Author Topic: Beating Balding - Video  (Read 5185 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Beating Balding - Video
« on: August 06, 2006, 01:52:24 AM »
I did a search on "Bald" at YouTube and found this video.  I thougt it was interesting because of the reaction that this guy's parents had to him shaving his head.  Did anyone else get this reaction?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/5mqfZhgsanw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/5mqfZhgsanw</a>

People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline happyharry

• Team Sly
  • Super Sly
  • bald, bold and beautiful
Re: Beating Balding - Video
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 08:33:55 AM »
Wow, great video, Tyler!

Watch out for the reaction of his father (the kid says he's got a receding hairline): "Why would you want to make it worse?"...HAHAHAHA ;D
Who loves ya, baby?

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 10:07:53 AM »
I got a similar reaction when I shaved my head 10 years ago.  My dad said, "Marshall, it looks like hell".  My stepmom didn't cry like the lady in this video however.  But neither one of them understood.  Eventually both of them got used to it.  My dad however has passed on.  My stepmom has occasionally made comments about me growing it back or about the last time I had hair.  But she has pretty much accepted it (althought I am sure that she doesn't like it).  While I am at it, I would like to invite you all to look at a recent topic I posted on my group on Yahoo called, Christian Chromedomes.  I recently had pressure from a friend to grow my hair back.  To go to Christian Chromedomes, go to: groups.yahoo.com/group/christianchromedomes .  Let me know what you think.  Look for the topic, "Pressure to grow hair back."

Offline VFRWolf

• Sly VFR Rider
  • Super Sly
    • My off roading page
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 10:33:20 AM »
Boy, his dad is a tool.  Moron?  My parents may not have liked it, but they didn't call me names.
Rob
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/071117/sampa714ba256de1d637.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Vash

• Be Kind For Everyone You Meet Is Fighting A Hard Battle
  • Super Sly
  • Bald, Bearded, Tattooed, Awesome!
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 06:46:20 PM »
my folks weren't THAT freaked out... They were surprised, but not rude. My mom just said that she thinks I am much more handsome with my curly hair.

They weren't TOO shocked as I have a history of changing my hairstyle and color fairly often. I wore it short my whole life until my senior year of high school when I grew it long and started wearing a pony tail. I'd been shaving from the tops of my ears down (with the top long, past my shoulders) for years to fight my psoriasis for years before I went all the way.

I've had it Black, Crayola Red, Red w/bleached White Streaks, Green, Blue, Brown and my own natural red/blond.

SO, finally shaving my head clean couldn't have been all that unexpected. My folks don;t really talk to much aboutit other then to mention from time to time that they miss my curly hair (everyone else in the family has straight brownish hair).
~Vash

FB: Vashon Bench
Twitter: @gingerbeardpdx
Instagram: @gingerbeardpdx

Offline cs1solo

• Sly Jr.
    • resDeus
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 11:14:19 PM »
Wow, I wish I thought to videotape my parents reaction.  It was pretty uneventful anyway.

Offline Cam

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • The honey tastes sweeter when you anger the bees.
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 11:45:36 PM »
Wow. Could his parents have overreacted any more?! I forget how closed minded and ignorant people can be.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 04:25:28 AM »
He looked a lot more natural than his dad, he must have reacting to his own hair loss.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline half-shaved

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 04:53:42 AM »
but...why was the guy all dainty with the clippers? dig it in there, rip it out!! you're not doing it right if you don't come away with clipper scrapes!

Offline Noner

• I don't go shopping for hats. Hats go shopping for me.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Not a real doctor but would like to play one on TV
    • Nonerville
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 04:25:34 PM »
FAKE!

I've seen better acting watching my little cousin in his 4th grade play.

Great effort though.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 09:11:58 PM »
They really don't like that haircut.

Offline Professor Melon

• Professor Melon
  • Super Sly
  • Professor Melon
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 09:01:25 AM »
 :x! :x! I think the guy's parents had a hard time because the image of an adult bald son threatens their own self-images and suggests 1) he's not a teenager any more, and 2) they are in deep middle age. If they had any objectivity, they would see that their son looks much better bald. The father's insulting overreaction is a displacement of his own negative feelings, e.g. HE hasn't the courage to do something radical and natural about HIS own balding. He was so full of himself that he could not even hear his son's rationale. I give the young man credit for steering his own course. If he needs support, Tyler, tell him about SBG. Professor Melon
Embrace the bald truth

Offline baldhog

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 07:24:28 PM »
His dad looked like a dope with those Homer Simpson single strands of hair on the top of his head and the full hair on the sides.  I wonder does he take time in the morning to comb the top hairs?  Maybe put a little dippity-do syling gel up there? What's the point?

The kid looked way better slick by the way.