Author Topic: DE shaving not smooth  (Read 7294 times)

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
DE shaving not smooth
« on: September 20, 2013, 07:24:21 AM »
DE friends, I have  read your posts about DE safety razor shaving and decided to give it a try.  I used one for daily headshaves for over two weeks, and just cannot seem to get as smooth as I could with my M5.  It seems I just can't get all the correct angles for the rigid safety razor to get close over all the bony bumps and irregularities on my head.  I did manage to reduce the bloodbath to a manageable level.  I would equate the shave quality with my DE at the same level as my M5 after 8 hours or so.  Since I don't shave my face, I do not have a comparison there, but I suspect it would be better given the face is less bony and rigid.

I have since returned to my M5 to get the satisfaction of a smooth dome and to reduce the time.  I can easily get a week or more of shaving with a single M5 cartridge and at $1.50 each , the cost is acceptable to me for a smooth shave.  So the motivation for a DE would be to get a better shave.  If you guys have any tricks that have not already been posted, let me know.  I am willing to try again - although I did just purchase a box of 24 M5 cartridges for my M5 from Amazon (hard to find at my locally). 

SlyBeard

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
Re: DE shaving not smooth
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 09:16:05 PM »
I say go with what works best for you. You tried DE and it didn't pan out for you.
I gave DE head shaving about a month before I decided that my ATX did a better job in half the time.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline DanO

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 03:24:23 AM »
The best hint I could give for DE shaving is not to put any pressure on the razor at all, it's own weight should be enough to do the job.

Also, finding the right blade is important.  Too sharp and you'll still be cutting yourself, too blunt and you'll be dragging the damn thing over your scalp.

For me, I use "Wilkinson Sword Classic" blades, which cost me 59p (about a dollar) for five blades, and I get four good shaves (cheeks, neck and head) to a blade.  Mind you, checking online it looks like I'm getting a very good price for them - so I'd better stock up whilst I can!

In the end though - just use whatever works best for you.

Offline Bespoke

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 07:58:41 AM »
I agree that you should go with what gives you the best results. DanO is right about blades, it's really trial & error. Wilkinson is my brand of choice too (if you're near a Walmart, they sell a 10 pack for like $1.80.) You can also try buying a blade sampler pack with a bunch of different blades to try. I think above all else, DE shaving requires patience so you can hone your technique and alot of bloody lube! I use a preshave oil along with my shave soap that I apply with a brush. Good luck to you!

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re:
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 09:37:36 AM »
I find Wilkinson sword blades cut me to pieces, I use shark blades, and at £6 for 200 I can use a fresh blade every day, it takes longer for a de shave for sure, but I find it relaxing, but when running late, I can't risk the nicks, so use a Gillette disposable, as previously said, just let the razor do all the work, I shave wtg then atg, after a hot shower, I find using a shave oil helps a lot

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2013, 01:50:42 AM »
At least you gave it a try....Just like some people can't get the headblade to work for them, DE head shaving doesn't necessarily work for everyone. Personally, to me, part of the fun of this forum is learning the variety of products and methods that other members use. but in the end, we have to go with what works best for us. Thanks for sharing, though. (as the others would say, YMMV)
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline greatnessinc

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2013, 08:36:24 PM »
What handle and blade combo are you using?
I'd recommend getting a blade sample pack so you can try other blades without dropping too much coin. Also you might consider getting a heavier handle. Trick to DE head shaving is taking your time and not applying pressure, also make sure you maintain a proper cutting angle (this is dynamic not static). Make sure you use a thick lather on your head (I find adding a drop of headslick to my brush after shaving my face provides a rich lather).
-Winston Churchill

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 09:24:25 AM »
Thanks for all the comments.  The razor I have is a Merkur Model 180 Long Handled Safety Razor and I used it with Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades.  For now, I will stick to my M5, but I may try the DE again when my schedule relaxes a bit to allow more time.
SlyBeard

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 11:21:27 AM »
Hey there Sly Beard

Getting one of the smoothest head shaves with a DE is relatively straight forward.  If you are getting blood every time, you are either doing it wrong, or you have a difficult / problematic scalp.  Many folk use a DE on their heads. I have done it a few times, hmm, lets say 20.  At one stage I thought I could pull it off with every shave.  But here is the big negative: to get that ultra smooth head -- you have to spend TIME doing it.  This is why I don’t shave my head with a DE.  My face, yes, I am a DE Die hard with four in my artillery which serves my face perfectly.

I guess DE Head shaving is not every ones cup of tea, but well done for trying.
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline greatnessinc

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 02:44:17 PM »
I tried the 180 and didn't care for it. The Edwin Jagger 89 dbl is similar in appearance to the 180 but I feel like it's a higher quality razor.
DE shaving takes patients, if your schedule doesn't have the extra time than it isn't worth the effort but if you have the time and feel like switching it up a bit than try again. Personally I'm a fan of the Feather blades, I like the quality of the shave I get with them. Experimentation is key, it could be that a different blade and handle combo work better for you than another one.
-Winston Churchill

Offline tartanraven

• Haggis Hunter
  • Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 03:44:42 PM »
Two important things I have found when using DE and straights:  Your skin needs to become conditioned to using these types of blades (I call it becoming "Blade Faced" and "Blade Headed"....it takes time and a slow light touch in either case.  Another common source of nicks and general blood when using these is a hard to break habit of "Over shaving".  When it comes to face or scalp, it's very very common to not get a bbs shave immediately!  In time with perfection of technique you will gradually see that your shave will become smoother and smoother. 
Deus Meus Et Omnia

Offline smoothsailing

• Sly
  • hairfree = carefree
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 06:40:14 PM »
not a fan of derby blades myself.  I suggest purchasing a small combo pack before riding it off.  DE definitely isn't for everyone, and I always struggle to get super smooth on the back of my head.  In the end though, it's really all about less irritation for me.  I don't mind if the nape of my neck is the only place I can't get bbs if it means not having burning flesh for 2 days after shaving.

Also, shaving cream/soap has a lot to do with blade efficiency.  I tried out a new shave oil the other day and WOW did it change the way I shave.  The blade glided so much smoother over my head and I found I could achieve a closer shave in much less time.

Oh, and as Tartanraven said, there is some conditioning at first.  At least 3 or 4 shaves for me.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 11:20:26 AM »
I agree with greatnessinc.... Feather blade with the EJ DE89L. Great combination!

I do not shave my head with a DE razor either. I've done it and I got pretty good shaves but it takes me a long time.... time I don't usually have.

So DE for the face and the HB Sport for the head.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline tomcj2

• Sly
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2013, 03:04:44 PM »
I have 7 DE handles that I use on a 3 day rotation, but I use them only for my face.  I get a close, fast head shave with a HB Sport and triple blade cartridges.  One cartridge lasts a month.

I have tried several DE blades.  My favourite by far is the ASTRA SP, and they are very inexpensive, 100 for less than $10.  I change the blade every three days;  I have found that I can get a fourth shave from one but it is a little rough.

My favourite handles are the MERKUR slants, either the 37C or 39C.  My least favourite is a gold plated MERKUR FUTUR,  I just can't get a close shave without lots of nicks no matter what setting it is on.

Offline greatnessinc

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2013, 08:50:11 PM »
I've upgraded to the Merkur Progress, I find it to be much better than the Futur (which tends to leave nicks even on 1).
-Winston Churchill