Author Topic: Poor Brian Urlacher.....  (Read 3740 times)

Online buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
Poor Brian Urlacher.....
« on: March 24, 2013, 02:57:04 PM »
Anyone else feel bad for him?

In my 20th year of police work I was paid $52,000 a year. In 1998 that was pretty good. I would have liked more, of course, but that was what we contracted for with the city.

Brian Urlacher just turned down $2 million for one more year with the Bears. That comes out (roughly) to $120,000 per game in a 16 game season. At halftime of the first game he would have already made $8,000 more than my best year as a cop. Every thirty seconds of the game he would have made $1,000 which is what I made in a week. Half of the game he is on the sidelines cheering and drinking Gatorade.
I think that Brian would have been better off had he either accepted the Bears offer or chosen to retire as a Chicago Bear. Of course I wish him all the luck in the world in finding a new team that's willing to pay him what he thinks he's worth.
I only bring this up because he's sly.

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline NoPony

• Sly
    • James Barley Woodturner
Re: Poor Brian Urlacher.....
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 03:35:27 PM »
It would be hard to feel sorry for him, just as there was not much sympathy for the recent NHL hockey strike.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2013, 03:40:33 PM »
I never liked the guy. I don't believe that he was ever as good as he thinks he is.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2013, 04:37:40 PM »
A lot of these pro athletes have an overblown estimation of themselves.

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2013, 05:14:30 PM »
I agree with Tom. All pro athletes (and their coaches) are a bunch of overpaid crybabies.
Hair is over rated.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 07:01:43 AM »
I do agree that pro athletes are a bit whiny....On the other hand, I guess they want to get what they can now, because years of sports, if not played properly can subtract productivity in the later years of your life....or worse, years period from your life. I do want to salute those athletes that do something productive with their money....(Anyone can make a dollar, but few make a difference.)
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline NoPony

• Sly
    • James Barley Woodturner
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2013, 08:57:30 AM »
(Anyone can make a dollar, but few make a difference.)
Very well put Harry.

Pshrynk

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 09:43:07 AM »
IMO it's a symptom of a sick society when people who play silly games live like kings, while the people at the bottom, who work hard and drive society, struggle to survive.  Not to mention all of the homeless mentally ill who wander hungry, lost and in pain. 

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 03:25:34 PM »
Well, it's like the concert pianist. Gets paid a bunch for playing one piece with the symphony (not as much as the football player, but a bunch).

He only gets paid that much because he's spent hours of practice preparing for that one performance.  Likewise, the football player puts in lots of practice at being beat up, for the short time that he's on the field.  Granted, the sports pay is exaggerated.  But there are also the fans willing to pay high ticket prices to see this guy, etc.

It's a 'market conditions' kinda thing.  Fresh salmon, "Market Price".  What are people willing to pay.   

Offline b.driscoll

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2013, 06:14:26 PM »
   I don't feel sorry for him at all.................but he was one of the best during his prime as 8 pro bowls and  a boatload of other credentials attest. He was a beast and can still play a bit although at a reduced rate. Some team will get him and pay him a nice chunk of change.