Author Topic: Border crossing problem  (Read 2818 times)

Offline NoPony

• Sly
    • James Barley Woodturner
Border crossing problem
« on: March 03, 2013, 06:26:56 PM »
Some years ago when I used to drive across the border, (Canada->USA), I would randomly be pulled out of the traffic line and subjected to an in-depth questioning.
It was not until during one of these inquiries that the border guard let slip it was the tattoos on my hand that was their concern, he referred to them as "jail house" tattoos. the letters (LOVE) across the fingers.
Since then I keep my hand out of sight and nary a problem.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 09:21:16 PM by NoPony »

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
Re: Border crossing problem
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2013, 08:14:36 PM »
Can you say...."profiling"? I hope you contacted a manager and registered a complaint.
Hair is over rated.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 04:13:30 AM »
"Profiling", unfortunately, will always be with us.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2013, 08:00:31 AM »
Speaking as a retired policeman I have to clear up a misconception that most people (who are not in the business) run into when they get all emotional about profiling. Profiling on the basis of race is generally frowned upon and rightfully so. Profiling on the basis of things that we do voluntarily is not.
Allow an example.
If I am speaking to an Hispanic person and make the determination that he is a gang member because he is Hispanic that would classify as wrongful profiling. However, if the same person has visible gang tats and I assume that he is a gang member based on the tats that is a determination that would be legally defensible, particularly during the prosecution of a gang crimes case or subsequent civil proceedings.
Having worked cases with U. S. Immigration and Naturalization I can attest to the fact that the people who work the borders are trained to pick up on things that even most street cops wouldn't think to look for. Perhaps jail tats are one of those things.

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline NoPony

• Sly
    • James Barley Woodturner
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2013, 09:01:17 AM »
In my case, the one I posted earlier, it never crossed my mind that the border guard had done anything but his job, and very well also.
I should also add here, that my tats were not "jail" related, but a leftover legacy of my early days in the Canadian Navy.

Offline Disbikerdude

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 09:10:51 PM »
Buddha, thanks for clearing up the whole concept of profiling, because the U.S. govt goes out of it's way to say that nobody profiles.  "Horse Hockey"!  @c3 Like you said, there is a type of visual and verbal questioning that goes on. 
I was the recipient of profiling several years ago, when I was returning from S. Korea and going through customs at LAX.  The guard waved me through as soon as he saw me.  I asked him why he was so quick to pass me through.  He mentioned my very short hair cut (near sly), and my dog tags kind of gave me away.  Interesting  ^-^

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2013, 11:22:30 AM »
Unfortunately, I think profiling is something that most people do, consciously or not, in one form or another.
Hair is over rated.

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 07:55:00 AM »
Unfortunately, I think profiling is something that most people do, consciously or not, in one form or another.

I definitely do this. For example, if I see a guy who is maybe 19 or 20 with bad skin and no teeth the first thing I think is "hey, there's a guy who knows where to get some crystal meth".
And perhaps after I talk to him I learn that he's addicted to heroin but has never touched meth.
Shows just how wrong I can be sometimes.
 :*))
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 04:09:25 AM by buddha »
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.