Author Topic: The reason guys don't just shave their head - or do anything.  (Read 6304 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Fear is a huge motivating factor in why men don't just shave their heads when they really want to.  This isn't just shaving, but really applies to anything that is outside of their comfort zone.

I heard this quote today from Mark Twain and it really summed this up for me.  Here's the quote"

"I have been through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened." - Mark Twain

Usually we think the worst is going to happen and then when we finally get over the fear of doing what we want, we're completely delighted with the outcome because those fears usually don't materialize.

So, if you're on the fence, throw out your fears and get to shaving.

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: The reason guys don't just shave their head - or do anything.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 04:47:29 AM »
AMEN!!!

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 06:41:07 AM »
damn T. good one. we all go through that with something or other. some of us may be scared to shave for the first time, while others don't really think it is a big deal. but tose who are laid back about hair probably have some ather fears that many others think is silly. that is why this place is so great, we can all help each other with those fears. whatever they may be.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 07:40:14 AM »
damn T. good one. we all go through that with something or other. some of us may be scared to shave for the first time, while others don't really think it is a big deal. but tose who are laid back about hair probably have some ather fears that many others think is silly. that is why this place is so great, we can all help each other with those fears. whatever they may be.

It's not silly; it's totally understandable why people are afraid to take the plunge initially.  I know I was.  You just can't help it if you feel that way. 

Ultimately, though, if it's something you really want to do, eventually you probably will, even if it takes a long time to work up the nerve to do it.  Having MPB actually makes it a lot easier.  You either get to the point where you're so unhappy with your appearance, that shaving couldn't possibly make it worse -- or you have so little hair left that it doesn't seem like a big deal anymore.

The reward of actually going through with it are immediate and enormous.  My initial feeling was one of huge satisfaction at actually having confronted the fear and doing something I'd been wanting to do.  I think even if you don't like the way it looks, there's that feeling of satisfaction.  It's hard to convey that to people who haven't yet taken the plunge.  It's something you really have to experience yourself to fully understand, and requires a leap of faith on the part of the would-be sly guy.

Offline PBurke

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 07:45:24 AM »
i did not say people's fears where silly. just that what i am adraid of may be silly to you. and vice-versa. if you have a fear, it is anything but silly to you.

Treat people with respect, or just ignore them!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 07:52:01 AM »
i did not say people's fears where silly. just that what i am adraid of may be silly to you. and vice-versa. if you have a fear, it is anything but silly to you.

I knew what you meant and was not disagreeing with you.  Sorry if it didn't come across the right way.  That's one of the problems with written communications -- it's hard to convey the right tone sometimes.   ;)

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 09:18:23 AM »
That's a good one Tyler, I try to live by the old saying that "Life is only 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it"
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader

JohnMont

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2007, 01:25:35 PM »
Thanks for this post, Tyler; and  for the insightful reaction, RazorX .

John (soon to be sly)

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2007, 05:47:59 PM »
Great post and great quote Ty.   You just have to read various posts here to see that just about every guy had a fear about going sly and that fear was usually about personal appearance,  attitudes or comments from others, attractiveness to the opposite sex, etc.   Once the deed was done we have all wondered what the big deal was.  I think  the quote from Winston Churchhill that  "We have nothing to fear but fear itself" covers this issue as well
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2007, 06:11:02 PM »
Great post and great quote Ty.   You just have to read various posts here to see that just about every guy had a fear about going sly and that fear was usually about personal appearance,  attitudes or comments from others, attractiveness to the opposite sex, etc.   Once the deed was done we have all wondered what the big deal was.  I think  the quote from Winston Churchhill that  "We have nothing to fear but fear itself" covers this issue as well

What is really amazing is not that we all have the same fears and reservations about going sly, it's the reactions -- or lack thereof -- that we get afterwards.  Virtually everybody says they get enthusiastic compliments or not much reaction at all.  Hardly anyone gets negative comments.  Funny how consistent that is from person to person.  I would not have believed it before I experienced it myself.  I was convinced that there were plenty of people in my life that would give me a hard time about it, but they really didn't.

BALDANDRE

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 10:21:47 AM »
Great thought Tyler... great quote Mr. Twain! O0

jusbnme

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 12:53:47 PM »
Good post Tyler.

Offline Sooner Steve

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 01:49:05 PM »

It's not silly; it's totally understandable why people are afraid to take the plunge initially.  I know I was.  You just can't help it if you feel that way. 

Ultimately, though, if it's something you really want to do, eventually you probably will, even if it takes a long time to work up the nerve to do it.  Having MPB actually makes it a lot easier.  You either get to the point where you're so unhappy with your appearance, that shaving couldn't possibly make it worse -- or you have so little hair left that it doesn't seem like a big deal anymore.

The reward of actually going through with it are immediate and enormous.  My initial feeling was one of huge satisfaction at actually having confronted the fear and doing something I'd been wanting to do.  I think even if you don't like the way it looks, there's that feeling of satisfaction.  It's hard to convey that to people who haven't yet taken the plunge.  It's something you really have to experience yourself to fully understand, and requires a leap of faith on the part of the would-be sly guy.

[/quote]

P. Burke.  You are exactly right when you say "Having MPB actually makes it a lot easier."  I had worn a hairpiece for 23 years.  For at a minimum the last 2 years I have been dying to get out from under it.  I almost envied guys who had the stones enough to embrace the sly look.  I wanted it so badly but was AFRAID TO CHANGE.

I was afraid of the negative comments -  I have received none.
I was afraid for anyone to realize I wore a hairpiece - I soon learned that more people knew I wore one than I ever dreamed.
I feared the change - Now I embrace the change.  My fear was the worst part - not the change.

I am still getting compliments even today about how good I look.  ( And I'm not a very good looking guy).  Trust me, I wasn't getting those good remarks previously.

I think it is like many on here have said.  The sly look sends an impression of confidence and security and most people like that.  I know that's the way I feel now and never want to go back to the other way.

"It's what you learn after you know it all that really counts." - Coach John Wooden

[img]http://tickers.Tick

Offline Alexander215

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 03:09:52 PM »
I live by, "without hope there is no fear" I'm going bald anyway, might as well finish the fight nature started!

Offline Bolohead

• Bolohead
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • At 56 and still feeling GREAT!
    • Jon Erdmann - Photographer
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2007, 07:46:13 AM »
An old cowboy once said, "You can't get your boots dirty by sitting on the fence"

Now for me, the only thing that matters in my life is that little dash between my birth date and my death date.... make it happen man, because you only go thru this life but once.  Be bold and unafraid and be remembered for that shinny sly guy look  !B@

SHAKA