Author Topic: Newbie review of HB  (Read 3691 times)

Offline Cerebus

• Sly Guy in Training
Newbie review of HB
« on: July 10, 2007, 07:46:43 PM »
So before tonight, I had shaved my head a whopping 2 times, only using my Fusion.  I stopped into WW on the way home from work tonight to pick up some shave gel (since I'll be using way more than ever before) and there on the top shelf all alone was a HB Sport.  I knew right then I had to give it a good home.   :)  I gave it a test spin about 30 minutes ago and these are my thoughts.

For the largest sections of my head, front and back, it work very well ...better than the Fusion IMO.  It did take some pressure in a couple spots along the top and at the back of my neck, to get it baby smooth.  Shaving the sides of my head, particularly near my ears, and the crown where I got that cowlick thing happening, it was a little more difficult.  I couldn't get it done with the HB on my finger like you're supposed to use it.  I had to grasp it from the sides and wheel it along my scalp.  It worked fairly well that way, as good as the Fusion IMO.  I did manage to nick myself on the side, but that is squarely my fault as I was taking short, quick strokes instead of taking my time.

Overall, I give the HB a thumbs up  O0 and find it better than my Fusion.  I will continue to use it and I'm certain my technique will improve.

On a related note, there was a lonely bottle of Head Slick next to the HB.  I was going to buy it until I noticed the HB had a little sample tube included.  I decided I would wait and test it before buying a bottle.  I must say the HS is way better than my Edge Gel.  I will be stopping by WW tomorrow and giving that bottle of HS a new home as well.  Another thumbs up.   O0

Now I have a question for the routine HB users.  I believe the cartridge it came with is an Atra.  It also included an adapter to use Sensor catridges.  Is there a general concensus on which catridge is better?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 07:49:17 PM by Cerebus »

Offline hipstersaint

• Sly
Re: Newbie review of HB
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 07:57:50 PM »
  I use the generic version of the Atra and they work just fine.... the nice thing is you can get 20 at CVS for $7.99. I usually only use each blade once of twice. which is part of the advantage of the HB.
    as far as the trickier parts of your head, I think with practice you'll find it gets easier. after awhile using a regular razor feels really awkward by comparison.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 08:17:38 PM »
Glad you are liking the HeadBlade there Cerebus, swear by mine also.  I prefer the sensor blades but if you ask around it is a bit of a split depending on local cost, availability, etc.  To avoid those nicks remember to just take it easy with the only pressure on the wheels.  There's a good video called HeadBlade 101 on their website.  One other things the bros here have taught me was to use only about a quarter to dime size amount of HeadSlick,  this should be all you need for a slick shave.  Hope that helps. keep it sly bro
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 08:58:43 PM »
Glad you like the HeadBlade bro!  I'm a big fan of the Sensor Excel blades, but the Atra also works well for me.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 09:55:12 PM »
I've only tried the Atra style blades.  I use the generic ones, but they last me a long time.  Your technique will improve with time; don't rush.  Also, don't try to do anything fancy... front to back, back to front -- that's about it.  Anything else, and you will probably pay a price.  If there are places that just don't work, use a regular blade to do the finishing touch.  I couldn't be a daily shaver without the HB, and Headslick is my favorite.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline Timmay

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2007, 10:06:19 PM »
Cerebus I agree with you bro.  THat headslick stuff is great. I have yet to go out and buy some.  I also used the sample pack the HBsport came with.  I almost didnt buy the HBSport cause at our local CVS htey had it but it cost like 13.99 and the Headslick there cost 9 bucks.  I found the HBSport at Walmart for 9.59 and the headslick ( when they get it back in stock) cost only 5.99.  I have just tried different blades that I have around the house here.  I was alway constantly changing different razors..from the Fushion to Sensor to MachIII.  I prolly have enough replacement blades here to last me over a year.  Oh well another reason to continue being sly...Gotta use up all the blades HONEY!...if the wife asks lol.  Hey you are all cool...So see ya around
Tim

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2007, 11:32:42 PM »
Yeah, it does take a little practice especially around the ears but as you use it more I think you'll like it more too!   ;) 

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline VFRWolf

• Sly VFR Rider
  • Super Sly
    • My off roading page
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 04:08:08 AM »
I just recently tried the sensor blades, and have to say I prefer the Atra, seems to do better on my head.  I purchase the cryo'ed atra blades from greatblades.com.  They last a bit longer.
Rob
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/071117/sampa714ba256de1d637.jpg[/img] [/url]

BaldRob

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2007, 07:34:36 PM »
I've tried the Sensor, HB Doubles, HB Triples, and the Atras... The Atra Plus blades (yes, I buy the real ones) work the best for me.

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
Right now I use the HB Triples - however, am considering trying some of the other blades to see if I can rid of just a hint of razor burn.
"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts." - Coach John Wooden

[img]http://tickers.Tick

Offline AndrewDockery

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2007, 06:18:54 PM »
Yeah man, I have been using a Headblade for about 4 or 5 years and I still cut myself, especailly around where the top of my ear meets my head. I sometimes go back and trim that area with a regular razor to save myself some bleeding, lol ! I like the Head Blade Head Lube cream alot too, its easier to clean out of the razor between strokes.  O0