organics Aftershave Balm  (Read 5887 times)

Offline wutwutman

• Super Sly
  • "Isaac Hayes style boy!" lol
It's been a bit since I posted but recently found a couple of new products at the Vitamin Shoppe http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/.  So here goes:

The first is Shea Moisture Shea Butter & African Black Soap Shave butter (i know thats a long ass name lol)

Right off the bat, let me say that if you're a fan of thick lather, this isn't the product for you.  It dosent really lather at all.  On the packaging it recommends lathering it up with a brush but in my experience that really didnt produce any lather (or my brush is super crappy).  That aside, I have had some of the closest shaves with it!  Although it dosent lather, it's an all natural blend of botanicals that has a very creamy, smooth texture that lets the blade just glide through it.  I typically shave with a Fusion Pro cart razor (yeah I know) and my head has been baby butt smooth (where did that saying come from?)!  If it has a scent, to be honest it must be super faint because I havent detected it.  To me it has a very neutral smell. 

So to break it down... I'm using a typical 1- 5 rating system.  1 = poor, 5 = Excellent. :

Scent - 3.  Like I said I can't really smell anything, but thats not a bad thing.  At least it dosent stink right?

Lather - 0.  Lather is pretty much non existent.

Quality - 4.  Very rich. smooth texture.  Packaged well.

Price - 3.  Just getting into creams so I don't know the range yet.  This was around $8.

Overall I give this product the thumbs up!

Next is Aubrey Organics Aftershave Balm - City Rhythm.

I actually only tried this one because it was 50% off, but I think it was a decent choice.  It's a botanical gel based balm in a pump.  The pump is kindy wonky.  I think because occasional chunks of herbs get clogged in it.  I like the fact that it's not alcohol based, as an alternative.  It goes on feeling very "Wet" but absorbs quickly and leaves no oily or sticky feeling.  This "City Rhythm" version has a very subdued scent.  Kind of a woodsy, outdoorsy scent.  Which is surprising since this is supposed to be their "urban" blend.  But aside from that, so far it's a pretty pleasant change from my regular rotation.  At this point, when its gone, I don't know that I'll purchase it again but eh...

I'd recommend giving this one a try if you can find it on sale.  I got it 50% off for under $5.  I don't think I'd pay more for it.

Hope you found this interesting!

Links:

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/shea-moisture-shea-butter-african-black-soap-shave-butter-6-oz-cream/7q-1066#.UmV3G_mkpsg - Shave Soap

http://www.vitaminshoppe.com/p/aubrey-organics-men-stock-city-rhythms-after-shave-balm-4-fl-oz/ao-1333#.UmV6C_mkpsg - After Shave

** Wutwutman **
"To shave or not to shave... is that really a question?"

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Review: Shea Moisture Shave Soap and Aubrey Organics Aftershave Balm
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 03:30:51 AM »
I have a tub of the first item you mentioned, and like you said, it has a nice smell, but it does not lather well. I had to drop in a few drops of Headslick to make a lather.....even Shave Secret couldn't help this product make a lather. Will have to give the other product a try someday, thanks for the reviews!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline wutwutman

• Super Sly
  • "Isaac Hayes style boy!" lol
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 09:44:46 AM »
Thanks!

I gave up on trying to lather it LOL  I just smooth it on with the brush.  Like I said thought have been getting super close shaves with it.  Just started shaving my face also and I like it there too...I'm going to try the Headslick addition though!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 09:47:08 AM by wutwutman »
** Wutwutman **
"To shave or not to shave... is that really a question?"

Offline JoeMoeJr

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »
I'm definitely interested in the first product. Thanks for the heads up!

Offline MunkyMunk

• Sly
  • Won't shave below the neck
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 07:38:33 PM »
These are awesome reviews, wutwutman! Thanks for the detailed info!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 10:49:20 PM »
Thanks for posting these great reviews!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.