Author Topic: Use Sunscreen  (Read 8455 times)

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
Use Sunscreen
« on: August 20, 2013, 04:46:02 AM »
Seattle is known for being cloudy and rainy.  But from July through September it is quite beautiful and we get to see that bright orb called the sun!  But I started noticing what I hoped was a pimple between my right eyebrow and the top of my ear.  So I did go to the doctor yesterday and she took a biopsy.  So she is thinking it is Basal Cell Carcinoma.  It is small and I am not too worried about it.  But it does make me think of my mortality.  I have to admit, I love showing my sly noggin.  But I am going to start using sunscreen and going to start wearing hats!  I would rather do those things than get more potential cancers!  So even if you think you are not being hurt by the sun, take caution!  Tanning is not your friend!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Use Sunscreen
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 06:40:44 AM »
Thanks for the tips, Marsh! Be careful out there!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Use Sunscreen
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 08:37:24 AM »
I went to the dermatologist yesterday for a check up and was shocked to learn that I have four pre-cancerous lesions on my dome. I thought I'd been taking adequate precautions against sun exposure but apparently not. :(

He sprayed them with liquid nitrogen which should take care of them. I just hope it doesn't leave my dome permanently marked. Obviously I will need to be much more careful going forward

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 09:31:52 AM »
Everyone should be as wise as Razor and be sure to visit their doctor at least once a year.

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 11:50:46 AM »
I went to the dermatologist yesterday for a check up and was shocked to learn that I have four pre-cancerous lesions on my dome. I thought I'd been taking adequate precautions against sun exposure but apparently not. :(

Jeez. Sorry to hear that, Razor X. But at least you are on top of the problem.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 01:57:43 PM »
Hi Rob:  Sorry to hear that my friend but glad that you took care of it and that it was not serious.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 05:06:25 PM »
Sorry to hear, but glad you found out before the situation developed into something more serious.  Take care of yourself.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 05:53:20 PM »
Just got back from the dermatologist today. The mole she removed last month came back as having "unusual" cells. At least they were not cancerous. She went over every freckle on my head today.

Glad you caught it in time, Razor.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline g_bald

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Bald IS beautiful... and it will always be so!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2013, 08:44:51 AM »
Great advice, the Sun is wonderful and gives life, but the burns and other marks it leaves are NOT so wonderful.

I just started using HeadLube which is SPF30, before I was using Oil of Olay at SPF15, not great but it will help the melon color in a little, I hope!

Hopefully all you guys make out OK and there's no scary messages coming. "Everything came back fine" is so nice to hear...

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2013, 09:56:40 AM »
Razor, glad that you caught it early. Good luck to you. Rob, Go
od luck on yours also.

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 08:26:55 PM »
Well, I heard from the doctor today.  Because of the small size of the biopsy, there was nothing conclusive.  But while the growth could be cancerous, it is at least pre cancerous.  So I will be getting a call from a dermatologist soon.  But from what i know, if the growth on my head is basal cell carcinoma, it is quite treatable.  Plus the procedure would just require a office visit.  But again, hats and sunscreen are my friends!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 01:05:49 PM »
I apply sunscreen or wear a  hat whenever I expect to be out in the sun for more than a few minutes at a time.  I think my problems stem from the times that I've been caught outdoors for longer than I expected and didn't have any protection for my dome.

On an ordinary work day, my dome is only exposed to the elements for a 10-minute walk to and from the train.  I dislike wearing hats, but I'm trying to get into the habit of applying some sunscreen right before I leave the house in the morning.  The problem with sunscreen is that it needs to be reapplied during the day to be effective.  Do I really need to reapply it before leaving the office at 5 pm every day?  What do you guys typically do?

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 02:09:14 PM »
I wear a hat.

Offline Magoo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 09:02:51 PM »
Hat man almost all the time. Had melanoma on ear back in 2009.
If only all men lived by the "Golden Rule ."

Offline Christian S

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 09:48:54 PM »
I absolutely hate the smell of most sunscreens. It smells like a swimming pool. I've heard that Headblade's sunscreen is really good. What other ones are there that don't have that typical sunblock smell?

Enter your email address: