Author Topic: thinking of getting an ear piercing  (Read 55688 times)

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
Re: thinking of getting an ear piercing
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2013, 10:00:58 AM »
You've got me thinking, Mr Zed.

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2013, 10:19:19 AM »
Got my left lobe pierced in 1989 and have a small collection of very nice ear rings.  Some small gold hoops, some small diamonds -- nothing flashy.  Professional Business to lawn care labor guys have ear piercings and tats .... and shaved heads or MPB sly ... so mainstay today.  Well ... I have not gotten to the tats yet.  Maybe I should have my head tatted to look like I have stubble ... LOL >:D

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #62 on: September 02, 2013, 06:50:22 AM »
You've got me thinking, Mr Zed.

Yes, a nice simple stud or CBR on the left ear goes well with a shaved dome.

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
Re: Re: thinking of getting an ear piercing
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2013, 07:36:59 AM »
It does go well i gotta stud , now doing voluntary work in a stately home so wont wear earings like hoops but a stud and smart attire is fine welcoming overseas visitors

Offline TxTa2Guy

• Sly Jr.
  • Bald By Choice since August 24, 2009
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2013, 12:32:48 PM »
. . . I actually got a double ear piercing (hoops in the left ear) on 8/1. . .  I was debating getting both ears done, but thought I should test the waters with just one ear...but decided to get a double, just to stand out a bit

I think you should go ahead now and get the other ear done, Ozz. If you get in the water deeply enough to get one ear wet, it's really hard to keep the other one dry. O0

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2013, 04:21:58 PM »
Two months in now. Really enjoying the earring. Have a few studs and a few small hoops that hug the ear lobe.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 04:08:46 AM by mrzed »

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2013, 07:08:15 PM »
OK. I've been laughing all day.

20 years ago a fellow that I've worked with came to the office wearing a magnetic earring, just to razz the trainer.  It worked. The trainer was red in the face. How to I address this guy with the earring.  How inappropriate to wear that to work.

The joke was on him, as the magnetic earring came off at just the right time.

Today I sent my friend a photo of me with the my earring, remembering back to this story and my friend replied, "LOL. I got my ear pierced a year ago. I wear a gold nugget stud earring which I purchased in Alaska almost 20 years ago, and never got the piercing until a year ago. Now I wear it all the time.  Really helps when I'm on college campuses. The students related better to this older guys with an ear piercing!"

I've been chuckling all day to think that my former co-worker and I both have ear piercings now! Made my day.

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2014, 01:16:38 AM »
Hey Nuts, I am going to turn 60 in June and I just got my first ear piercing two weeks ago!  Very few people even mentioned it, (which usually means they don't like it).  My 83 year old Mother didn't like it at all!!!.  My gearhead buddy who is only 50 thinks I am having a second mid-life crisis and is genuinely concerned about it.  My significant other (female) hasn't seen it yet but if her reaction is anything like it was to the first time she saw my new tattoo - SHE WILL HATE IT!

I LIKE IT SO I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYONE ELSE THINKS.

I figure that at my age, if I don't do it now, then when?

There are very few things I have done in my life that i regret - but there are a lot of things that I failed to do when I had the chance, and these I do regret!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2014, 05:23:15 PM »
Hairy1,

What did you get? Left earring stud?  It's been a few weeks. How are you enjoying it? Any further reception comments from the community?

Offline Crowbar

• Sly
« Reply #69 on: April 25, 2014, 06:42:16 AM »

Just got upper ear done :)
and the end of our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time

Offline Steeltoe

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #70 on: April 25, 2014, 01:47:18 PM »
I do not mean this to sound condescending. It isn't. I am honestly surprised, and sad, that in 2014, any guy feels so reluctant and worried about getting an earring. It's no secret that the U.S. differs radically from place to place, in values and beliefs and customs. It's just hard to believe, reading this thread, that it's to this extreme degree.

I second the sentiment that life is short. Any one of us, regardless of our age, could keel over tomorrow. I also agree that I've regretted little I've done, but definitely things I haven't done, opportunities that have passed that I did not take.

It's your body. Your wives and boyfriends and bosses don't own it. If your wife gets bent about something as small as an earring, well, there's probably a deeper dysfunction related to control or insecurity. Or she's looking for small things to complain about because the big ones are too scary to crack open.

You guys might look at my picture and say WELL, you're obviously in a different world, that you can wear those tattoos. But I am not fundamentally different from any of you. An earring in your locale and workplace and family is probably about as daring as a big nose ring in mine, or maybe a hand tattoo. I have never seen anyone in San Francisco with face tattoos as large and prominent as mine. I have stepped way outside the norm, even for San Francisco. I have received only compliments and enjoyed only success in my job. But I wear them with pride and aplomb. Projecting confidence makes all the difference. Even if it's about something as small as an earring.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #71 on: April 25, 2014, 02:25:43 PM »
Crowbar, the upper jewelery looks like a cuff rather than a piercing. Perhaps it is both?

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #72 on: April 25, 2014, 03:58:33 PM »
Steeltoe, believe it or not I know a guy, bald,also in San Francisco, with far more tattoos on head than you've got. He's also got the same nose ring and several piercings in both ears. Personally it's not my style but he pulls it off quite well. Last time I saw him he was working as an editor, newspaper I think. As far as I know, nobody ever gave him any grief for any it.
Hair is over rated.

Offline Crowbar

• Sly
« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2014, 10:12:39 PM »
Crowbar, the upper jewelery looks like a cuff rather than a piercing. Perhaps it is both?

You are way too sharp! :) hah
Yes it's a cuff, my local jeweller said they can put a post on it once I decide that I want it....  lets say more permanent
and the end of our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2014, 10:32:41 PM »
My ear piercing (ring) doesn't have a "Captive Bead" or any other apparent way to open it.  My piercer did such a good job that I cannot even find the seam in it.  I never have to worry about taking it out (because I can't), I never have to worry about whether it is turned the right way, and I never have to worry about losing it.

If I were you, I would have my piercer make a REAL cuff by placing three small "bead-less" rings right next to each other on the top of your ear to look just like the fake "cuff" you are wearing in this photo.  Since there is mostly cartilage up there this will work really well - no chance of "drift"

Real is always better than fake.  (E.g. a razor shaved head vice a short buzzcut, or a real mohawk vice a "faux hawk")