Author Topic: products  (Read 2048 times)

Offline 50plus

• Sly
products
« on: August 15, 2013, 01:53:30 AM »
With the redness I still have it's been a bit frustrating because I really want to razor it. Anyway I came up with a solution for now and it's been working really well. As the redness is only at the very top of my scalp I have been razoring everywhere else on the shnog down to next to nothing and doing the middle bit I mentioned with an electric razor. I am determined to officially join the sly fraternity.

The razors are cheap Home Brand twin blades from Woolies and I only use them once before throwing them away. They are the same ones I have been using for many years on the face and I'm very happy with them. One blade actually lasts for the head and the face but they do need to be thrown at the end.

The electric joby is a Panasonic ES-SL41 WET/DRY which is down on power a bit but I'm hoping to ditch it anyway when I can. It does the job. I also use Nivea Men Originals Moisturising Gel for the shave and Nivea For Men Replenishing Post Shave Balm when finished. I got these products very quickly one day and don't doubt I'll experiment a bit with others but these work very well at the moment with no negative reaction to the skin.

I have to say too that the razor idea has helped minimise the patchy alopecia look so that's a bonus I guess.

All the best to everyone

50plus

Offline 50plus

• Sly
products (b)
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 02:01:20 AM »
As soon as I started using the blade I realised electric shavers are nothing in comparison. It really is a unique feel and a lot cleaner looking afterwards. Also it doesn't take as long.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: products
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 04:22:10 AM »
 >:D50 plus, good to see you checking in.....Have you tried Cortisone cream for the red areas? Just a suggestion, maybe you should see a dermatologist instead of a primary physician if you haven't already. Good luck and thanks for the update!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 05:19:15 AM by Bayou Sly »
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline 50plus

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 05:44:44 AM »
Thanks Bayou Sly. The people I'm seeing on the 27th of this month are at the Dermatology Clinic at RPA. It won't be too soon either as I've waited a while. The public system is a bit like that though as we all know. Guess I should be grateful. Thanks for the good luck wish and I'll keep you posted. All the best to you.

PS: I did try the cortisone cream a while back and it did work to a point. I need something that will clear it up that last little bit. Ta

Offline Crowbar

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 08:04:41 AM »
Get a nice DE razor like an Edwin Jagger DE89 and you'll wonder why the heck you've been using cartridge razors, plus a DE is so much nicer on the skin that your skin will change
and the end of our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time

Offline 50plus

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 03:06:57 AM »
They look a bit deadly crowbar but I'm open to having a look at one up close. I'll ask at the shave shop this weekend as I was going to go and have a squiz at things. Thanks

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 05:23:03 AM »
While I am a fan of DE razors, I think that you should get used to shaving with a more traditional razor first. Just my opinion, we certainly don't want you to do unnecessary damage to your scalp. On a side note, it's good to see that you're ready to join us in Slyland!

Offline 50plus

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 04:11:13 PM »
When you consider too that I'm 51 and can still only shave my face with an average blade then my scalp is prob going to be similar. I've tried 'good' blades but end up having to go back to home brand ones. I'm lucky as they do give me a good shave with absolutely no irritation. The thing I am finding with the scalp though is that the scalp requires a second and third go to become smooth (ish). So it's still not ideal I suppose.

Ideas are great though and as usual SBG is supporting the 'L' platers like me and I love that. Cheer everyone.

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re:
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 04:42:16 AM »
I sometimes use cartridge razors, I like the Gillette mach 3, but they are expensive... So I bought one of those sharpening/cleaning blocks from amazon...£12...but they extend the cartridge life at least by double....my brother in law got 3 months shaving every other day! Though he isn't sly...I recently bought the mach 3 disposable, these usually last 3 shaves, I got 6...they are definitely a cheaper material, but it definitely makes them last longer and therefore saves money... Always a good thing!

Offline 50plus

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 05:59:36 AM »
No more electric joby for this rubber duck. Scalp is handling the shave well though with a nice, easy pressure for a while yet. A

photo will have to be next since I've been rambling on so much over the past months. Then again where would I be without

SBG? Not far I don't think.

Remember the time when you were a kid and standing at the end of a swimming pool. You thought you going to die. Despite

what the sign said sometimes a push from the right person was a good thing. Seems to me like that philosophy applies to

other things in life too.

Oh Crowbar... I never got to the shave shop - busy busy. See how I go this Week end.    
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 06:06:49 AM by 50plus »

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 07:05:24 AM »
Can't wait to see the photo, 50 plus....Keep the updates coming!