Author Topic: Some questions from a first-timer...(cuts, razor burn, etc)  (Read 5390 times)

Offline rjf915

• Learning the way of Sly
Hello all:

So glad to find this form online. It's like a support group...us bald guys have to stick together!

I'm 24 years old, and I've been slowly losing my hair since I was 19, so I decided a few weeks ago to just take the plunge and shave my head. I think I like the look but I'm running into some problems that are very frustrating. My shaving routine is as follows:

1) 5-10 minute shower in warm water
2) Massage my head with Gillette Mach3 Shaving Cream, let it sit for 3-4 minutes
3) Shave with the grain using a Mach 3 razor
4) Shave against the grain
5) Shower in cold water, rub the head with Gillette aftershave

And basically I'm running into the following problem that I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on....

CUTS. Every time I've shaved I see blood dribble on the sink and it is really unpleasant. This seems to happen when I shave against the grain...especially on the sides of my head where the hair is thicker

I'm tempted to just stop shaving my head because of this...I've shaved a handful of times now and it's happened each time. I try to go slow and take my time. Maybe I'm not using the right shaving cream? I would just go with the grain, but the shave is not nearly as close when I do that....I've also tried using shorter strokes instead of longer ones, but that only helps slightly.

I also have unsightly razor burn and bumps that last for a day or two. When I shower immediately after shaving (and for about a day after that), the water, even if is just lukewarm, stings as it hits my head!

Can anyone recommend any products or tips? I'm a little apprehensive to shave again! I tried the HeadBlade once instead of the Mach 3, and it give me a LOT of nicks, so I just switched back to the Mach 3. I'm sure it's my technique (or incorrect product use) that is causing this.... having these nicks and bumps kind of defeats the purpose of the look I'm trying to achieve.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Some questions from a first-timer...(cuts, razor burn, etc)
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 09:27:16 AM »
First off, welcome rjf.  Glad to have you with us.  Sounds like you have a good routine and the cold water rinse can be key in helping to close those pores  However, not every product or routine works equally well for each guy but you may want to trying changing from shaving cream to a gel, oil or specialty product like HeadSlick which gives a close shave without a lot of irritation.   Using some sort of exfoliator can help by removing old skin that can cause problems as well.   I was using ClearHead after shaving for the bumps, but on advice here have switched to the moisturizing gel from BaldGuyz and its doing a better job of eliminating bumps.   Again, each guy has to find a routine that works for him but the important thing is DON"T GIVE UP.   If you enjoy being sly keep working at it...
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Johannes

• Sly
  • Straight Razor Shaver
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 11:20:37 AM »
Welcome RJF,

1 Wash head thorhoughly with soap and warm water. Towel dry
2 Rub PREP CREAM into head to form a creamy protective layer.
3 Later over PREP with shaving gel or shaving foam
4 Shave carefully with a clean sharp razor using firm light strokes.
5 Rinse razor frequently in hot water to prvent razor clogging
6 Rinse the head towel dry
7 Use a block Aluin (Ingredients: Aluminium Postassium Sulfate) and go over the head with it.
8 Use a afther shave or a Balm.

Hope it works for you
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 11:22:33 AM by Straight razor »
Nothing better than one sharp blade

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 11:37:19 AM »
Welcome RJF ... Some good advice here - and whatever you do, don't stop shaving the dome!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline davetrostle

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 04:48:28 PM »
Try using an old double edge razor. Since I've switched to one, ALL my issues have become a thing of the past. They are super cheap to operate and there are many choices for blades. I got my 1961 Gillette adjustable "Fat Boy" for 30 dollars shipped with about 100 blades.

If you do decide to use an old school DE I would recommend picking up one that is adjustable. Start off using the lowest number setting and work your way up to a number that works best for you. Try using it a new blade on your face first to slightly dull the blade before moving to your scalp. Hope this helps. Good luck.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2007, 04:54:33 PM by davetrostle »

Offline YOSP

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 04:53:53 PM »
RJF...welcome to the site bro...I am the same as you. Just take your time and shave with the grain for a while. I changed from a Mach III to a Schick Extreme ice cool or something like that, and my head has seen a tremendous improvement. Also change up your aftershave, I use TendSkin and then Nivea shave balm. It works for me, and let me tell, although I din't see many cuts, I have VERY sensitive skin, and have seen a 100% improvement. Don't give up bro...take your time! O0 

Offline rjf915

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 05:39:56 AM »
Hi all. Thanks for the tips and encouragement, and please keep them coming if anyone has any more ideas! Probably gonna try again tonight or tomorrow based on some of the ideas here....keeping my fingers crossed.

Offline johndan

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 02:44:13 PM »
I have tried alot of different creams and gels and think the Aveeno Therapeutic gel is the best  protection for sensitive skin. Edge also offers some great gels to try. Try using longer strokes so you are not putting the blade "down" on your head as often. I had some major issues with bumps at first and decided after spending a few hundred bucks on Clinique products that I was just using too many products to compensate for another products downfall, so don't get sucked into that. KEEP IT SIMPLE! I have not tried the Neutragena razor defense line but  have heard it works well on some people. Avoid products with Alcohol as it is very drying and menthol irritates sensitive skin. Today I purchased a Philishave 7780 cool skin electric, which is the same as a Norelco but I don't know which number,  and will let you know how that goes.

Offline johndan

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 02:48:36 PM »
I forgot to mention that as much as you want that ultra smooth finish you get from against the grain shaving, you may just have to shave with the grain at first until your head gets used to a blade being dragged across it.

BaldRob

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 03:44:55 PM »
In addition to what everyone else has said, try shaving in the shower... get a fog free mirror from Target or Walmart so you can see what you're doing.  Shaving in the shower definitely gives me a much better shave and I rarely ever get any irritation.

Definitely exfolitate on a regular basis... HeadShed is good and so is the St. Ives Apricot Scrub.

Also, ditch the Mach 3 Shaving Gel... you definitely need to go with a higher quality gel or cream!  Headslick was mentioned as well as others.  I personally use King Of Shaves Shaving Gel and/or Shaving oil.  I have used the Gillette Shaving gels in the past, and tried a trial size again recently... not nearly as comfortable as the higher quality products.  Bald Guyz also puts out a shaving gel, but I haven't tried it yet.

While the headblade doesn't work for everyone, watch the headblade 101 video on their website... as you said, it might be your technique.

When shaving, try going with the grain... much easier on the scalp until your head gets used to shaving.

Always rinse very well... cold water after if you wish (however, I break out badly if I rinse with cold water).

When getting out of the shower, don't ever rub your head dry with a towel... always pat it dry.  Rubbing can cause irritation on your scalp.

And last but not least, use a moisturizer a little while after shaving.  You don't want to do it immediately because that could also clog your pores giving you the bumps.

Good luck!!

Offline rjf915

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 07:46:54 PM »
Hi all, I tried a lot of tips here tonight it went okay but not much better...I feel like I was just going over the existing bumps / wounds, so next time I'm going to try just going with the grain...and then try against the grain a day or two after.

I tried HeadSlick, but it surprised me how quick it evaporated off my head. I'm not sure if I was being too stingy in applying it, or if I should just start shaving immediately after applying it....

BaldRob

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 08:48:57 PM »
Hi all, I tried a lot of tips here tonight it went okay but not much better...I feel like I was just going over the existing bumps / wounds, so next time I'm going to try just going with the grain...and then try against the grain a day or two after.

I tried HeadSlick, but it surprised me how quick it evaporated off my head. I'm not sure if I was being too stingy in applying it, or if I should just start shaving immediately after applying it....

With the bumps, you may want to give them a few days to heal....

You don't need a lot of headslick... I always leave whatever cream or gel on for about a minute before shaving.  That gives it time to soften up the hair some before dragging the the razor across the scalp!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 09:58:08 PM »
Hey bro, welcome to Sly Bald Guys!

Make sure you aren't applying too much pressure to the blade.  Use a fresh blade and barely press the razor against your skin when you make your passes, letting the blade to all of the work.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 10:03:33 PM »
You have a couple options:

1) get a headblade and you can feel when you are gripping too hard(plus you only need minimal pressure)

or

2)  get an electric razor/shaver that is wet/dry.   It will do almost as good a job and you won't get the cuts or bumps.   you also don't have to replace blades all the time.

My personal routine is to go in the shower, rinse head with warm water, put on edge shave gel, let sit for a couple of minutes, then pull out either the electric or headblade and go to work.    Then I do a cold water rinse and if I see bumps I apply bump patrol that I buy at the store.   It does a good job with the bumps, but it will burn a bit for a second when first applied(if you get the liquid one).

You might also consider going to a barber shop and having them do it before trying again, and try to get some tips from them on how much pressure to apply, etc.

bald for life

Offline johndan

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 04:45:24 AM »
You should wait a bit longer before going against the grain again. You are just going to keep irritating the skin and the bumps will reappear.  Shave with the grain and be sure to take your time.

I used my new electric cool skin last night and was very happy with the results.  The shave was as close as a blade on the sides and back but I need to work on the top, I think I was pushing too hard up top, and felt a small amount of stubble left. The lotion pump is useless for putting any real amount of lubricant on you skin so I opted to just use my Aveeno gel then shave with the electric. Best part.... No Bumps, No Reddness.