Author Topic: Roku opinions...  (Read 4054 times)

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
Roku opinions...
« on: May 27, 2013, 11:26:35 AM »
I am considering getting a roku. Does anyone on here have one? What are the pros and cons?

Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline jedge01

• Sly Jr.
  • Jim
Re: Roku opinions...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 12:13:05 PM »
No Roku, but we have an AppleTV, and a Blue Ray player that has all the "smart functions". The AppleTV works great.

Offline Cy

• Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 02:00:52 PM »
I had one of the first Roku boxes and it worked fine for about 3 years, still works, although Hulu streaming doesn't work on it but that's something corrected in the new versions. Netgear also makes a streaming device for about $50.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 06:31:18 PM »
Doug.... I have two and love them. I have an OTA antenna for HD local channels. I ditched DISH and saved over $80 a month by going with the OTA and Rokus. WE've watched more GOOD shows thru the Roku than I even knew existed.

Get the Roku and sign up for Netflix for $8 a month... a great combo. I did this for my very apprehensive Mom about 4 months ago. She LOVES the Roku and Netflix.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 07:29:08 PM »
Alternatively you can get a wi-fi capable blu-ray player for about $100-$150 and use it to stream programs. Its one less device to hook up to your TV.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 06:01:12 AM »
I opted for the Roku HD. We already have Netflix so now it's just a matter of seeing if we want to add Huluplus or Amazon Prime to the mix as well.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline jedge01

• Sly Jr.
  • Jim
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 07:24:25 AM »
We tried both Hulu and Amazon, and found Hulu had more of the shows we wanted to watch. Ditched cable, got the HD antenna and now have better looking TV than with cable. Nevermind saving about $110 a month.

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
Re:
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 01:22:16 PM »
Alternatively you can get a wi-fi capable blu-ray player for about $100-$150 and use it to stream programs. Its one less device to hook up to your TV.

This is possibly a better solution. I do something similar. My telly is connected to wifi enabled Dell Zino small form computer.

Offline geeman

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re:
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 03:43:30 AM »
I use a ps3, it had a blu ray and you can watch Netflix, love film, YouTube etc, also BBC iPlayer, channel 4, 5 and ITV, oh....and it plays games lol...I can also stream movies if needed, but I just plug my laptop into my home cinema amp, isn't technology great lol....but in the uk, we have to pay £10 a month to the BBC for a licence.... Or go to jail....go figure....

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
Re:
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 02:43:38 PM »
Have to say that the UK annual television license is good value. It covers the whole household and pays for BBC radio and the BBC web site, too.

But that's just my opinion...

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re:
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 04:17:37 PM »
Have to say that the UK annual television license is good value. It covers the whole household and pays for BBC radio and the BBC web site, too.

But that's just my opinion...

I'd be willing to pay that much to reduce or eliminate the number of commercials on broadcast television.  Or I would if there was much of anything worth watching on broadcast television these days.