Author Topic: One Week In  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Zach F

• Learning the way of Sly
One Week In
« on: July 06, 2013, 05:35:16 AM »
Hey Everyone,

I'm 25 and I've had my head shaved for about a week now. I like it but I still do a double take when looking in the mirror sometimes! I shaved when I was in high school on a whim but for my face it didn't look great without facial hair. I like it a lot better now because I am able to maintain a goatee.

I've seen mixed reactions to shaving it off but I know people need an adjustment period just like I do. The biggest problem I'm having is irritation right under the bump in the back of my head and the lower outsides of my neck in the front. Do you guys have any tips for reducing the irritation so that the next shave doesn't make it worse?

Last thing, When it comes to using products I prefer to use things that are all natural/organic. I'm not really a fan of all the chemicals in a lot of things... Do you know anything along those lines?

Thanks guys!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: One Week In
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 06:53:31 AM »
Welcome, Zach! I used to get irritation in those same areas, but I started rubbing my head with an ice cube and using witch hazel. Both are chemical free and don't sting. Good luck, and post a pic when/if you can!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 07:30:38 AM »
Glad you are here, Zach!

You might also try a little bottle of something called Shave Secret. A lot of us on this board use it. It is a combination of oils you apply before shaving.  It really reduced the friction and got a much smoother result for me. And it is cheap. I found it at my local grocery store, but I have seen it at Walmart as well.

I used an after shave balm for the first month I shaved because my scalp was very sensitive to my blade when I started.  I had to lighten up on the pressure I applied to the blade. The skin toughened up in a few weeks.

Congratulations of going Sly.
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Zach F

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 10:49:17 AM »
Here's a pic. Thanks for the help guys. The ice cube trick worked great this morning!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 10:58:01 AM »
Looks great! Glad we could be of help; stick around and check out the other threads on shaving tips.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 01:34:58 PM »
Looking good, Zach
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline lightbulp

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 01:55:52 PM »
Awesome look  8)

Welcome to SBG
Please forgive me for the mistakes in my posts.
English is not my native language.

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 03:29:18 PM »
Welcome to SBG !  Wow ... that is one awesome smile attached to that bald head !  Ice cubes and Bactine works for me.  You will find great advice and support here. Glad you are with us !

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 03:56:46 PM »
Hey Zach, try either Pacific Shave Cream or Pacific Shave Oil for an all natural shave that will help with irritation.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 05:12:59 PM »
Looks good, Zach.

I'd say for irritation, just to light in those areas. Don't strive for super smooth (i.e. much irritation) in those areas. Just a light shave. In time, the scalp will firm up and be less prone to irritation.

Shave secret. Yes.

Good shave cream, like Head Slick. Yes. Reapply as necessary. (use a shave brush to help keep up the later and reapply.)

Enjoy the shave each day.

Yes, sometimes I still pinch myself about the bald guy in the window or mirror.  Could that really be me?

It's a bold look. I like it on me. It looks sharp on you, too.

Keep it up.

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re:
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 12:43:21 PM »
well its all been covered....you are on your way....training wheels are off! as bayou said...witch hazel. ..keep it in the fridge...use it like aftershave. ...cools and conditions the skin....also aloe vera gel....I use some av after sun...its great