Author Topic: New member saying hello and a quick question  (Read 3713 times)

andrewswenson

New member saying hello and a quick question
« on: October 18, 2013, 12:38:45 PM »
Good afternoon gents. I'm a bald by choice man who is 21 years of age.

A little about me:

I shaved my head about a year ago as an experiment during the winter time (which was the worst time to do it) and I loved the way I could feel water hit my head and the way my pillow case felt when I went to sleep. But as far as how I thought I looked, I didn't dig it at all. I quickly grew my hair back with some mutton chops (I can grow a true beard and style it pretty awesome) but one day I shaved them off and only had hair on my head. I realized that I looked ridiculous unless I had the combination of head hair and facial hair and I HATE the way I feel when I have a beard or any facial hair style like chops. I never feel clean even after I shower, I get flakes that never go away, I'm always itchy. So I've always accepted that even though I have the genetic ability to grow an amazing beard, I never will because it's just not comfortable no matter how well I take care of it. Although my receding hairline is not extremely bad, it's enough to see that clearly I'm losing it but I've never let going bald bother me. It seems that it bothers a lot of men out there but I'm more of an accepting and go-with-the-flow kind of person so it's natural for me to embrace it. I decided not long after that winter that I would experiment again and shave my head one more time and it's never grown back since. I love the way it feels, but more importantly I accepted the way I look with a slick dome which made it even better. It's also a way for me to let go of the ties of caring so much about how I look kind of like why buddhist monks shave their heads but I know it's more spiritual for them. It keeps me a casual and anti-fashion kind of man which I feel is truly who I am. 

I don't do what a lot of guys do and buy into the unnatural shaving routine with chemically filled products and 5-bladed razors. I use Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap to wash my head and body, Kiss My Face unscented shave cream, the classic Gillette Sensor to shave, and for post-shave I use Nature's Gate Tea Tree Oil Lotion to moisturize while having the tea tree in there for antiseptic properties. It's the PERFECT regimen for me. However, I still don't enjoy how long it takes me to shave the head and face. I shave once every two days and it's pretty fast but I want to get faster at it while still doing a good job. Does anyone know if I bought a straight razor, if I would be able to just do 1 pass on the whole head and face for everything and be done with it? The five blade cartridge razors are junk and take off layers of my skin. The two bladed Sensor is awesome but it requires more passes which I guess I will take over bad irritation any day. But do any experienced straight razor users find that it's faster and more efficient in the long run with one of those? Please let me know and thanks for taking the time to read this.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: New member saying hello and a quick question
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 03:29:49 PM »
Welcome to teh Froum, Andrew! Sorry I can't help you with the straight razor question. Someone will chime in.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 09:03:07 PM »
Hi Andrew.  Welcome.  The bald head looks great on you.  And I'm with you.  I love the process of shaving, but not the time it takes.  Right now I'm in this lazy mode of shaving head and face once a week and living with stubble.  I just clean the cheeks and neck!  Not sure about the single blade. Curious, though.
Bronx bald and bred!

Marshal S.

Re: Re: New member saying hello and a quick question
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 09:51:16 PM »
I think the answer is no.  From what I read, straights and DEs take longer to shave.  There is also a steep learning curve to using a straight razor.

Offline Titus13

• Bald guy in New York
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 09:20:16 AM »
you might want to try a de at first before a straight a little bit easier for a novice
GI

andrewswenson

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 04:54:33 AM »
Thanks for all the responses guys. Nice to find a place even if it is in a virtual world that is filled with kind and decent people. Titus13, I have tried a de razor on my face and head and it never worked out for me. I learned how to do it properly but it still just cut me up too much and was a very slow process. I'm not sure if a straight razor would be any different in terms of better or worse than a DE so I guess that's why I'm asking. Look forward to hearing more responses and thanks again.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 07:53:11 AM »
Welcome, Andrew! It so happens that I own a straight razor as well as a DE. I only got into DE shaving last year thanks to a couple of friends, but I've had my straight razor since 2010. Personally, both can give you a very good shave, but given the sharpness of both, I wouldn't use either on days that you need a quick shave (the Head Blade products are the best if you are in a hurry). Straight razor and DE shaves are relaxing, however, you need to commit some time if using either. Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

andrewswenson

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 01:23:32 PM »
Welcome, Andrew! It so happens that I own a straight razor as well as a DE. I only got into DE shaving last year thanks to a couple of friends, but I've had my straight razor since 2010. Personally, both can give you a very good shave, but given the sharpness of both, I wouldn't use either on days that you need a quick shave (the Head Blade products are the best if you are in a hurry). Straight razor and DE shaves are relaxing, however, you need to commit some time if using either. Good luck!

Right on man. To be honest, I'll never buy the headblade. Seems like just another marketing gimmick to me. I do fine with the sensor. But it sounds like you're saying the straight razor takes a long time. In that case, I guess I'll just have to live with the time it takes me to use the sensor. Thanks for your input I appreciate it.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 03:13:08 PM »
I can tell you that the HeadBlade, while not for everyone, is definitely not a gimmick.  I use the ATX with HB double or Sensor Excel blades and it works WAY BETTER than any other razor for me.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline g_bald

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Bald IS beautiful... and it will always be so!
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 08:26:35 AM »
Welcome Andrew!

I can tell you that I also own a straight blade, the thing is it is EXCEEDINGLY sharp. I tried a little area to test and got 4 blood spots. Someone else on SBG had said they would not try it on the scalp, although some barbers will do this.

I would be afraid of looking like a medical experiment when I was done.  :*))

I like the HeadBlade but I have not gotten a real close shave with mine, for some reason. I need to go online and watch some vids and see if I can figure it out. I agree with Tyler though, it's not a gimmick. Your shave routine sounds excellent, though. I like how you do it. Do you use a brush? That helps me A LOT. I get flakes around my eyebrows and used to on my scalp, but since shaving and using lotion they are gone. I'm thinking maybe I should shave my eyebrows too...  ;D

Good luck and keep posting!

andrewswenson

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 12:07:11 PM »
Welcome Andrew!

I can tell you that I also own a straight blade, the thing is it is EXCEEDINGLY sharp. I tried a little area to test and got 4 blood spots. Someone else on SBG had said they would not try it on the scalp, although some barbers will do this.

I would be afraid of looking like a medical experiment when I was done.  :*))

I like the HeadBlade but I have not gotten a real close shave with mine, for some reason. I need to go online and watch some vids and see if I can figure it out. I agree with Tyler though, it's not a gimmick. Your shave routine sounds excellent, though. I like how you do it. Do you use a brush? That helps me A LOT. I get flakes around my eyebrows and used to on my scalp, but since shaving and using lotion they are gone. I'm thinking maybe I should shave my eyebrows too...  ;D

Good luck and keep posting!

Yo g_bald! Thanks for the reply. It sounds like I'm just gonna pass on the straight razor. I don't want my head looking like a medical experiment either.

I used to actually have a problem with bad dandruff and I refused to try those garbage head and shoulders products. I used them when I was young and it was a big mistake. But I believe that was part of the reason why I shaved my head was to see how it helped and it did but it was still there sort of. I realized it was a combination of things like overscrubbing, using a 50 bladed cartridge razor like the Fusion, and also the products I was using. I havent had a problem since I switched my routine and it feels great. I used to use a brush on my face, and I am highly allergic to the beaver fur or whatever that is. It would poke and make my face break out in hives...and then I had to continue shaving! It was a nightmare. I stopped using the brush and never went back to it. I realize I can get a synthetic one but I don't really see the point. I use my hands and I have the perfect amount of control with where I want to put the shave cream.

I actually am growing my eyebrows back right now from shaving them off like three weeks ago. I will NEVER do it again but I did it because I went too crazy with plucking and ended up making my eyebrows look ridiculous so I shaved them off as the solution. It was the bravest thing I ever did to myself physically. Shaving my hair off my head was nothing...but shaving off my eyebrows was insane. It completely erases your identity as a person when you see yourself with no eyebrows and you look like a chemo patient, or one that just got out of a nuthouse. Everyone around me couldn't look at me without laughing hysterically which made me laugh too. They've grown back fast though and by the end of november should be fully back to normal. So if you want to shave your eyebrows I would say do it once and NEVER do it again.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 03:23:28 PM »
Welcome Andrew
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 04:13:15 PM »
Wow, Andrew!  And I was pissed when I took a chunk out of my goatee and had to shave it off!  I can't imagine what shaving off your eye brows is like.  You are a brave man and must have a lot of confidence! ;)
Bronx bald and bred!

andrewswenson

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 08:22:07 AM »
Wow, Andrew!  And I was pissed when I took a chunk out of my goatee and had to shave it off!  I can't imagine what shaving off your eye brows is like.  You are a brave man and must have a lot of confidence! ;)

Haha thanks Mike. I didn't have any confidence when I shaved them off to be honest. It wasn't till they grew back a little bit that I felt alright being out in public. At first, it was pretty crippling because I knew just looking at myself with a shaved head and eyebrows that people were going to be taking some second glances....and oh man they did. But thankfully, like I said, they grew back fast. I like your bald look though dude. Classy.

Offline Mike E. P.

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2013, 04:20:42 PM »
Thanks, Andrew!  I've got this old aunt that doesn't grow eyebrows anymore so she draws them on.  She always looks surprised!
Bronx bald and bred!