Author Topic: Personal experiences with Electric Razors, Clippers and Trimmers  (Read 9413 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Do you shave your head with an electric razor, clippers, or a trimmer?  If so, let us know and also let us know what you use and why.

I still have my Philips Norelco Cool Skin electric razor that I use for those times that I'm in a rush or if I've cut myself really bad.  I originally bought it because I could use it both in and out of the shower. 

What about you?

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
Re: Personal experiences with Electric Razors, Clippers and Trimmers
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 09:32:36 PM »
I have a Phillips Norelco Sensotouch 3D. I've tried it on my head before but the results weren't great.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 10:13:22 PM »
I won a Wahl Lithium Ion + at a silent auction.  The thing has more attachments, combs/guards and accessories than I will ever be able to use or figure out.

It does a great job trimming the beard, eyebrows, nose and ears, but even though the instruction booklet says it can cut/shave the head's hair, the smoothest it gets is the fine sandpaper texture.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 04:42:15 AM »
When I had surgery requiring stitches back in Winter and Spring 2011-12, I used an Andis T-Outliner that I bought at a small business beauty outlet for $40+tax. They cut well and give a BBS appearance, but you still can feel stubble after. It is good for situations that I cannot get my hands on or use a traditional wet razor.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 05:54:49 AM »
I own and, occasionally, use A Wahl Balding Clipper. When I reviewed it at Amazon.com, from which I'd purchased it, I commented that as far as a mechanical device can "bald" one this does. However, oiled, blade cleaned with electricity at full tilt, it always left the impression that my head was covered with 400 grit sandpaper. That said, I have white hair and so even if I don't get it shaved for a day or so, it's not noticeable and that's when a quick buzz gives me the look I am used to. IF I had darker hair that wouldn't be the case. All these clippers do is peel your head-or any hairy surface-as closely as is possible. Over time if you're going to a barber for a buzz cut these will save you money-not that I'm trying to deprive your barber of any income. Would I buy them again? Yes. At various moments they've been a convenience and never without purpose.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 08:54:52 AM »
Due to some personal problems that I won't get into I have to use clippers. I use the Wahl Balding Clippers. They do a great job but nothing ever feels as good as a blade shave.

Offline EN4CER

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 04:28:03 PM »
I use a Philips QC5550 cordless, which does a very good job, but I'd like to get closer. Can anyone recommend a cordless that will cut mega close?

Thanks

Wizzz
Growing Old Disgracefully - But Bald!

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 08:21:36 PM »
I've used the Andis T-outliner and the Wahl's Balding Clipper. They are nice to use if you don't want the shiny, smooth bald look that you obviously achieve with a razor. I think the Wahl's Balding Clipper is easier and faster to use to peel all the hair off. I think it's as close to 'shaved' as you can get with clippers. It does leave a sandpaper feel for a day. Some caution, you can easily nick your head with the clippers. the blades are sharp and can dig into your skin especially if you have longer hair (longer meaning a short buzzcut!). The bare blade is good to use when your hair is still very short. Otherwise, I suggest using the attachments first and work your way down shorter. The first pass should be with the grain. the bare blades cut better with the grain. Then go against the grain.

The T-Outliner, I only use a handful of times. the width of the blade is pretty narrow so it takes long longer to shave. Also, I don't think it cuts as evenly so they require more passes.

The Wahl's provide a great look. Sometimes, I will sport a clipper shave. It's a more tedious look to achieve though.

Offline clipped

• Sly
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 08:36:50 PM »
I use the Andis BGRC with detachable blades, using either #1, #000, #00000 or #000000 (outliner) as the mood strikes me. All the zero blades do a great job of giving me the clipper shaved look, with the #000000 being most like sandpaper (leaves 5 hours growth).

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2013, 01:53:53 AM »
Only recently started to wet shave my head but do use a beard trimmer on my head which cuts to 0.5

So far I am not sure if wet shaving is for me. I like the look but it does take awhile to shave! I am quicker with the beard trimmer. I don't mind the sandpaper feel too.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2013, 06:23:07 AM »
Yesterday, I went to my aunt's house to help her clean out the garage. I then discovered in one of the closets while we were cleaning up, my old shaving kit from 2004! Inside was a box of regular Andis that I bought before my first overseas tour! I bought it then, but I thought I had lost it....Clippers still in the box unopened after nine years! Gave them a try last night and they cut well! The only difference is with a wider blade, they cover more area. Now I have two versions of Andis...Even if I don't use them on my scalp, they're great for shaping facial hair.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 03:33:27 AM by Sir Harry »
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2013, 08:41:10 AM »
I have a Wahl balding clipper that I use on occasion. Overall, I prefer a wet shave as I prefer the smooth feel

Offline reddog

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2013, 08:48:31 AM »
I've been using a Remington 3 blade foil shaver. It does a fantastic job! I just use a little Atra pre-shave, and it is very close to a razor shave, and very little irritation.
Bald by choice, and loving it!

Offline calbito

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 02:48:44 PM »
I have always shaved my face with an electric razor, and, except for about 2 times, have used nothing shorter than a no-guard clipper on my head hair.  Well, a few months ago my electric razor died, so I went to the local K-Mart for a replacement.  Between the cheapest and the most expensive products they had two models which looked identical; three rotary heads, and rechargeable.  One was a Norelco, and the other was a Remington for about $20 less.  I bought the Remington, but found that the plastic guards around the heads stuck to my skin, pulling it into folds, and making face shaving nearly impossible.  So I went back and bought the Norelco, which does not have the plastic, and it worked perfectly on my face.  Wondering what to do with the Remington, I tried it on my head, which has tighter skin, and found it worked very well, giving me a silky-smooth head.  Now just a day ago I was in need of shaving both face and head, and decided to use the Norelco for both.  The Norelco did not do nearly as good a job on my head, as it always left a tiny bit of stubble.  I actually went back and re-shaved with the Remington.  So now I own 2 electric razors.  One works well on my face, but not on my head.  The other works well on my head but not on my face.  :D

Offline wutwutman

• Super Sly
  • "Isaac Hayes style boy!" lol
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, 10:06:13 AM »
I normally shave my face and trim facial hair with a small electric detail razor (Conair) that I bought at Walgreens a number of years ago.  It's small, rechargeable, and maneuverable.  Since I recently started wet shaving my face also, now it gets minimal usage.  Just trimming the 'stache and sideburns LOL
** Wutwutman **
"To shave or not to shave... is that really a question?"