Author Topic: HELP  (Read 1924 times)

Offline 50plus

• Sly
HELP
« on: April 27, 2013, 12:44:22 AM »
Just registered and need HELP
I've been reading different things on here for a while and you guys are particularly helpful so here goes …

I was diagnosed with a scarring alopecia about 9 years ago. The top of my scalp is missing a lot of hair though its very unlike a male pattern baldness. There are (many) circles of no hair at all in a random pattern all over the top of my scalp. It's quite a gross look without the hair program. Yes..for 9 years I've worn a hair program and on the positive side it does look good as the hair I DO have is fringe, sides and back SO the program sits right on top and blends in really well.
That's the only good thing I can say about the whole ordeal. I"m sick and tired of the maintenance, tape, movement, having to sleep a certain way, holding mirrors, etc, etc, etc, etc etc. I"m so sorry I didn't just shave from day one but looking back I was petrified and in all honesty wanted people to view me as I've always been.

YES there is the cost - if you work it out about 1500-2000 a year not to mention clinic visits and blah blah blah.

I want to shave it BUT its a scarring alopecia and so would it look …….anyway you get the gist. I'm at my wits end. Clearly I don't have the guts to just do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The wife says don't do it.

Last but certainly not least thank you for having such a helpful forum. I can see you have helped a lot of people.

The funny thing is every single bald guy I see looks good to me. Despite the word 'funny' its not been funny for a while now.

Thank's

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: HELP
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 05:09:12 AM »
Welcome to another brother from Down Under! Many guys here have invested in systems only to resort to shaving it off. Believe it or not, shaving will minimize the appearance or even make the alopecia a memory. If the urge is there to give sly a try go for it! As for the Mrs., just explain to her that this is something you want to try and if you (or her) doesn't like it, you can always go back....A shaved head grows back to a short buzz in roughly three to five days. Good luck and keep us posted with whatever you decide!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 05:20:59 AM »
Welcome mate,

Where abouts in Aus are you?

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I just googled the condition that you are living with and it seems that it could have a big impact on a shaven look or none at all!

Either way I hope you find something that suits you!
Lynchy

Offline 50plus

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 05:23:51 AM »
Very encouraging Sir Harry. That was a great read and I needed it. Thanks again. As you can prob guess stress and worry about this whole thing is a daily thing for me now. The wife not liking the idea is the least of the problem though. It's my own vanity, lack of self worth I think. Thanks again mate
As I've said in another post you all look great - yes every one of you - so what's my problem?  

Offline 50plus

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 05:29:21 AM »
Thanks Lynchy. I needed that too. To answer your question I'm just outside Sydney, around Mascot. Some words from you guys have been great already. wasn't expecting such a quick response. Cheers

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 05:36:51 AM »
50plus, don't be so hard on yourself. You don't have a problem, it's just a fear of the unknown. Many people are nervous when shaving their head for the first time.....but many people, once they do it, always say "Why didn't I do this sooner?". I don't know if there are barbers who shave heads in Australia, but you could go there for the first headshave to make it a little easier on yourself. Also, many people, they may not say anything, but they probably can detect that you are wearing a system. If/when you do the deed, don't be surprised if the Mrs. gives you plenty of headrubs. Good luck and keep us posted!

P.S. Stick around, and you will get to meet some more of our Down Under Brethren in addition to Lynchy!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline 50plus

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 06:10:35 AM »
Yes sir Harry I've heard a lot that people do wish they had done it sooner. I'll try not to be so hard on myself. Cant get over the fact that you guys look so great.

Really looking for photos of those who have shaved after a scarring alopecia like mine - you know..the patches missing and all that.

I'll stay in touch regardless and thanks again.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 03:19:09 PM »
Welcome.  Like Lynchy I am also from Canberra so not far down the highway.

Many years ago I had a wart-type growth removed from my head by 'burning' it off.  It left an odd round pale mark.  When I was thinking about shaving my head I was concerned this would look odd.  However after a short time after shaving the skin colour round the mark evened out and now I can't tell it was ever there.  Your alopecia scars might be more widespread but in a short time the skin colour will even up.

Then you will be just as handsome as all the other men on this great site not to mention the thousands of other men you see shaved in all walks of life.

Shaving is very liberating and does wonders for your confidence - not to mention the savings in money.

Good luck and post a pic.
Roger

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 08:50:19 PM »
Thanks Lynchy. I needed that too. To answer your question I'm just outside Sydney, around Mascot. Some words from you guys have been great already. wasn't expecting such a quick response. Cheers

No worries mate!
Let us know how you get on :)
Lynchy