Author Topic: Freshly shorn ...need the basics  (Read 9941 times)

Offline Cerebus

• Sly Guy in Training
Freshly shorn ...need the basics
« on: July 07, 2007, 06:45:08 PM »
I finally gathered the nerve to shave my head after contemplating the idea for the last year or two.  So about an hour ago I had the GF take the clippers to my mopp and I finished it up with a blade shave.  Now I need the basics for head/scalp care.

Should I just clean it with my regular soap in the shower? ...or use a specialized product?  Do most of you guys use a moisturizer of some type to keep your scalp from drying?  Anything special I need/should do to keep my noggin from breaking out?  Now that it's summer time, I plan to use a sunscreen of some type, any suggestion?

BTW, here are some pics:

Before, made it a mess to show how long it was:

Half way thru, just for S&G's:

After the clipper work was done:

And finally after a blade shave and shower:

I'm actually liking it way more than I thought.   O0

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Freshly shorn ...need the basics
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 06:52:56 PM »
Welcome Cerebus to SBG's glad to have you with us.  While everyone has to develop a routine with products that work for them here is mine.  When showering use an exfoliant such as HeadShed or St.Ives Apricot scrub
Then apply HeadSlick for your razor, I use a Headblade and Fusion for the tough spots.  Avoid disposable razors if possible.  Follow that up with a cold water rinse and either ClearHead or Bald Guyz moisturizer to avoid bumps and irritation.  Again, this is just what I use.  If you check other threads you may find other sly guy routines that are a good fit for you. 
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 08:21:30 PM »
Welcome Cerebus - helluva improvement!  Look through some of the old post and you will learn all you ever need to know - in fact more than you need to know! - about being sly!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 08:34:09 PM »
Welcome, Glad you're here.  Looks great.  Paul gave some great advice.  Just experiment and find what works best for you. O0
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 09:04:17 PM »
cerebus.... welcome 2 the sly fraternity.  u might want 2 check the threads titled "headshaving".  there are numerous posts on razors and shaving routines.  make sure u use a good razor: mach 3, fusion, headblade.  stay away from the power razors because there are numerous comments that the regular mach 3 and regular fusion blades are actually better than the power.  AVOID CHEAPO RAZORS.... remember a cheap razor= bad shave.  anyways... glad that u found us.  keep us posted as u slowly develop a routine.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Scott

• Sly Bureau
  • Celebrating 5+ Years of SLYNESS!
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 10:02:27 PM »
Welcome aboard!  Paul basically covered what you were inquiring about.  I'd just add that I use Nivea Daily Face Wash for my head/face in between using an exfoliator.  I personally prefer a Fusion or Mach 3 and I swear by using ice cubes after shaving!  It's very refreshing!  Read through several of the forums and I'm sure you'll pick up some great tips - that's the best part of slyness - getting tips from your sly brothers & sisters.

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 10:44:24 PM »
Welcome Cerebus!

Great improvement bro!  You rock the look!   O:O

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 12:00:21 AM »
Cerebrus, I love the progression pics!  Like the other guys said, check out the Head Shaving section of the site for many of our routines and tips on after care.  If you have any specific questions, we'll be sure to get you the answers.

Welcome to Sly Bald Guys!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline OzPete

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 01:01:50 AM »
Welcome to SBGs, Cerebus! Going sly is a big improvement!  O0

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 05:58:23 AM »
Welcome to the SBG family Cerebus, the Sly look suits you well. I concour with the others, check out the other threads for product usage, also there is a product review thread that may be helpful. But I wouldn't use regular soap on your head, it may dry it out too much, and sun block can be used year round.
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader

Offline rex

• Sly Jr.
  • GO SLY OR GO HOME
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 08:26:20 AM »
Hey welcome to SBG, I have been shaving fully for a week now and it is great i am sure you will enjoy the smoothness too way to go

Offline RichardN.

• Sly
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 08:46:05 AM »
Welcome.  A vast improvement, if I don't say so myself!

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 08:47:16 AM »
Welcome aboard dude. I have been shaving my head since '95 and I shave at the sink instead of the shower. I use a Fusion razor and Foamy shaving cream. I then use a Thayer's Witch Hazel Toner as an aftershave and am off to the races. About 15 minutes all told.

jp_bald

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2007, 12:29:37 PM »
hi men!!!
really cool change!!!

wellcome to sly bald guys!!!

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life