Author Topic: best razors to use for black men!!  (Read 17438 times)

Offline g_bald

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Bald IS beautiful... and it will always be so!
Re: best razors to use for black men!!
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 12:53:27 PM »
I use an ice cube rub to close the pores, but still, the stubble does return... and WAY too fast.

The only alternative I can see is to let it grow out until it's long enough to pluck them out with tweezers (ouch!) and afford more time smooth. I don't think I can spare the two weeks to do it though, and by the time your finished... where you started will probably be starting to grow back in!!  :*))

Offline DC

• DC
  • Sly
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2013, 09:43:58 AM »
Welcome! I'm currently using the Headblade ATX, and so far, so good. The Mach 3 is also a good choice. Like the other Bros said, make sure you at least have a triple blade shaver-makes it so much easier.

With shaving stuff, I recommend either Headslick, Bald Guyz, or Shave Secret. The Headblade/Headslick stuff and Bald Guyz you can get at Walgreens, whereas you can get Shave Secret at Walmart.

Again, welcome, and keep it Sly Bro!  O0
“You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." Christopher Robin to Pooh.

Offline antoniom

• Sly
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2013, 02:20:11 PM »
I use whatever shave lubricant is on sale at the supermarket,, walmart, target. Plus a schick xtreme III is good for head shaves not just face especially for beginners or a schick, gillette twin blade or bic single blade. Cold water rinse to shut down everything do wash or do any shave prep before or after the shave?

Offline zulu

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2013, 10:09:32 PM »
Found this forum looking for product reviews on shave cream/pastes for head shaving and stumbled upon this thread. Figured I'd give my .02 after a year of a new routine. Like many black men I suffered from the ill effects of PFB when shaving. I tried everything except Magic Shave.... electrics never gave me that satisfyingly close shave, tried the rotaries, 3,4,5 blades and I still had issues. Then, one day I stumbled upon the straight razor and it all changed. I've been using a cutthroat for about a year now and have had no razor burn or ingrowns.

Like others here have said, prep is very important as the brush raises the hairs and has an exfoliating effect but using that hot towel prior to the shave to soften the hair goes a long way to getting a smooth shave (or taking a hot shower prior to shaving). I also use pre-shave oil because I tend to have very dry skin and it gives me a great barrier as well as ensures my skin is moist prior to passing a blade over it. I've been using Dovo's Shavette with the black holder and long blades which more closely mimic a traditional straight razor.

Between shaves I use pure coconut oil as a moisturizer because I hate heavy lotions which seem to increase my skin irritation by the end of the day. I could go on and on, but that's pretty much the basics.

Nice to meet you all. I'll go back to lurking now.  ;)

Enter your email address: