Author Topic: Merkur 34C for head shaving?  (Read 8422 times)

Offline dinosaur1

• Sly Jr.
Merkur 34C for head shaving?
« on: July 20, 2013, 08:51:31 AM »
I have always used the Gillette Fusion to shave my head and it works great.  I keep reading about the Merkur 34C.  For those who have tried it would it be too painful to use it for head shaving and what safety razors are more forgiving than others.  Does it take longer to use this safety razor vs the Fusoon?

I have read that Feather razors are way too aggressive.

Offline jedge01

• Sly Jr.
  • Jim
Re: Merkur 34C for head shaving?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 10:49:08 PM »
I'm using it right now for shaving my head and I'm not completely happy with it. While it hasn't been difficult to get the technique down, I find that I'm having to go over places several times to get a smooth shave. I readily admit I have a funny shaped head, though. It takes me about 20 min to shave my head with it. using my old 3 blade razor, it too, about 5 for a prfectly smooth shave. I'm currently using shark blades with either TOBS cream, or Col Conks glycerin soaps.

Offline Crowbar

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 07:37:02 AM »
Tripsy as I had just ordered one of those to try and then up comes this thread.

I ordered it to use for the face but I used an "EJ de89 Barley" arond my ears last night before doing the rest with my ATX, which I love and the EJ did get a good result. So I will most likely try head shaving with my new 34c when it arrives
and the end of our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time

Offline zulu

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 10:14:03 PM »
Recently got my wife into DE shaving and had purchased the 34C for her. Tried it out on my head one day and wasn't feeling it at all... it was too mild. So, I bought a EJ DE89bl which is more aggressive and used that for the first time last night; worked like a charm. YMMV, but I had to do too many passes with the 34C.

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 07:44:30 PM »
Never tried that model, but I often use DEs on my head with great success.  It takes a bit of getting used to, but after a few shaves you should have no trouble with it at all in my opinion!

Offline Gambrinus

• Bluegrass Bald Guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • HBG
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 03:48:47 PM »
I use a safety razor.  I have a Slim, Goodwill, Old short comb, and a Tech.  I mostly use the Tech.  It is the least aggressive of the ones I have.  I noticed the other day that my Slim is bent on the shave bar.  Probably why I never got a real good shave out of it.  I think your blade selection is the most key part of getting a good shave.