Author Topic: best razors to use for black men!!  (Read 17467 times)

Offline Lo

• Sly Jr.
  • first day bald
best razors to use for black men!!
« on: September 03, 2013, 09:15:01 PM »
hey guys just went bald this weekend and love it. It slowly but surely getting more smoother but I need to know what will be the best razors to use for black men while shaving? Im currently using magic shave cream but I don't want to continue to use chemicals and rather use the gel or foam. Any suggestions for a beginner

SlyFlyGuy

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: best razors to use for black men!!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 02:27:42 AM »
Just about any razor will do as long as it has at least three blades. (unless it is a DE safety razor). Believe it or not, the shave prep can go a long way towards preventing bumps. I would invest in Shave Secret (sold at WalMart). It's a small bottle, but mix in a few drops with your shaving soap/gel/cream, and it makes for much smoother and less bumpier shaves. Also, you can invest in Bump Patrol and a Shaving Brush. The Bump Patrol comes in a blue bottle and heals breakouts within two to three days, and the shaving brush makes for a better lather and a smoother shave. Feel free to PM me if you need anymore tips. Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Lo

• Sly Jr.
  • first day bald
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 04:35:34 AM »
Wow thanks a lot man very informative. I heard black men couldnt use certain razors so was curious.  Hows the Mach 3? Is that good to uses?
SlyFlyGuy

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 05:24:05 AM »
Welcome Lo!

Harry gave great advice, as usual. I will also recommend a good brush. You can buy a cheap one at Wally World but if you try a good brush (about $20 or so) you will be amazed at the difference.
I also recommend getting rid of any canned shaving creams or gels that you can buy off of a shelf somewhere. I'd get a mug to go with your brush (an old coffee cup will even do) and get some shave soaps. You can also buy soaps in tubs that can be lathered right in the tub so no mug is needed. Most GOOD soaps and creams have little or no junk in them that is bad for your skin.

Go to ItalianBarber.com and check out their stuff. I recommend RazoRock shave soaps (between $6 & $9 a tub but worth it!) or Cella shave soap. Also, for a good but inexpensive brush look at the Vulfix 1001. Very nice for the price.

Don't worry about them being in Canada... they are legit. I just ordered from them again last Friday AM. Had my package yesterday (Tuesday). Spend $60 and shipping is free.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 06:42:16 AM »
The Mach 3 is pretty good, though I have only used it once since acquiring a DE razor. I also have both versions of the HeadBlade which can give you a nice shave when you're in a hurry. Adding to what Mike posted (thanks, Mike!). as a beginner, you can get a starter brush at Walgreens for less than $10. They also sell soaps for $3 for a small tub (Remember, these are only starter versions, when you become a better shaver, you may want to get into the more advanced equipment). Also, some bottles of the Bump Patrol may come with a free shaving brush. If you have a bad problem with bumps, you can also get a small bottle of Tea Tree oil at Walgreens for $10. Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Lo

• Sly Jr.
  • first day bald
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 09:30:38 AM »
Thanks guys what exactly do the brush do. Does it help to lather?
SlyFlyGuy

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 10:29:21 AM »
ush will help the soap lather and if you load the brush with soap properly you will not have to re-load it.... just grab and make a second pass.
The hairs of the brush are also a natural exfoliator.

AND........ it just plain feels good!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re:
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 01:11:35 PM »
Some good advice from the brothers.... Not much to add....like sir harry I use a de.. its old school retro and gives a great shave...plus the blades are so cheap...using a brush and real shaving cream is so much better than just wiping on that crap in a can....as mike says...it exfoliates and gets the lather well and truly spread evenly and thickly...i use an alum block to sort out any razor rash and witch hazel followed by aloe vera after sun gel....it really gets rid of razor burn....welcome to the club...

Offline wutwutman

• Super Sly
  • "Isaac Hayes style boy!" lol
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 01:18:19 PM »
Welcome!  I typically use Fusion Proglide razors. I like the way they feel in the hand and they cut really smooth.  I also like the Schick Hydro 5 razors.  I use Headslick shaving cream mostly and some locally made shaving soap.  If you want to not use chemicals, stay away from any canned foam or gel.  I also use Bump Stopper 2.  It stops any breakouts, altho I really haven't had any since I started blade shaving ;)
** Wutwutman **
"To shave or not to shave... is that really a question?"

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 06:14:02 PM »
Welcome to Sly Bald Guys.Great advice, Sir Larry, Mike-koz and Geeman.

I sure appreciate this web site and all the information I have learned,

Take care and enjoy your new look,

Offline Lo

• Sly Jr.
  • first day bald
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 06:31:18 AM »
Thanks for the advice I'm definitely using it to help keep my head nice and smooth
SlyFlyGuy

Offline Lo

• Sly Jr.
  • first day bald
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 10:00:09 AM »
Another question how do you close your pores? Most of my head is completely smooth but the top part and a patch in the back I feel stubbles daily only time its completely smooth is after I shave. Than the next day I feel the stubble again
SlyFlyGuy

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re:
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 10:43:28 AM »
Same here, cold water rinse and ice cube rub helps, but you can't stop the stubble..hey a new catch phrase lol...

Offline Lo

• Sly Jr.
  • first day bald
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 10:48:17 AM »
Lol " can't stop the stubble" its weird my whole head is smooth except thosee areas
SlyFlyGuy

Offline wutwutman

• Super Sly
  • "Isaac Hayes style boy!" lol
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 10:02:09 AM »
I get the same issue.  All smooth except for patches over both ears and just above the crown lol
** Wutwutman **
"To shave or not to shave... is that really a question?"

Enter your email address: