Author Topic: Need help  (Read 9602 times)

Offline anupsabraham

• Sly Guy in Training
Need help
« on: April 06, 2013, 03:39:24 AM »
I am using gillette mach 3 turbo until now for shaving my head. Now I'm thinking about buying a trimmer or shaver. I came across Philips Norelco Head Groom(http://www.usa.philips.com/c/hair-clippers/headgroom-180degree-rotating-head-corded-cordless-qc5550_40/prd/en/). Anybody got any idea about how good is this one? Do I need to change the blade once in a while?

Also any other suggestions?

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Need help
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 04:13:24 AM »
I like the Andis series clippers which I own one....I don't own any Phillips, but regardless, most of the clippers, regardless of brand, give a smooth look, but nothing does it as smooth as a razor IMO.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline anupsabraham

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 05:50:07 AM »
I like the Andis series clippers which I own one....I don't own any Phillips, but regardless, most of the clippers, regardless of brand, give a smooth look, but nothing does it as smooth as a razor IMO.

Why I am going for a trimmer is that I get small irritations on the back of my head whenever I shave. So I need to wait for 2 days to shave my head again.

And I need an almost shaved look on my head. For that, which model will you suggest?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 06:10:45 AM by anupsabraham »

Offline Crowbar

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 08:11:06 AM »
Wahl "Baldfader" trimmers worked well for me. They have much finer teeth than the standard Wahl clippers and other clippers I looked at. This means that they really pick up all the hairs well (like a fine tooth comb does) and they cut pretty close to give that one day growth look and feel
and the end of our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time

Offline EN4CER

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 03:42:24 PM »
Hi Anup.

I bought the Philips QC5550 a few weeks ago and think it's absolutely brilliant.

I buzz mine to about a number one, but the balder attachment will leave you clean  :)
Growing Old Disgracefully - But Bald!

Offline anupsabraham

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 06:54:30 PM »
Wahl "Baldfader" trimmers worked well for me. They have much finer teeth than the standard Wahl clippers and other clippers I looked at. This means that they really pick up all the hairs well (like a fine tooth comb does) and they cut pretty close to give that one day growth look and feel

Thanks for the reply.  :) I have seen my friends using Wahl products. I liked it better than my normal one.  :D Anyway, I saw a review video of bald fader. It does some amazing job. I'm impressed. But the problem is that there is no Wahl service center near my place. So in case I need any service to be done, I need to travel a lot for it.  :(  :-\

Hi Anup.

I bought the Philips QC5550 a few weeks ago and think it's absolutely brilliant.

I buzz mine to about a number one, but the balder attachment will leave you clean  :)

O0 Thanks for the reply.  :) I have some questions. Does this need any maintenance like blade changing or anything? Also using this causes any kind of irritation?

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 10:29:25 PM »
Hi, Anup....Sorry I took so long to respond back after your last question, but the key with most razors is to lubricate them with clipper oil before every use or at least once every three shaves. The clipper oil helps keep the teeth from rusting which can lead to a severe breakout of razor bumps. As for razor bumps, do you wash your scalp after every shave? What do you use for aftershave? Another possibility to stop razor bumps is to rub an ice cube across your scalp after every shave. PM me if you need some more suggestions on clippers and/or razor bumps. Good luck!

Offline anupsabraham

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 01:52:56 AM »
Hi, Anup....Sorry I took so long to respond back after your last question, but the key with most razors is to lubricate them with clipper oil before every use or at least once every three shaves. The clipper oil helps keep the teeth from rusting which can lead to a severe breakout of razor bumps. As for razor bumps, do you wash your scalp after every shave? What do you use for aftershave? Another possibility to stop razor bumps is to rub an ice cube across your scalp after every shave. PM me if you need some more suggestions on clippers and/or razor bumps. Good luck!

Thank you Harry.

I don't get large razor bumps. Just some little only. But it takes more than 1 day to clear. That's all. And I get these even when I'm using a new blade.

If you apply clipper oil on the razor blade before shave, won't these hair stick to the razor blades? ( I use Gillette Mach3 Turbo )

I wash my scalp after every shave. I use Brut aftershave sometimes. And sometimes I don't use aftershave at all.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 02:00:59 AM »
Even if you don't use aftershave, NEVER just shave and not apply something to calm the pores down. Even if you just use an ice cube, ALWAYS do some form of post-shave treatment even if it's just an ice cube rub, rubbing alcohol or just some witch hazel. It may burn or sting, but it's much better than doing nothing and getting razor bumps.

Offline anupsabraham

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2013, 02:13:25 AM »
Even if you don't use aftershave, NEVER just shave and not apply something to calm the pores down. Even if you just use an ice cube, ALWAYS do some form of post-shave treatment even if it's just an ice cube rub, rubbing alcohol or just some witch hazel. It may burn or sting, but it's much better than doing nothing and getting razor bumps.

Oh k... Thanks.. :-)

Offline EN4CER

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 02:41:53 AM »
Hi Anup,

No oiling or blade changing required with the Philips QC5550. They have self sharpening blades and the unit is waterproof, so you can wash it out.

Offline anupsabraham

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 03:13:56 AM »
Hi Anup,

No oiling or blade changing required with the Philips QC5550. They have self sharpening blades and the unit is waterproof, so you can wash it out.

Wow. That's excellent!!

Offline EN4CER

• Sly
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 03:37:26 AM »
Hi Anup,

Wow. That's excellent!!

indeed it is.. great clipper mate..  O0

Offline anupsabraham

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 03:46:04 AM »
Thanks man... :-) I'm going to buy it...  O0

Offline Crowbar

• Sly
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2013, 05:32:25 AM »
Thanks man... :-) I'm going to buy it...  O0

If you get it I would love to read a review, I haven't seen these in Australia
and the end of our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time

Enter your email address: