Author Topic: whats better? shaving foam or shaving soap  (Read 5086 times)

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
Re: whats better? shaving foam or shaving soap
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 03:54:04 PM »

I just use Edge Gel (same as my face)...well what little I shave of it these days.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 03:55:45 PM by slymyke »

Offline DanO

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2013, 08:34:16 AM »
My vote goes for shaving soap.  It may take a little extra time, but it's time well spent.

MikeInPdx

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 12:17:45 PM »
Back when I started making my own soaps for other purposes, I made shaving soap as well. Much nicer than anything in a can.

Offline g_bald

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Bald IS beautiful... and it will always be so!
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 01:00:32 PM »
I'm firmly in the soap/brush camp on this one. I love lathering up and 'painting' my dome, the bristles feel awesome and I know they are doing a good job exfoliating and getting my skin ready for a pleasurable shave!  :)

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 07:27:50 PM »
Head slick.

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2013, 08:45:31 PM »
I've got to agree on using a good quality cream or soap, and a brush.  in all honesty, it doesn't really take much more time than just spraying stuff from a can and rubbing it on.
When you're showering, let your brush soak for a few minutes, then when you're ready to shave you shake the excess liquid off your brush, swirl it on your soap for 20 seconds, and apply to your head.  With cream, it's even easier, just squirt a bit of cream into the end of the wet brush and apply to your head. 

The difference in the quality, feel, and skin care of a good cream or soap more than makes up for the extra 30 seconds or so it takes to prepare.  And shaving this way has made shaving my head and face something I look forward to, rather than a chore I just have to do!

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 12:52:29 AM »
Must say was impressed at the turkish barbers , the barber used soap and a very large brush to lather my head

Offline wutwutman

• Super Sly
  • "Isaac Hayes style boy!" lol
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 12:16:16 PM »
I'd go with an all natural soap.  Anything that reduces the number of chemicals you're exposed to on a daily basis is good LOL  Plus I love the lather, smell, and close shave I get with them.  Currently experimenting with shaving creams...  so far so good.
** Wutwutman **
"To shave or not to shave... is that really a question?"

Offline Jay

• Sly
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 05:50:38 PM »
Brushes don't need to be expensive. You can find Omega brand boat brushes at your local pharmacy for $10. Once broken in the work very well

Offline xabydaddy

• Sly
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2013, 07:24:06 AM »
I prefer shaving soap when I'm shaving at the sink but use HeadSlick in the shower when I need a quicker shave.

Offline antoniom

• Sly
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 05:40:29 PM »
I do not have the money for shaving soap so I use shaving gel from a can or tube when I order some more bump defense or bald guyz sometimes when I by razors (depending on where you go like a wearhouse store walmart or target or any drug store)come with a free shave gel like what gillette company does sometimes schick. Who can pass up a freebie or by a can of gel like I did and get a free razor? All about trying save when on a budget. What's the price range on a straight razor and some shaving soap?

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 11:32:31 PM »
Where you live will affect the prices you pay, but excellent quality soaps can be found very cheap in lots of places.

In the UK Palmolive shave sticks are around 50p. Good quality creams a couple of quid, but the stick is such a bargain.
That said, some high end soaps can cost the earth!

Straight razors (shave ready) can be bought from whipped dog for around 40 US dollars.  High end models or custom builds can probably go into the high hundreds or even thousands.

Shavettes are a cheaper way to experience something slightly similar.  Good Parker models are around 20 dollars on amazon.

I strongly recommend badgerandblade.com.  Far and away the friendliest people and a huge source of information on everything wet-shaving (amongst other things)...

Offline antoniom

• Sly
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2013, 12:20:24 PM »
I'll check it out and see