Author Topic: Who has used hair removal cream?  (Read 3939 times)

Offline Crowbar

• Sly
Who has used hair removal cream?
« on: March 21, 2013, 12:51:57 AM »
I was talking with a female friend today who noticed I had begun shaving my head. It was all positive and she said that she and many of her friends like that look on men. All good!
One thing she did ask though was had I thought about using hair removal cream? She wondered if that would be easier and also get a really smooth and longer lasting result.

Has anyone tried this? and what were your results compared to shaving?

Yes I know I bet this has been discussed since the site began, forgive me, I'm a newbie :)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 01:31:20 PM by Tyler »

and the end of our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Who has used hair removal cream?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 02:13:05 AM »
I think the general view is that it's a bad idea.  This could potentially burn your head and cause great damage because those creams aren't designed for heads!

Offline slybeard

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 09:51:07 AM »
I did try one cream sold under the brand name "Magic Shave" that is for heads.  From their website:

"Magic Shave Cream Smooth is formulated specifically to give a close and longer-lasting shave to bald head styles."

It is marketed specifically to black men, but I decided to give it a try anyway.  I found that while it did remove the hair and did not burn my skin, it was not as close as a blade or as long lasting.  I immediately had the sandpaper feel, similar to about 12 to 18 hours after razor shaving ATG.  Also, due to the wait time, it took me longer to use the cream than razor shaving. The directions say it works in as little as three minutes, but may be left on for up to 10 minutes.  It took me 10 minutes for it to work.  I suppose it may be a good alternative for those who's skin does not tolerate daily razor shaving.  But if you want baby smooth skin, this will not work.

You should also do a "small spot" test to make sure it will not burn your skin.  You don't want to discover your skin cannot tolerate the cream after you have it covering your entire head.  Also, do not use immediately after washing the skin - the natural oils help protect the skin.  All of the razorless creams use a caustic solution that is strong enough to chemically burn hair, with other additives to help protect the skin from the caustic.  Liquid drain openers use the same caustic to dissolve clogs in drain pipes, but don't try using that on your skin.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 09:57:00 AM by slybeard »
SlyBeard

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 11:33:22 AM »
I tried Nair on my chest last week with the same result. It did what it's supposed to do but left me with a small chemical burn.
Hair is over rated.

Offline bella

• Sister Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Sister Sly
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 02:15:37 PM »
I tried (in my early teens, I was dumb) pretty much every much hair removal cream out there on my legs and got nothing but awful burns.  Another "no way" from me.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 02:36:38 PM »
My advice would be to avoid them like the plague.

Offline baldOUfan

• Sly Okie
  • Sly
  • Boomer Sooner
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 12:52:46 PM »
it will burn, made my skin condition worse

Offline Bilko1

• Super Sly
  • Glad To Be Bald-by-choice
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 08:58:42 AM »
Avoid it, mate.

I tried it once. The stuff was smelly (not nice) & definitely didn't make the scalp as smooth as razor shaving.
BaldBill

Offline sam2021

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 09:40:38 AM »
What other brands of removal creams are there???  Has anyone used any of them?

Offline wutwutman

• Super Sly
  • "Isaac Hayes style boy!" lol
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 10:40:26 AM »
I used Magic Shave the first time I "shaved" my head on my brothers recommendation.  He's been using it for years.  It worked great and as advertised.  My head actually felt rather smooth.  I didn't get the "porcupine" feel until several hours later LOL  But no burns or discomfort, no burning/itching feeling.
** Wutwutman **
"To shave or not to shave... is that really a question?"

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 11:17:11 AM »
I'd avoid it personally. I haven enough issues with my skin as it is, I don't think I'd ever put chemicals on my head willingly.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline gutsygirl

• Surviving Chronic Illness with a Smile :D
  • Sly
  • Gutsy is as Gutsy does!
    • Naturally Gutsy - surviving gastrointestinal illness with a smile!
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 10:40:54 PM »
Crowbar, hun...
Definitely step AWAY from the Nair.   :popo  STEP AWAY, I SAID, SIR!  And put your hands up!
 :*))

Seriously though, that Nair junk is HARD on your skin and NOT designed for the delicate skin on your noggin.  It's given me bad burns on my legs when I decided to try that over shaving, and it smells to me like something burning...which was probably my freakin' skin!    :o

Also, I've heard that the chemicals in some of these depilatory products can cause vision loss, even blindness, if they get into your eyes.  Scary stuff!  Don't know if it's true, so I guess you can check Snopes.com or Mythbusters if you're more interested than me in verifying this theory.

In any case, Nair and most other depilatories aren't made for the head.  So if you want to spring for it ( :popo), just remember to use something that IS designed for your lovely noggin. 

Okay, mate?  (to mimic our wonderful Aussie friends here!  Hi fellas!)

Gutsy Girl
CRPSablaze.wordpress.com, NaturallyGutsy.com

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 10:52:58 AM »
Allow me to put it this way, if it's something you wouldn't use on your under carriage you shouldn't even let it anywhere near your noggin.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline gutsygirl

• Surviving Chronic Illness with a Smile :D
  • Sly
  • Gutsy is as Gutsy does!
    • Naturally Gutsy - surviving gastrointestinal illness with a smile!
Re: Re: Re: Who has used hair removal cream?
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 11:00:56 AM »
Allow me to put it this way, if it's something you wouldn't use on your under carriage you shouldn't even let it anywhere near your noggin.

Wow...uhm...that works too!!!  :D
CRPSablaze.wordpress.com, NaturallyGutsy.com

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 03:34:51 PM »
I'll second greatnessinc's comment... Would you put acid on your manhood? Don't put it over your brains either.

Enter your email address: