Author Topic: BABYSITTING @ WORK  (Read 7060 times)

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
Re: BABYSITTING @ WORK
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 05:11:42 PM »
Wow...to try and quote all the relevant posts would have taken a page in itself.  Talk about entitlement...try tenured teachers.  There are quite a few who can't and won't change with the times, feel the way they taught 30 years ago is still valid... refuse to learn computerized tools for teaching and admin work...and it has been my misfortune to work with teachers who refuse kids on their caseload (for special ed) are rude to parents, won't collaborte on teaching materials, time, etc.   Too many teachers and administrators today focused on themselves and not the welfare of the students.   Not that the kids aren't a pain either....Bill hit it on the head with the entitlement isse....kids today feel they are entitled to swear in the halls, refuse to follow instructions, or be generally respectful to the adults.   Whew...that rant is over.

Can you say 'Teachers Union?'  They are the most powerful union in the country and are a major reason why public schools are in the toilet these days.  The 3 R's aren't what they used to be.  I heard recently that the NYC school system has a location where teachers/administrators who cannot be trusted  to be around students go each day.  They just sit around and collect a paycheck, doing nothing.  Why?  It is next to impossible to fire members of the teachers union.  Over the last 3 to 4 years, they've only been able to fire less than a handful.  They have over ten thousand teachers, so what does that say?
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline YOSP

• Super Sly
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2007, 05:14:20 PM »
Wow...I didn't mean to start a fire here. I love it though. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the fact that WE have to deal with this carte blanche' type attitude, but to hear the positive to come out means that there are people that do care. Unfortunately though, I feel we are the minority these days.

Its probably never going to get better because those that feel they are "entitled" are not teaching their kids the value of respect, hard-work, accountability, and appreciation.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2007, 05:17:48 PM »
Wow...I didn't mean to start a fire here. I love it though. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the fact that WE have to deal with this carte blanche' type attitude, but to hear the positive to come out means that there are people that do care. Unfortunately though, I feel we are the minority these days.

Its probably never going to get better because those that feel they are "entitled" are not teaching their kids the value of respect, hard-work, accountability, and appreciation.

Talk about hitting the nail on the head....very well said.  Actually plan on sharing some of these thoughts with my fellow teachers.  When the parents you deal with feel it is YOUR job to teach these things to THEIR kids it can get good teachers down.  They need to see there are people out there who have their heads on straight.  Thanks
« Last Edit: July 05, 2007, 05:20:51 PM by Paul »
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 09:19:38 PM »

Talk about hitting the nail on the head....very well said.  Actually plan on sharing some of these thoughts with my fellow teachers.  When the parents you deal with feel it is YOUR job to teach these things to THEIR kids it can get good teachers down.  They need to see there are people out there who have their heads on straight.  Thanks
And Paul, let me add that the parents who feel it is your job to teach their children ALL the academics and provide all the discipline are the ones who scream the loudest when Junior gets in trouble or fails a subject.  They want no accountability for raising their children - but want to place all the blame and responsibility on the schools.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Enter your email address: