Author Topic: Starting new shaving routine...  (Read 3457 times)

Offline Adamski1972

• Super Sly
  • Bald and bold!
Starting new shaving routine...
« on: June 22, 2013, 11:46:26 AM »
After shaving my head with Nivea Shaving Gel for sensitive skin for the last few months I'm going to try something new. I have had an occasional problem with razor bumps and it seems if following some of the comments on the forum a closer shave not using gel could rectify this. I have decided to go down the route of brush and shaving soap. I've got a Italian bristle brush and shave cream from a company called Men-U, some proper shaving soap and bowl, an Allum Styptic Pencil (for any nicks) and Hydro After Shave Balm. Going to see how I get on and hopefully move on to DE razor at a later point if all goes well.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 04:49:07 PM by Tyler »

Offline jdcsky

• Sly Jr.
Re: Starting new shaving routine...
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 01:58:02 PM »
I hope the new routine works for you and decreases your your razor bumps.

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re:
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 02:34:05 PM »
guaranteed to improve your shave, since swapping to real shaving cream with a brush its been great, witch hazel is also good, use it as an aftershave

Offline bud

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 04:25:46 PM »
I hope it gets better with your new shaving routine O0

Offline Adamski1972

• Super Sly
  • Bald and bold!
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 04:26:31 PM »
I hope the new routine works for you and decreases your your razor bumps.

Thanks Jdcsky! Hope it's going to be better!

guaranteed to improve your shave, since swapping to real shaving cream with a brush its been great, witch hazel is also good, use it as an aftershave

Thanks Geeman, I've heard about Witchhazel from a few people online. Will try it all out in the morning!

I hope it gets better with your new shaving routine O0

Thanks Bud, fingers crossed!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 04:28:28 PM by Adamski1972 »

Offline Falcon43

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 11:00:02 AM »
I've been shaving the bean for years. I always have an eye out for a "better" way to do it. My current routine is a double edge razor, a puck of soap ( TOBS, MWF, Tabac ) and a brush. When done,  I hit everything with an alum block, followed by witch hazel. I've found that aftershave actually breaks me out. YMMV.
Semper Fi! 
Tom

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 11:27:53 AM »
I tend to break out in certain spots (mostly behind the ears and in back of my head). I've mostly given in and decided to just deal with it since it doesn't hurt it just looks irritated.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline Adamski1972

• Super Sly
  • Bald and bold!
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 09:19:43 AM »
Wow! Using the brush and shave cream has made my head feel and look great. It must be the exfoliating the brush does when applying the cream. Also using cream/soap instead of gel or foam feels like a closer shave. Now I see what you guys mean when you say it's a totally different experience! No cuts, bumps or rashes either so all good! I'm definitely a convert to brush and soap/cream. Now to look for a decent DE razor. Will probably have to look online.

Offline TheWickerMan

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 10:10:57 PM »
Using quality soaps and creams along with a proper prep makes a HUGE difference!

Glad to see you've left the nasty goops on store shelves where they belong!

As for a DE, I would recommend an Edwin Jagger 89 (any of the models are great). Also, Merkur makes some fantastic DE razors!

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 01:02:27 AM by TheWickerMan »
Onward and upward.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 04:34:28 AM »
Adam, nice new profile picture.  Looks sharp. Well groomed. Sly suits you well.

Offline Bespoke

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 05:30:30 AM »
One other way that you can reduce irritation is to use a pre-shave oil. (I make my own: equal parts castor, olive, and grapeseed oil. You can get fancy and add essential oils, if you like.) I'm a fan of traditional wet shaving. My DE razor of choice is a Gillette black handled SuperSpeed. There are some great groups on Facebook like the Big Shave, and internet forums like Badger & Blade. All with group members with lots more experience than I who can advise you on a first DE purchase... I assure you, it won't be your last!  O0

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 11:35:00 AM »
Wow! Using the brush and shave cream has made my head feel and look great. It must be the exfoliating the brush does when applying the cream. Also using cream/soap instead of gel or foam feels like a closer shave. Now I see what you guys mean when you say it's a totally different experience! No cuts, bumps or rashes either so all good! I'm definitely a convert to brush and soap/cream. Now to look for a decent DE razor. Will probably have to look online.
Look on eBay, I've scored a few DE handles there for almost half the retail price. I like to get the handles on eBay and the blades on Amazon.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline Thebaldnation

• wanting to bring our Bald community closer together
  • Sly
    • ThebaldNation
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 12:23:24 PM »
I have used the Headblade shaving cream for several years now and have noticed a great deal less iritation than using some other brands, i also use the schick hydro and love it, i shave 3-4 times a week and use st.ives scrub after every shave, for lotion i have been using mary kay (yes mary kay) lotion with SPF in it, you dont need alot of it, it leaves a greasy residue, so after i rub it into my scalp i wait for a minute and then run a dry towel over my head and that gets rid of the greasy residue, then my scalp is good to go, and remeber, here at the bald nations best being bald is always a step above perfect!!!
<!-- Facebook Badge START --><a href="http://www.facebook.com/people/Baldguy-Thebaldnationsbest/1827707468" title="Baldguy Thebaldnationsbest" target="_TOP" style="font-family: &quot;lucida grande&quot;,tahoma,verdana,arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; font-variant: normal; font-style: normal; font-
[url=http

Offline Goatee

• Bald and Proud to be!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 01:14:57 PM »
When i shaved my head for the first time today (wet shave) i just used the shampoo as the 'shaving foam'.

Been several hours now and all ok, so far!

Enter your email address: