Author Topic: Smoke Hollow Gas and Charcoal BBQ  (Read 11605 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Smoke Hollow Gas and Charcoal BBQ
« on: July 16, 2013, 12:42:39 AM »
Two weekends ago I decided that it was time to replace the BBQ that I had owned for 6 years with a new one.  I happened to run across the Smoke Hallow Gas and Charcoal BBQ at one of my local hardware stores and since it was on sale I pulled the trigger and purchased it.

So far I'm pretty happy with my purchase. I've used both the gas grill and the charcoal grill and was happy with both sides.  I'm gearing up to test out the smoker.  Any tips from some of our expert smokers on the type of wood, or charcoal that I should use?  Any recipes?

Here's a picture of the BBQ:

« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 02:21:00 AM by Tyler »

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
Re: Smoke Hollow Gas and Charcoal BBQ
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 04:17:37 AM »
I'm still a charcoal guy with a weber kettle grill.  Never did smoking.  Looks like a pretty fine grill, especially if you use it a lot.

We sprung for a Vita Mix last year.  They are expensive, but we use it every day, so it was worth it. Same for a grill. If you use it a lot, it's a great purchase.

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 05:11:54 AM »
I smoke on a small scale.  Salmon, mostly.

Weber Kettle Grill; real hardwood chunk charcoal.  For smoke--I just use bits of oak twigs I pick up off the lawn.

Here's part of a recent batch.  Most recent batch, last of, will be ending up in my morning eggs.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 11:24:59 AM »
SWEET!!  When's the cookout ?
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline wutwutman

• Super Sly
  • "Isaac Hayes style boy!" lol
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 01:32:03 PM »
Now THAT is a mans grill LOL  O0
** Wutwutman **
"To shave or not to shave... is that really a question?"

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 02:49:25 PM »
Mmmmmm....I'm in my way over! ;D ;D
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 05:37:28 PM »
I love hickory for smoking. It's great for pork or poultry. Mesquite is nice for red meats. I always recommend hardwood charcoal BUT..... if you are smoking something large that will take many hours...... briquettes will last longer. This means less opening of the grill, which means less loss of heat and smoke.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 05:39:09 PM by Mikekoz13 »
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 08:27:51 PM »
Great looking grill, Tyler.  I have been using a Weber gas grill for years, but have not used the smoking attachment that's available for it.  I have used cedar planks for salmon and other fish.  That's worked out well.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 02:24:22 AM »
I prefer charcoal or wood grilling, but sometimes you just need to have the quickness of gas.  We do A LOT of grilling and gas can help when you don't have a lot of time for the charcoal or wood to get hot.  I also grill a lot of prepared meats from our local carniceria (Mexican butcher) so adding the flavor of charcoal or wood isn't necessary and it only takes two min each side to grill. 

I'm going to try smoking some pork butt for pulled pork next week.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 09:35:26 AM »
I prefer charcoal or wood grilling, but sometimes you just need to have the quickness of gas.  We do A LOT of grilling and gas can help when you don't have a lot of time for the charcoal or wood to get hot.  I also grill a lot of prepared meats from our local carniceria (Mexican butcher) so adding the flavor of charcoal or wood isn't necessary and it only takes two min each side to grill.  

I'm going to try smoking some pork butt for pulled pork next week.

If you send me your snail mail address I'll send you some of the best home made Eastern Carolina sauce that you will ever taste. Schro and TheSlyBear can attest to the deliciousness of my sauce.

I'll be making a batch this weekend so let me know. Bear and Schro..... bottles will be on the way for you guys.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 09:37:57 AM by Mikekoz13 »

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 11:03:00 AM »
Sweeeeet grill, I also use a Weber gas grill. I chip up some applewood, soak it, wrap it in aluminum foil, and poke some holes in the foil.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline Raybz

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 08:44:01 AM »
TONS of smoking advise at   http://www.amazingribs.com/   that's one of my go-to sites 

Offline Triaddad

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 01:37:07 PM »
Weber Kettle, Big Green Egg, custom-made BQ Grill here!  Mikekoz, we need to compare notes on the Eastern NC sauce. My recipe took the state title back in the 80's.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 05:12:55 PM »
Weber Kettle, Big Green Egg, custom-made BQ Grill here!  Mikekoz, we need to compare notes on the Eastern NC sauce. My recipe took the state title back in the 80's.

Do you still make your sauce? We could swap a jar...