Author Topic: Using a DE razor for shaping/edging?  (Read 3438 times)

Offline Todo Duro

• Sly Jr.
Using a DE razor for shaping/edging?
« on: March 09, 2013, 01:01:55 PM »
... do you guys think that would work? Right now I'm having a hard time getting tight edges on my goatee with my disposable Gillettes, not really being able to see the blade means I'm always worried cutting away too much... I've been considering a DE anyway as I've read that when used properly it's much less likely to cause irritation compared to a disposable. And most importantly it seems like the angle the blade's at on a DE would make it easier to see what you're doing when shaping/edging the goat and stache... but having never used one before it's all guesswork really. Any tips?

.: you must laugh and sing if you want to conquer the world :.

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
Re: Using a DE razor for shaping/edging?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 12:10:52 PM »
If it's directly under the nose that you're trying to get to, I'd recommend an electric trimmer such as the microtouch (basically the same thing as the finishing touch). A DE wouldn't get directly under the nose very well. It's more than sufficient at getting the chin though. I'd recommend dumping the disposables all together and switching to a DE it'll save you boatloads of cash down the road.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline Todo Duro

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 01:02:38 PM »
Thanks Greatness. The space under the nose is happily taken by a growing moustache that I'm not planning to tamper with anytime soon so not an issue really :) it's the chin area I'm talking about, I guess getting the edges right is just going to be a matter of trial and error like most things in life.
anyway I've ordered a Muhle R89 razor off Amazon today, luckily I still have my old boar brush... The next few days are gonna be fun for sure :D

Offline NoPony

• Sly
    • James Barley Woodturner
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 01:31:17 PM »
not really being able to see the blade means I'm always worried cutting away too much...
I get my edges done with a disposable by sort of sneaking in closer one pass at a time, it might be a bit quicker with a DE but nothing I've ever given a second thought to.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 02:36:32 PM »
DEs are very good for trimming and shaping once you get used to using them.  They are heavy and you don't apply any pressure to the razor, so you can trim and shape carefully. 

Offline Todo Duro

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 02:54:38 PM »
DEs are very good for trimming and shaping once you get used to using them.  They are heavy and you don't apply any pressure to the razor, so you can trim and shape carefully. 

Yeah, that's also what I figured from watching a few video tutorials... I usually shape the same way as NoPony but I find disposable/cartride razors awkward to angle on my wonky jawline.

That aside, I quite like the idea of using something that's made to last rather than a two-bit mass-produced plastic piece that's only going to end to landfill... and if the feeling is half as good as a proper barber wet shave I'm sold before even trying :)

Offline Todo Duro

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 04:43:53 PM »
So today I came home from work to find a couple of parcels from Amazon on the doorstep... wham bam, unpacked everything, spent a few minutes ooohing and aaawing at the shiny chromed awesomeness of my new razor, lathered up and got down to business.
Well all I can say is too bad I didn't find out about DE shaving years ago. One of the smoothest shaves I've ever had (and I only went WTG), no irritation, not a single nick despite my shaky hand and nonexistent technique - not even in areas when I would ALWAYS get nicks and cuts when using cartridges... and defining the goatee lines has been almost a cakewalk, easy to see the blade, easy to tell if it's cutting right or not (I just had to listen)... so I guess my questions have been answered! And thanks everyone for pointing me in the right direction!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 07:18:34 PM »
Glad to hear you had a good first shave with the new DE.  You'll get more comfortable with each day and will be a pro in a short time!

Enter your email address: