Author Topic: New Guy here!  (Read 2219 times)

Offline schwank

• Sly Guy in Training
New Guy here!
« on: July 04, 2013, 07:37:28 AM »
Hello all,
I started shaving my head about 4 years ago. The thinning was winning, so I started with some clippers on 3, then no guard, then I bought a nice electric razor, then I switched to a shick Hydro 5 for about 3 years. About 4-5 months ago I bought my first DE razor. Its a Lord L6. I told my self Id shave my face a few times with it, and then try the rest of the head. well... the face went so well that I went for my entire head after the first shave and havent turned back! This week I took the plunge and bought some Vintage DE's. It was an estate auction, I bought a vintage razor lot. It came with some straight razors (rough shape) and accessories.

Sorry for the fuzzy phone picts

A 1961 FB

a late 40s Aristocrat (I believe, late 40's...)

a ball tech, black handle super speed from 76

and a vintage shaving mug!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: New Guy here!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 09:52:52 AM »
Hi Schwank:  Welcome to the sly fraternity.  Glad that ya joined us.  As a big fan of safety razors. . . it is refreshing to see another head shaver who appreciates the traditional way of shaving.

Wow... you got some great razors.  I got the same vintage razors you got in your pics but different years.  You cannot go wrong with vintage razors.  I love that shaving mug. 

Kindly post your SAFETY RAZOR SOTD (shave of the day) when you have a chance.  I look forward to your participation in SBGs and also in the SAFETY RAZOR SECTION of the forum.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 12:22:22 PM »
Welcome to the forum! Very nice collection; thanks for sharing!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline schwank

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 04:38:50 AM »
thanks guys!

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 05:38:20 PM »
Nice looking razors, I'm jealous, I've never used any of those models!

Welcome to SBG and the safety razor forum!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 05:20:09 AM »
Welcome to the Forum! I love that mug!!!!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Beachtuna

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 05:27:43 AM »
Out of newbie curiosity what is attraction to a DE over todays 3 and 4 bladed disposables? Curiosity is killing me to try one. But do the pros outweigh the cons?

Offline schwank

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 08:25:11 AM »
Good question! I originally decided to give it a shot for two reasons...

1. Cost! the lord L6 is about 13 bucks on amazon, you can get 100 packs of blades for 8 bucks (derby and astra brands) a blade lasts 3-5 shaves (some say more, but since I'm shaving my entire head, once the blade starts "pulling" I toss it). and a nice brush if you want to use one is about 10 bucks.  When you compare this to an 8 count of my old schick hydro 5 blades at 19.99, It should be cheaper in the long run.

2. I wasnt the best at taking care of my skin, the shaving brush exfoliates the skin, and the nicer creams/soaps moisturize etc. and some after shaves have some spf in the for sun protection.

So far Ive spent a bit of money collecting razors and trying products to get the best shave. It's become a journey instead of a necessity. I look forward to the task of shaving. The (vintage Gillette) razors I bought should last the rest of my life with a little care, and the blades are cheap. It does take a bit longer to shave, but the results are great!

There is a learning curve, but thats part of what makes it fun. I havent nicked myself with a DE as badly as I have with a cartridge razor, or that blasted headblade :). Ive also only gotten "razor burn" on my neck once since swtiching to a DE, and I used to get that all the time. Its probably because Ive slowed down and pay attention to the way the hair is growing more now.

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 05:35:01 AM »
Very nicely put Schwank!

DEs are definitely worth the slight learning curve.  Within a couple of weeks with a razor, brush, blades, and a good quality cream or soap, you'll find that the chore of shaving actually becomes something you enjoy!