Author Topic: Just went sly for the first time, need help!!  (Read 5477 times)

Offline dalecooper

• Sly Jr.
Just went sly for the first time, need help!!
« on: June 18, 2007, 09:12:52 PM »
Ok so either this is ALOT harder than I thought it would be, or I suck at shaving.  Right now, my head is not "slick".  If I put my hand on my head, I can't even move it because of the stubble of hair.  I used gillette shave gel and headblade... the headblade was pretty awkward to use and wasn't cutting well, hair didn't rinse out of the blades well either (and yes I was holding it the right way).  So I started using my mach 3 which was much easier.  Anyways... I don't know if it looks so funny cause its pale underneath, or all the hair isn't completely off and its not slick.    I have quite a bit of red bumps too...  I'm frustrated not only by how it turned out, but how hard the process seemed.  I can't imagine doing this every day, it would take FOREVER.

Note: I did not go against the grain...

Any help or advice is much appreciated. 

-Joe

Offline dalecooper

• Sly Jr.
Re: Just went sly for the first time, need help!!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 09:21:10 PM »
So my head feels alot smoother after baldguyz moisture gel...

I think my scalp is just so pale underneath...  I am definitely an extra for american history X right now hahahah.  The contrast of where the hairs are and my white scalp looks odd to me.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 09:25:21 PM »
Get out and get some sun bro - It will look better.  Congrats on going sly.  Pretty darn liberating ain't it!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 09:26:26 PM »
Ok so either this is ALOT harder than I thought it would be, or I suck at shaving.  Right now, my head is not "slick".  If I put my hand on my head, I can't even move it because of the stubble of hair.  I used gillette shave gel and headblade... the headblade was pretty awkward to use and wasn't cutting well, hair didn't rinse out of the blades well either (and yes I was holding it the right way).  So I started using my mach 3 which was much easier.  Anyways... I don't know if it looks so funny cause its pale underneath, or all the hair isn't completely off and its not slick.    I have quite a bit of red bumps too...  I'm frustrated not only by how it turned out, but how hard the process seemed.  I can't imagine doing this every day, it would take FOREVER.

Note: I did not go against the grain...

Any help or advice is much appreciated. 

-Joe

Hi, Joe.

It's not that hard to do every day.  It gets much easier the more experienced you get with handling the razor, and it's also much easier to shave off one days' worth of stubble every morning than it is to remove a lot of hair, like you have to do the first time you shave. 

Did you buzz your hair before you started shaving, and if so how short did you go?  You should get it as short as possible to make the shaving itself easier.  The reason you are not smooth is because you shaved with the grain.  To get totally smooth you have to against the grain, though you may experience more irritation if you do.  The Headblade is not particularly easy to use at first, especially to someone who's new to shaving.  Stick with the Mach III since you found it easier to use (I do as well).  Exfoliate and use some Bactine or rubbing alcohol on your scalp to get rid of the bumps.

Most importantly, don't give up just because things got off to a rocky start.  Stick with it; I promise things will get better. 

Congratulations on going sly.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 09:29:54 PM »
So my head feels alot smoother after baldguyz moisture gel...

I think my scalp is just so pale underneath...  I am definitely an extra for american history X right now hahahah.  The contrast of where the hairs are and my white scalp looks odd to me.

Hang in there.  Get some sun on the dome (but be careful not to get TOO MUCH).  It will look a lot better once you get a little color and that shouldn't take too long this time of year.  It might look a little awkward in the beginning, but you will be rewarded for your persistence.  You might be tempted in the next day or two to grow your hair back -- it's not uncommon to have mixed emotions in the beginning.  It's important not to give in to the temptation; you need to hang in there to truly get the "sly experience".

Offline dalecooper

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 09:32:28 PM »
I took it down to a no guard on these old clippers we have.... but it wasn't extremely short....

I'll just have to get used to going with the grain, and then start going against it once my scalp starts getting used to it.

Side note, man it feels crazy as I rub my hand on my head!! haha   I definitely do need some sun though, because I've been outside the past couple weeks so my face has gotten some color, now there is a contrast.  I just had to go sly and see what it looked like.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 09:36:26 PM »
It sounds like you just didn't clip your hair short enough to begin with.  It will be easier from here on out as long as you don't wait for more than 2 or 3 days to shave again.  After you've shaved a few times, your scalp will start to get used to the razor and toughen up a bit.

Offline dalecooper

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 09:40:02 PM »
I actually kinda like it already, definitely gonna stick it out for the week.  My sister comes out here in 2 weeks, I want to surprise her  :)

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 10:01:53 PM »
congrats dcooper and welcome to the sly fraternity.  gr8 advice/tips  from razor & wpruitt....

keep it SLY,

WARHWAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Slickdome

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 10:32:49 PM »
Welcome to the bald brotherhood, dale.  The more practice you get with shaving your dome, the easier it will become.   After 4 years, my slickdome can pretty much shave itself....hehehehe.

Offline dalecooper

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 12:18:17 AM »
Pics to come tommorow...

I must say, I don't think there is any turning back.  This has been the final step in one of the best decisions I've ever made in my life.  I seriously don't even care what people think of it, I'm so stress free compared to when I was trying to cover up my hair.  LIBERATION!!!!!!!!!!!!   My sunroof will now permanently stay open  ;D

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 06:12:19 AM »
Congrats Dale.  It is a big step, but I'm sure you won't regret it.  You'll also be surprised at how quickly you get up-to-speed with shaving.  Everyone seems to be different, so you have to experiment and find what works for you.  I'm  right at the end of my second month.  I feel more confident than ever and it's starting to feel like a "second-nature" thing to do my morning shave.  Try not to get to frustrated, you will get it.

Just keep comin back to all of the other brothers if you need help or advice.  We're there for ya!!! 8)
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 06:19:25 AM »
Congratulations Dale taking the plunge.  As the other bros have said; IT DOES get easier with time and experience.  Keep hanging in there and enjoying that freedom.  Way to go O0
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Jay

• Sly
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 06:45:14 AM »
I agree with all of the above.

It does get easier and yes, your scalp will toughen up slightly to take the blade better.

Offline Koaa2

• Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 06:48:30 AM »
Congratulations!

It does get easier. I used to nick myself at first, but found slowing down a bit helped a lot. I now am doing it everyday with a Mach 111 razor. I use an electric sometimes but does not get as slick as the razor. The slick clean look and feel is the way to go!

Good luck.

"Wherever you go, there you are"

Enter your email address: