Author Topic: Headblade or Dorco?  (Read 2887 times)

Offline MisterBurnz

• Learning the way of Sly
Headblade or Dorco?
« on: May 13, 2013, 12:57:47 AM »
I currently use a Schick Hydro 5 power (or whatever the vibrating variation was called) and it's fantastic. That being said, the price of the blades are not fantastic (as is true with most blades) so i ask you fellow sly folk, would you recommend the ATX (tried the regular, cut my head something fierce) or a Dorco 6 blade? I'm tempted to experiment with the Dorco due to the low price, but on the other hand the ATX seems to have gotten fantastic review. So I turn to the holy grail of sly knowledge. What do you guys think?

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
Re: Headblade or Dorco?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 09:18:28 AM »
For a number of years I was a Head Blade devotee and then something went awry. I couldn't shave my head with my HB without substantial bloodletting. I had been using a Personna M5 Magnum for my face and I started using it on the dome. Problem solved.
I haven't tried it but there may be people in the forum who have tried/love the Dorco line. I think they've gotten some write-ups. Check the section of the forum called "Product reviews" under "Various Bald Discussions" and see if any opinions have been expressed.
I guess what I'm saying here is use what works for you. Price is secondary where blood is concerned IMHO.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 10:49:45 AM »
It's really going to be hard to tell which one is the best for you without trying out both.  The HeadBlade works great for many of us, but not so for others. Though, with the 20% discount from SBG, it helps with the purchase of blades going forward.  
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 01:10:40 PM »
Experimentation is key. I say try both then decide which one works best for you. I'm an ATX user, in my experience the quality of the shave is fantastic and the price is reasonable.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline MisterBurnz

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 01:13:26 PM »
Just ordered some of the 6 blade Dorco razors. If I don't come back that means they worked horribly and the paramedics most likely need to be called  :D

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 02:51:04 PM »
Either way get an alum block to seal up any nicks or cuts that occur in the process.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill