Author Topic: Help with repeated cuts.  (Read 1013 times)

Offline Daven

• Super Sly
Help with repeated cuts.
« on: September 23, 2013, 07:01:52 PM »
Soon after I started shaving my head I discovered the head blade and started using that. I was only able to use it for about a week before I realized it was not going to work for me, (because of my arthritis I need to hold a longer handle). So I switched to the Shick Hydro five razor with its blades. For three and half years I've had no problems until about two weeks ago when my wife bought me new blades in the new holder because my old one was getting icky.  I normally  shave my head every other morning because I have sensitive skin. Since she got me the new razors and the new blades, I am cutting the crown of my head badly with every shave. It's basically if I had a horseshoe hairline it would be where the top of the horseshoe is in different areas around my scalp. Can anybody explain to me what I could be doing wrong? Thank you.

(It also might be important to let you know that when she bought me my new razor and blades she bought me the Shick Hydro five disposables, instead of the regular handle it has cheaper handles. It came 4 handles and blades in a pack. I'm wondering if those blades are just angled wrong.

AKA Gimpy

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Help with repeated cuts.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 07:39:09 PM »
Well Daven... I just went thru about a 2 month period where I was cutting myself about every other shave. Some of the cuts were pretty nasty. It all started when I went from using the HB triples on my HeadBlade to other blades (nobody local is carrying the HB triples anymore and I refuse to pay what HB is asking for the 4 blade cartridges).

But ever so slowly, after trying several different cartridge types with varying degrees of blood letting, I settled on the Gillette Sensor 3 cartridges and went from cuts to minor nicks here and there. After using them for about a month, nicks and cuts are a thing of the past.

Just this evening I stopped for cartridges and saw the Gillette Custom 3 disposables. I bought a pack of 4 for less than $8. They fit the black HB adapter and man did I get a great shave with that cartridge.

Anyway.... I think we just get used to the feel of our regular cartridge and when we try something new there is a good chance that there will be an adjustment period.

Also..... every once in a while we just temporarily lose our shaving "Mojo". It will return.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
Re: Help with repeated cuts.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 08:19:07 PM »
As weird as it may sound, I have to pull my skin taught to avoid cuts. While one hand is working the razor, the other is at the top of my head pulling the dome's skin up to make the sides as tight as possible.

Most of my cuts happen when I let the skin go loose. It slips into the blade just about every time.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)