Author Topic: Another Hair Club Story (10 years in)  (Read 6535 times)

Offline Newlyshaved

• Learning the way of Sly
Another Hair Club Story (10 years in)
« on: July 06, 2013, 12:03:33 PM »
I've been lurking on here for a little while and finally decided to join and post.

I won't make this a 3 page post and keep it short and sweet. I started losing my hair in my early 20's (32 now). And I decided to go into HC and do their "consultation". Well 3k later and a false hope of good and bad hair days I went in, they shaved down the top of my head and decided to slap their "system" on my head. I felt great, looked great, and was excited. But then the reality of the limitations set in pretty quick. Sleeping different, riding a motorcycle was different, swimming, and even exercising was different. That glue takes 1 slip up and your hair is a mess and goopy. Anybody who's with HC knows they sell you on their "plans' after they shave you down. Basically trapping you into their setup. Its sad really and even my stylist there agrees and says its a scam how they do it.

So years and years of this I got use to the look and went along with it. HC opened up the option to get a transplant. Of course I was all over this the minute it was open. Dr Frost, who is a scam artist of all scam artists did my surgery. It was a year of waiting and waiting and the hair grew in only as fuzz. No where near what was promised. His nurses did all the work, he walked in maybe once or twice said ohhh looking good and walked out. Then proceeded to push Propecia like he owned stock. So close to a year after I went back to the HC system sadly. (Still wondering if there are legal ramifications against the Dr?)

Well fast forward to a month ago, I'm dating a wonderful girl who knows the whole story (any HC members know its usually a secret until we're forced to tell). But she actually motivated me to call it quits with HC and just accept my hair the way it is. Maybe try a Monoxodil or something. So a little over a month ago I setup my appointment to remove the system for the last time and just take the hair loss as it is. I'm not gonna lie, I was beyond nervous and my gf even came with for moral support. My stylist was nervous to cut it (went buzz cut) but now that I did. Im not gonna lie, its a whole new feeling for life. I can swim, and stand under the shower, run and do whatever. Its great.

Im still adjusting to the look and in pictures it def looks different. (the fuzz looks bald) But aside from that, anybody who is in HC and thinking of ditching it. I advise it.

So thats my story, Im still trying to get my hair to even out (since when they cut it, the tape all around has to go bald.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
Re: Another Hair Club Story (10 years in)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 01:54:00 PM »
Lots of applause and high fives to you, Newlyshaved.

My little brother in my fraternity tried very hard to get me to look into HC.  The more stories like yours that I read, the more I am thankful that my girlfriend at the time thought it was completely silly.

Congratulations on taking control, sir!  

Welcome!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 02:10:09 PM by Cave Dweller »
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 01:55:04 PM »
Congrats on taking a such a huge step and welcome to SBG.

P.S. Your gf is a wise woman.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 03:01:00 PM »
Well done, I can imagine it must be really hard to change, and make that decision! No drugs, no rugs, no plugs, that's the way forward.

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 03:40:38 PM »
Welcome to SBG !

Sad thing about HCM is that they do not pay their technicians (the stylist) great wages who rely more on your tips.  HCM rents expensive suites to create a "professional image" and then snags you into a $ $ $  contract as if you just purchased a house, not hair.  However, HCM has had financial issues (hmmm .... I wonder why).  Read this:

History
Hair Club (formerly Hair Club for Men, also Hair Club for Men and Women) is an American hair restoration and hair replacement company with locations in the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico. The company was founded in 1976 by Sy Sperling. In 2005, Hair Club was purchased by the public Minneapolis company Regis. In 2012, Regis sold Hair Club to the Japanese wigmaker Aderans.

The company caters to a predominantly male clientele, but in recent years has added services for women to address female hair loss and thinning brought on by chemotherapy, menopause, postpartum stress, trichotillomania, hormonal imbalances, and natural aging. The company also provides free hair restoration services to children with medical conditions that cause hair loss.

Hair Club provides its own non-surgical treatment for hair loss, trademarked as Bio-Matrix, in addition to scalp cleansers and conditioners, and FDA approved hair regrowth agents. It also provides surgical hair replacement.

Controversy
There are several negative independent reviews, claiming the methods used unsuitable and overpriced, citing severe itching problems and fetid odor after procedure.  There is also debate as to whether Hair Club actually offers a surgical option. Evidence suggests that such an offer is a marketing gimmick only and that the only true option available to customers are hair pieces (wigs.)

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re:
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 03:42:30 PM »
great story, the relief when I finally went sly was amazing, welcome

Offline Newlyshaved

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 12:02:54 PM »
Thanks guys, I'm still coping with it, because in the mirror, im ok with the look, but in pictures It looks worse. I still find myself wearing a hat, or avoiding pictures. Plus my stylist, she gave me her card and I'm going to her outside of HC. She's known me throughout the years there so I figure its only fair I keep going to her. Plus we're still figuring out styles and looks that work. Im 6'2 fairly athletic and weight 185-190. So I have to be careful not to get the skinhead look.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 02:21:50 PM »
Skinhead look?

That stereotype went away a long time ago, sir.  Buzzed and shaved are very mainstream styles now.

I am just shy 6'2", and no one ever has mistaken me for a member of such a group.

However you decide to go, please put THAT anxiety to rest.

And again sir, I truly congratulate you on taking control of your situation as you have done.

Offline Newlyshaved

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2014, 01:04:28 PM »
So its been a while since I posted, but I figure I'd keep you guys updated. Since in all honesty, this forum gave me a lot of support in my decision. And with that, you guys may be happy to hear, the woman I'm with who helped me through this and supports me even up to today when I have the convo about "I miss my old look". In the next coming months, shes gonna get a question herself from me. I just pray she says yes.

Over the last 4-5 months I've been on minoxidil, and its frustrating, and in all honesty I cant even tell if anything is happening from it, or whats up there is me. But I keep using it, because lets be honest. Its still MUCH better than the system. I've been beyond glad I parted ways with them. It's made life a lot easier, and finally got my hair to grow for what its gonna grow to the point where I'm not ashamed to post pics now. The comments have all stopped and life is going full force like it should. No more wondering if people are staring at me or my hair. Although when I see that guy with the full/perfect head of hair, i do wanna smack him sometimes lol.

So here you go, these are some pics finally so you guys can see the transformation. Its also interesting trying to figure out what looks work for you.

When I had my HC Piece.

About a week after getting shaved (evening out that tan line on my forehead was a bitch)

And one just about 10 mins ago.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2014, 02:57:54 PM »

I am glad you have support from the woman in your life.

That can make all the difference.

Offline Newlyshaved

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 12:51:59 AM »
Honestly it does, if it wasn't for her I guarantee I would still be on the system.

Offline Bald Guy

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 06:35:17 PM »
Truthfully the first pic looks like your wearing a system without you having to tell anyone.  The second pic looks great and a complete buzz cut to get everything the same would look even better.  Congrats on your escape.

Offline Newlyshaved

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2014, 11:38:58 AM »
Thanks guys,

Yea the systems are so much more obvious to spot once you've been through it. But you'd be amazed how many people we had fooled, even people I have living with me.

The buzz, yea that was a rough few months but afterwards when it grew out, it got easier.

Moral of the story is anybody who's thinking of getting out, do it!

Enter your email address: