Author Topic: What are your hidden talents?  (Read 3149 times)

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
What are your hidden talents?
« on: March 07, 2013, 07:38:01 PM »
I'm curious to see what special talents we all have. Who knows, maybe you'll have the same talent as another member.

I can juggle. I can only juggle three balls but I can do a few different patterns. I love doing it and want to learn different styles and work of juggling four balls.

Who's next? What's your hidden talent?

Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Re: What are your hidden talents?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 08:38:46 PM »
Sadly, I have no hidden talents. :'(

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 02:29:39 AM »
Hmmm... I play the guitar and sing.

Not for many people just close family and friends...... I wouldn't exactly call it a talent though.

I can juggle 3 balls in the normal pattern for about 5 seconds lol
Lynchy

Offline Viking

• Sly
  • The artist formally known as Gearhead.......
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 03:09:32 AM »
I'm not sure I have any talent, hidden or not!!

Offline sahil15

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 03:40:50 AM »
I can sing.... but only in the shower... as Im not allowed to sing in front of anyone because I apparently make people ear drums bleed

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 04:13:41 AM »
touching my nose with my tongue

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 06:10:05 AM »
Even at 52 years old I'm still a pretty good athlete.

For example.... I recently went took my teenage son to a birthday party for one of his 16 year old friends. It was at an indoor place that had laser tag, video games and baseball batting cages. There were about 15 boys there ages 15 to 17 years old.

Of course they all eventually made their way to the batting cages. Some of them started coaxing me to hit but I begged off. I haven't hit a softball in about 8 years (played for about 25 years before that) or a pitched baseball in about 25 years.
Of course they got the better of me and coaxed me into the cage to hit..... 65 MPH baseballs.

The first 6 or 8 swings weren't pretty. Stiff old body and no timing. There were some groans in the crowd and my son looked stunned because he's always heard that I was a very good ball player.

Then I started to get my timing down and started blistering balls. EVery pitch right on the meat of the bat. The groans quickly turned to "Whoa!". I took about 50 swings.

I walked out of the cage, sweating like a pig, to a lot of "Man that was awesome" compliments. My son was smiling from ear to ear.

One last thing.... I was sore as Hell for three days after that.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 06:13:25 AM »
Then there is basketball. I was a Hell of a player when younger. I could shoot the ball from anywhere.

I haven't played any competitive basketball in 30 years. BUT... I can still grab a ball, get on the court, and after a dozen or so shots bomb that ball thru the hoop from anywhere on the court.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 06:31:57 AM »
Golf - 4 handicap.
Runner - Run half marathons at 7:40 pace.
Soccer - Played comp level soccer for many years and continued playing after marriage. I'm actually very fast and played a great sweeper and right mid.
Music - Played saxophone (both alto & tenor) for close to 20 years. Played in high school, some in college, and got together with friends to play jazz music post-graduation for quite a while. As people's lives changed, the jazz get togethers ended. It was sad, as it was a blast and I'll admit, I was pretty darn good. I also played piano for many years. We've sold our piano and my saxes, which was a bit tearful, but they weren't being used. I'll still have the memories.

Unfortunately, injuries are getting the better of me. I have not swung a club since late October at my dad's memorial because I was recently diagnosed as having a bone spur in my left clavicle. I'm scheduled for surgery April 25th. I'm glad I did not play with the spur because I could have really frayed the bicep muscle (like a rope rubbing against the dock). The nice thing is, I've satisfied my golf craving by watching my daughter work on her golf game. She's down to an 8 handicap and drives the ball around 220. She's working hard with the plan to secure a golf scholarship. She's a freshman in high school, so she has time to really polish her game.

Also, after two ACL reconstructions, I've had my knees looked at. My doc has recommended that I cease running. I have symptoms of early osteoarthritis. So, my exercise routine is now limited to low impact things like walking and elliptical riding. 

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Billy

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 07:09:25 AM »
I'm without talent but I'm getting a knack for hypermiling...  Up to 38mpg city and 44mpg highway in an old '86 carburated Corolla and I don't think I've hit it's full potential ;)

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 07:50:50 AM »
I can play bass, guitar, drums, piano, and sing (bass and guitar are my best instruments, I'm half-decent on drums and have good meter and feel, and I'm at a very basic beginner's level on piano)!  I don't have perfect pitch, but I have great pitch memory and relative pitch.  I can tune up most stringed instruments within a few cents of correct tuning without an auditory reference! 
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 01:37:02 AM »
I have a natural talent (bowling, I average roughly 210 collectively in all of the leagues I bowl/substitute in) and a weird one. I spend every year between the Super Bowl and mid-April making fake NFL season schedules for the incoming season. I've completed two so far for 2013 and when the real schedule is released in April I will compare my guesses with the actual schedule to see how many I got right (yeah, I need a life, but it's like mind therapy; kind of like trying to finish that sudoku puzzle that has been kicking your butt.) It takes me about seven days on average to finish by time I finish out the various kinks, but still kind of fun to do when waiting for hours in the mechanic shop, doctor's office, etc.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 02:33:56 AM »
I play guitar, bass, harmonica, drums, orchestral percussion, ukulele, piano, ocarina, penny whistle, tongue drum, double bass, tuba, cajon, sing, beatbox... And when i broke my leg, i learnt to play my crutch as a flute. Music is my thing! I also have a knack for accents and voice impressions.

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 10:42:05 PM »
Some people say that my knowledge of poultry/genetics is a talent, I just chalk it up to the Aspergers...

Other than that, I can play the mouth harp some. I'm good at memorizing license plates and what vehicle they go to based off of memory. I do taxidermy work which some folks say is a talent.

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 10:58:59 AM »
...my knowledge of poultry... is a talent...

When it comes to bravery, I bet you are no chicken !