Author Topic: Advice needed - Pics included  (Read 6244 times)

X The Hierophant

Advice needed - Pics included
« on: June 12, 2007, 12:11:47 PM »
Hey guys.  I found this site a few weeks ago, and have been lurking quite a bit.  I must say I have enjoyed reading the posts.

To give a bit of background I recently turned 30.  My father is in the last stages of MPB (and started thinning in his early 30's) and his dad had MPB, and his dad had MBP.   So, on my father's side MPB reigns supreme.  On my mother's side however every man has a full head of hair regardless of age.

Now, I have always been a fan of the buzzed look and the sly look (though I have never tried wet shaving my head), so BBC is an option for me whether I have MPB or not.  My question is do you guys think I need to go sly now, or do I have a few years before the MPB kicks in enough to merit it?  At this point I would say that I plan to stay buzzed at a #2 or under and am seriously considering going to a #0 buzz.  I do like the sly look, but I'm not sure if I'm quite there yet.

I recently let my hair grow out a few months (I was keeping it buzzed at a #8) and I was somewhat surprised at the outcome.  It appears to me that I am badly receding and thinning on the corners, but I am not sure if this is true (as people are usually their own worse critic).  As soon as I saw these pics, I immediately buzzed it to a short #4.  Since then I have progressed from a short #4 to a long #3, then a short #3, and and am now at a long #2.  I plan to go to short #2 this weekend, but may leave it there for a while.  I have noticed that my hair looks a lot better buzzed close, and after I buzz it to a setting a few weeks later I am wanting to take it a little shorter.

Thanks in advance to any posts/advice.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 07:25:55 AM by X The Hierophant »

Offline SLYinKC

• Life's too short to not be SLY
  • Sly Bureau
  • Totally "SLY"
Re: Advice needed - Pics included
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 12:24:10 PM »
Glad you posted and joined us.  I must say the buzzed pic looks much better than the  before.  As far as for when you should go SLY, it's purely up to you.  But if you've got the feeling you'd like to try it, you should probably go ahead.  By the looks of things you will look great SLY and then you can see for yourself.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more]http://cdnll.img1.imagechef.com/w/080404/samp2e8ccec0733546ef.jpg[/img] [/url]<embed

Offline Ian

• UK Baldie
  • Super Sly
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 12:35:21 PM »
First off , Welcome to the forum
The buzzed look is so much better for you,go any short or sly? i suppose thats upto you,but there are many BBCers who will tell you to get it shaved off now instead of waiting.You could always go down to a #1 & then onto a #0

I knew I was going bald when it was taking longer and longer to wash my face

Offline Kajun

• T-Sly Boudreaux
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 12:55:18 PM »
looks good buzzed at a #2, would prob also look good at a #1....you've got a few years left before your totally MPB being that your at this point at 30 yrs old....so you really have the option of trying Sly when you have the option to grow it back out if you dont like it.....i would definetly not let it grow anymore than a  #2.......btw welcome to SBG's  O0
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 01:00:04 PM by Kajun »
VIVA LA SLY REVOLUCION!!!

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 01:04:53 PM »

I recently let my hair grow out a few months (I was keeping it buzzed at a #8) .....

Since when is #8 considered "buzzing" it?  :*)) Seriously, welcome to the forum, X.

I'll probably get flame-sprayed for this comment, but I think you're holding strong on the hair line. We have quite a few BBC dudes here (I'm MPB). If you're looking to go sly because the look appeals to you (and it should), go for it. If the reason you're looking to shave it off is because you're going bald, I'd say hold off. You're hairline is fine.

Cheers!
Schro

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2007, 01:11:32 PM »
Welcome...looks like you have a good amount of hairline left. That being said, going shorter in stages is a good way to experiment. I haven't gone to the razor yet, but it seems like the difference (for me, at least) between blades (#2 vs. #1 vs. #0) is only 7-10 days at most. Might consider a barbershop buzzcut or clippercut...their equipment seems to cut a more true length than the home kits, and they can sharpen up the edges, too.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 01:13:33 PM by Rob6 »

BALDANDRE

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2007, 01:16:46 PM »
Welcome dude!

The buzz looks real good one you...absolutely you could wait a while to go sly...but why? personally i think if you went the 100% slick, you would definately have more of an edge ( I was thinking like you were in a band or somethin') O0

But, here is goes...the truth...bro you have it in your head to eventually go totally bald and sly, knowing that, i can honestly tell you you will NOT be as happy as you can be until you shave it smooth and SLY...

trust me (and the rest of the sly bro's)! The look will work real well for you , I say go for it!

Good luck bro and welcome!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 01:49:24 PM »
Welcome X, glad to have you join us.   Really not much to add to the excellent advice you have already received from the other brothers.   But the desire to be sly is obviously there, why not try it for the summer and see if its you (and it probably is).  You still have plenty of hair to grow it back out over the summer months if it doesn't suit you.  Have to warn you though, Once the idea to be sly is in your head, it won't go away until you do it.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 02:21:04 PM »
Since when is #8 considered "buzzing" it?  :*)) Seriously, welcome to the forum, X.

I'll probably get flame-sprayed for this comment, but I think you're holding strong on the hair line. We have quite a few BBC dudes here (I'm MPB). If you're looking to go sly because the look appeals to you (and it should), go for it. If the reason you're looking to shave it off is because you're going bald, I'd say hold off. You're hairline is fine.

Cheers!
Schro

Welcome X!  I agree with Schro!  Though, I do think that if you are interested in going Sly, know would be a good time to shave the head and try it out.  That way if you decided to grow it back, you'll at least know what you're going to look like when you get to that point where you feel you need to shave it.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 02:43:27 PM »
Brother, If you got the bug to go sly, it ain't going away.  You might as well give it a try over summer.  If it's not for you, grow it back ....
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

X The Hierophant

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 03:59:24 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys.  It seems the concensus so far is my hairline isn't far enough gone to force me to go sly, but it would be a good look if I wanted to be BBC.

I am seriously thinking of trying BBC.  I think I will do a short #2 this weekend and keep lowering the setting each week.  I have a 10 day vacation from work next month ... I think that will be the perfect time to try it sly...

Offline Sgt. Pate

• Sly Bureau
  • ~ Semper Fi ~ Sly Till I Die! ~
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 05:05:24 PM »
Yeah, the nice thing about going SLY now is it's by choice and you could grow it back if you really wanted to but... we all know you won't!   :*))

"Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you." - Clint Smith

jp_bald

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 05:15:35 PM »
hello men!!!
 i believe that you must shave your head as soon as is possible
I am sure that you are going to be happy without the stuble

you must go sly

JohnMont

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2007, 01:16:17 PM »
I will echo Paul and Tyler.  Your hairline isn't bad; in fact a slightly receding hairline with longish hair slicked straight back is a great look for you.  But; since you are far from MPB ; why not try the totally slly look ; and see how it works for you.  If you're not happy it will take very little time before you are at a number #2, which btw, looks really good on you two.   

Enjoy playing around with it ... and .... SLY would be a great look for you, should you so choose

X The Hierophant

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2007, 03:24:16 PM »
Thanks again for all the great advice and comments.  I will do a short#2 this weekend, and will progress to a #1 sometime before my vacation at the end of July.  The Friday I leave work for vacation I will go sly.  I will post another thread with before and after pics to see what you guys think.  Thanks again for all the comments ... you guys have convinced me to give it a go.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 11:47:32 AM by X The Hierophant »

Enter your email address: