Author Topic: shake or not to shake  (Read 5676 times)

Offline sahil15

• Sly
shake or not to shake
« on: March 21, 2013, 08:43:45 AM »
Any guys out there taking protein shakes? Just wondered if its a good idea to take them on days when you are not working out? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

Peace
Sahil
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 08:47:50 AM by sahil15 »

Offline Viking

• Sly
  • The artist formally known as Gearhead.......
Re: shake or not to shake
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 12:02:40 PM »
Hope you don't mind but I was going to put up a simillar post so may aswell combine it with this one!!

When do you guys take your shakes, there seems to be a lot of conflicting information out there regarding before or after or even during!!

Offline sahil15

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 12:27:55 PM »
Viking i drink three protein shakes a day but I have been working out much longer.. so maybe you start off with two

This is what I usually do....

protein shake when i wake up

45 min before work out

one immediately after work out

To be honest in order to maintain my muscle mass it makes sense to give muscles protein even on days when im not working out.... maybe ill just have two protein shakes on my day off....

But I hope you are not ignoring carbs.... it should be balanced with your protein intake

Would be good to hear the opinions of other health freaks out there....

benlen

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 03:21:38 PM »
Sahil, I used to drink a lot of protein shakes, as well as Muscle Milk––bulking up on liquid calories and protein is a great way to go! I would usually drink protein shakes after a workout.

Since going vegan, however, I haven't had any protein shakes––generally what I do to compensate is drink lots of almond or coconut milk, make smoothies with bananas and spinach or kale, and eat lots of black beans, sweet potato, and rice––basically a more eastern influenced diet.

Offline sahil15

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 03:34:11 PM »
Since going vegan, however, I haven't had any protein shakes

Cheers for your post Benlen. I might have to try muscle milk one day as well... Wow I could never go Vegan... I like meat and chicken too much....I was under the impression Vegans could drink protein shakes.... as long as its not meat or dairy based... Or are they? not sure now. lol

Offline Viking

• Sly
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 06:43:30 PM »
My daily routine usually goes something like this:

- 8am - Wake up
- 9-10am - Exercise (static bike followed by weights)
- 10:30am - Eat breakfast (which is something I never used to do at all!)
- 11:30am - Go to work

What I am finding is that come about 12:30-1pm I am either really hungry or feel really drained. In the most part I am eating good and healthy, I am also trying to loose weight, I'm just a bit confused as at times I feel my body is screaming "feed me" but my brain is saying "no, don't do that!". I'm just trying to learn how to fuel myself and loose fat!!

Offline sahil15

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 01:19:01 PM »
My daily routine usually goes something like this:

- 8am - Wake up
- 9-10am - Exercise (static bike followed by weights)
- 10:30am - Eat breakfast (which is something I never used to do at all!)
- 11:30am - Go to work

What I am finding is that come about 12:30-1pm I am either really hungry or feel really drained. In the most part I am eating good and healthy, I am also trying to loose weight, I'm just a bit confused as at times I feel my body is screaming "feed me" but my brain is saying "no, don't do that!". I'm just trying to learn how to fuel myself and loose fat!!

Hey Viking,

sorry for the late reply... Let me start of by saying that its really good you are eating breakfast....

Now Im going to tell you what you should not be doing...

According to your schedule, you do weights before breakfast....THIS IS A BIG NO NO

how can you expect to lift weights when your body has no energy... you need to eat something before you can work out. In fact you need to eat something as soon as you wake up...

If you sleep for lets say 8 hours then your body needs nourishment to function properly...

This is the schedule I suggest...

1) 8:00 am wake up
2)8:15 am eat breakfast
3)9:00 am exercise/weights
4) 10:00am drink a protien shake as soon as you finish or eat something that has protein in it

If you follow this schedule I guarantee you that you will not feel tired or super hungry by  lunch time... but make sure you eat lunch.... dont skip meals....

If you are serious about losing weight then I also suggest you eat food that has fibre... for breakfast eat oatmeals or cereal thats high in fibre... for me nothing is better than a nice bowl of oatmeal... it full of good carbs and protein and fibre... great energy for exercising...

Eat something every three hours.... you wont put on weight if thats what you are worried about... as long as you are working out and eating healthy... you will begin to loose weight....

Offline Viking

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 03:23:27 PM »
Thanks again mate, really useful post.

I'll make the changes you suggest and see how I get on. Thanks.

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 08:08:14 PM »
G'day sahil, I personally still will have one if I feel like it on rest days.

I only have a shake after workouts, but that's more of an "I can't afford to have it multiple times a day" thing then an "I don't think you should" thing, and when I can, I'll be taking 1 before and after, and maybe one during the day too.

Viking, I think you should definitely have one after your workout at the very least. Not only does it aid muscle growth, but it also helps with recovery times too (or so I feel).

But definitely, make sure you are eating your breakfast before you work out... you'll find you will get a big improvement from that alone!

Offline Viking

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 05:16:42 AM »
Cheers again man!! 

!i#t

Offline Le Samourai

• Learning the way of Sly
    • A Gent in Training
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 06:11:46 PM »
I usually have a shake before and after a hard kettlebell workout. I also have one in place of dinner on nights I have martial arts training. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and a stomach full of solid food don't mix!

Here's my go-to smoothie recipe:

•   10-12 oz. cold green tea or water

•   1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk

•   1-2 frozen bananas

•   1/2 cup frozen organic mixed berries

•   1/2 cup frozen organic spinach, kale, or both

•   1 tablespoon ground flaxseed and/or chia seed

•   2 to 3 tablespoons protein powder

•   1 teaspoon powdered greens or spirulina (optional)

•   1 tablespoon coconut oil (optional)

A few quick points...

Add more green tea (or water) if the smoothie is too thick.

I use NutriBiotic rice protein powder. My smoothies tend to have 20-30 grams of protein.

Sometimes I substitute frozen tropical fruit (pinapple, papaya, mango, etc.) or acai in place of mixed berries.

You won't taste the spinach or kale.
—Le Samourai

A Gent in Training.... A blog about my continuing efforts to be improve myself, be a better person, and lead a good life. It incorporates such far flung topics as fitness, self defense, music, style, food and drink, and personal philosophy.
http://www.agentintraining.com