Author Topic: What are some of your most essential items?  (Read 3895 times)

Offline ILikeASMR

• Learning the way of Sly
What are some of your most essential items?
« on: June 18, 2013, 11:20:30 PM »
I've had short hair for a long time (dandruff sucks) but I decided to try shaving it smooth a couple of months ago and I really liked the result. All I did was use the exact same stuff that I use on my face (a new triple blade razor and some Barbasol.)

I'm overwhelmed with all the products I've seen on here and I can't really afford to go buying one of everything just to try. I've never used a pre-shave scrub, alum, a shaving brush, witch hazel?, after shave balm, lotion, moisturizer, exfoliates, special head/face soap, etc.

Over time, I'm sure I'll try all sorts of products but in the meantime, is there any way you can help me narrow down my shopping list a bit?

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
Re: What are some of your most essential items?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 12:06:10 AM »
The pre-shave scrub can get pricey. You can get a different form of it by buying it in bar form. Some of the natural food markets carry it in that form. Probably $5-6 a bar which is the same as the paste but it lasts a lot longer. I got mine at a place called Trader Joe's in Illinois.

As far as the alum bar I read somewhere (in here, I think) that if you buy one of these things called a Thai Deodorant Stick you can rub that on a cut with the same effect. You can use styptic pencils, too, but they burn and leave a white residue.

I don't use a shaving brush so I can't really comment. Some of the guys in here are absolute believers. I might be, too, if I tried one for a while but I haven't done it.

Witch Hazel.....accept no substitutes. It's the real deal. I mix aloe gel and tea tree oil in mine in case I shave a little too close and get some razor burn. That's one thing I won't do without.

I don't use after shave balms or lotions except for a thing called Osage Rub. I get it on Amazon and I think it's great. I sometimes get an itchy scalp after shaving and the Osage Rub shuts it down quick. It has a menthol chill to it that feels great.

The other stuff, special soaps, moisturizers, etc, well, you just have to run an occasional experiment and let us know how it goes.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Cave Dweller

• Bald & Bearded and staying that way.
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Not Bear nor Troll - just in the dark with the TV
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 03:13:18 PM »
There are a lot of products out there, but I use a basic shaving cream (right now it is Barbasol) and a Gillette Fusion. My head gets shaved at the same time as my face.

Then a shower.

After, a once over with an astringent like Sea Breeze. When I first started, I applied an after shave balm until my skin got accustomed to it.  Now, however, that's it for me.

Oh, and welcome, ILikeASMR.  I did not see this was your first post.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 03:19:01 PM by Cave Dweller »
"A man who has lost his hair and is bald is clean."
Leviticus 13:40
(Do not argue with Moses!)

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 06:04:43 PM »
For you guys using shaving stuff out of a can.... do yourself a favor and get some GOOD shave soap. I recommend Cella, Proraso, and RazoRock products but there are other great shave soaps out there.

Also, once you use a brush you will never be without one again. You can get a NICE brush for about $30.

As for products..... I love the Bee Bald products. It's a great line.

For an after shave I LOVE .... Clubman Pinaud. It's a classic old school scent that only costs about $8 for a bottle. Don't be put off by how inexpensive it is, it is great.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline xabydaddy

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 07:37:14 PM »
Shave soap and brush, witch hazel and St. Ive's Apricot Scrub

Offline Plano

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 09:21:35 PM »
I definitely second the St Ives Apricot Scrub (or a store brand similar).

Nivea Shave Gel (never cream as I have sensitive skin), triple blade Gillette Fusion Razor, Kiehl's Matte Finish Face Lotion (however I put it on my head, too, EXCELLENT stuff), I also use the Nivea cream in a tin on my face.

My skin is extremely nice and always get compliments on it, but it's because I take good care of it, and I do pay a little more at times.

I also use the Kiehl's "wake up" face wash in the shower. It's called "Facial Fuel", it's EXCELLENT.

Kiehl's is leaps and bounds better than most lines that I have experimented with, at least.
Semi expensive, but worth it.
Bald since 2005, showing it off since 2011.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 10:18:56 PM »
Welcome! I'm going to give you a short list of my sly essential items:

1. Shave Secret ($3.85 at WalMart)
2. Pack of Wilkinson DE blades ($1.76 at WalMart)
3. Witch Hazel (about $6)
4. Head Rub(free depending on how lucky you get ;D)

Aside from number four, Sly can get pretty expensive if you keep experimenting....but it will be worth it once you find the right combination...Good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline JustDoIt

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 11:19:20 PM »
I used to get bad dandruff and it was really because I didn't know certain things.  This led to my hair thinning a lot on top.

Do not wash your hair with hot water!  Wash your head and hair with cold water and massage the scalp.  When I started using cold water then my scalp felt so much better.  I used to blast my head with hot water thinking I'd get rid of the dandruff.  I had no idea.  Once I asked a barber and that's when I finally got some helpful advice to only use cold water on your head.  I wish I knew it sooner.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 12:26:57 AM »

+1  O0
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Plano

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 08:15:42 AM »

+1  O0

Can you guys let me in on the "Shave secret"?

Kinda curious. Looking it up now, just wanted some user feedback
Bald since 2005, showing it off since 2011.

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 09:21:54 AM »
Badger brush, headslick, shave secret, headblade sport, Nivea post shave balm. Dollop of headslick on the brush, 7 drops of shave secret, add abit of water. Apply to head and then shave away. Awesome

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 09:23:31 AM »

Offline xabydaddy

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 01:53:50 PM »
Oops, forgot about Shave Secret! I mix a few drops in with my shave soap.

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re:
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 04:08:52 PM »
alum bloc....awesome

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 04:38:44 PM »
Never used an alum block, what are the advantages of using one? I might get myself one.

Enter your email address: