Author Topic: Just Tried Head Slick  (Read 3538 times)

Offline SlyGI

• Sly Jr.
Just Tried Head Slick
« on: June 15, 2007, 06:13:25 AM »
Hi All,

I've been trying to figure out the best routine for shaving my head-- I've been sly for about a month now. I'm still not confident enough to shave my head in the shower so I'm still shaving in the sink.

I've tried a few shaving products from the super cheap, Colgate Saving Cream and Barbasol, to the more expensive shaving cream from "The Art of Shaving."

I've been using Head Slick for about a week now. I really like it and it's reasonably priced (I got it from my local Walgreens). I pump one pump in the palm of my hand, then I use a shaving brush (wet with hot water) to foam it up. I  just can't believe how rich the lather is.

I still like to use shaving soap (and brush) on my face, Truefitt and Hill, but the head slick is staying on the head.

Also, I've noticed that when I shave my head, after going with and against the grain, I still have some stubble-- ever so slight. But, after my shave when I rinse cool water over my head, 90% of what I though was stubble seems to disappear. Does anyone know what is going on with my head?  :-\

Thanks!!!

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Just Tried Head Slick
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 07:10:25 AM »
Could be that some of the smaller hairs on your noggin are stickin around until you rinse. I have a similar problem sometimes.
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 07:46:05 AM »
I never thought of using a brush to lather up.

Using my HeadBlade Sport in my right hand I use the HeadSlick in my left while in the shower.  Feeling and re-slicking my noggin with one hand while shaving with the other I get every one of those stubborn sticky uppers!  With the shower water pressure, rinsing the HeadBlade super easy, no build-up in the triple blades.

I just close my eyes and enjoy my 3-4 minute shave followed by a cold water rinse!   ;)

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

Offline Jay

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 10:35:38 AM »
I never thought of using a brush to lather up.

Using my HeadBlade Sport in my right hand I use the HeadSlick in my left while in the shower.  Feeling and re-slicking my noggin with one hand while shaving with the other I get every one of those stubborn sticky uppers! 

O0

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 01:11:27 PM »
What razor are you using?  How many blades?
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline triumphcorvair

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 02:04:10 PM »
Twenty five years ago I bought a shaving brush and mug and I shaved with it for couple of years. But in the interest of saving time I put it aside.  I recently got back to using it again when I read about a routine to lather up and shave with the grain, then lather up a second time and shave against the grain.  At first I didn't believe it but it is the absolute closest shave I've ever gotten.  I attribute primarily to the badger brush.  Not only is it good at lathering the shave cream but it does a fantastic job exfoliating the skin.  I've been doing it for about two weeks now and my face is nice and tight when I'm finished.  I plan on dumping the cheapo safety razors and go to a double edged razor.  From what I've read there's a big difference in the two.
I probably won't use the brush on my scalp as I feel the HeadShed is doing a good job. 

Offline SlyGI

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2007, 05:20:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. As for the razor, I'm using the Mach-3, triple blades.

I did try a Shick four bladed razor, but the head didn't swivel enough for my chin or the back of my head.

I think it must just takes practice.

jusbnme

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2007, 07:39:23 PM »
Welcome SlyGI.  Glad to have you here.  One thing I noticed when I use to use the Mach 3 was that I had to make a couple passes to really get a close shave.  Maybe you try switching up your razor.  Maybe a Shick Extreme 3 blade, Fusion, or HeadBlade.  The HeadBlade works for a lot of guys around here and gets very close with, usually, just one pass. 

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2007, 10:52:46 PM »
SlyGI, if you're not sure about shaving in the shower, get a cheap fog-free mirror for the shower.  I've used mine for going on 3 years with no problems.  If you go this route and find that it doesn't always stay fog-free, try spitting on it and smearing it around.  Yes, that sounds gross, but it works every time.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2007, 11:28:40 PM »
SlyGI, if you're not sure about shaving in the shower, get a cheap fog-free mirror for the shower.  I've used mine for going on 3 years with no problems.  If you go this route and find that it doesn't always stay fog-free, try spitting on it and smearing it around.  Yes, that sounds gross, but it works every time.

I saw on TV once that if you rub shaving cream into a mirror it won't fog up.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 12:02:46 AM »
You really think anyone who hangs on this board has shaving cream !!!
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 07:00:38 AM »
You really think anyone who hangs on this board has shaving cream !!!

I do.  I don't actually use it, but I have it.    ;D