Author Topic: new to DE and head shaving  (Read 3423 times)

Offline smoothsailing

• Sly
  • hairfree = carefree
new to DE and head shaving
« on: February 25, 2013, 03:04:14 AM »
Hey guys. First of all this is my first post and I love your supportive community which encouraged me to post this.
I'm getting my head shaved soon for the first time (I was recommended a place called Floyds) and I was curious as to if I should try another method of shaving maintenance other than DE first. The reason being that I've used multi blade razors on my face and they are not the kindest to my skin (though I must admit I was not using proper products). The DE shaving process seems right up my alley but I am concerned.
Thanks in advance

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
Re: new to DE and head shaving
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 04:48:00 AM »
Welcome mate!

What are your concerns and we'll try and address them as best we can!

DE shaving is great it just takes some time to get used to.
Lynchy

Offline smoothsailing

• Sly
  • hairfree = carefree
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 09:14:35 AM »
Most of my concern hinges on if as a beginner I should even be considering using a DE blade to maintain my head vs some other more common conventional methods

Offline OzSly

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 02:38:05 PM »
G'Day Smoothsailing mate,

Welcome to the Bastion OF Baldness.

Why don't you try using a razor on your noggin to start with and see how it goes, then once your nude nut goes used to shaving move to D/E.

To get a good shave you have to prepare your scone for it, exfoliate, some pre-shave oil, some quality shaving soap or cream. Then after your shave some moisturiser to keep your Mellon looking a million dollars.

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 02:52:42 PM »
Most of my concern hinges on if as a beginner I should even be considering using a DE blade to maintain my head vs some other more common conventional methods

Fair call, the learning curve is a little steep, but my first DE shave was the face and full head without any major issue.

Slow and steady wins the race!
Lynchy

Offline smoothsailing

• Sly
  • hairfree = carefree
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 03:33:54 PM »
thanks for the advice guys. I'm doing a lot of research on this before taking the plunge and since I know those cartridge razors mess up my face I figured it couldn't be much better on my head. I'm thinking I'll just do all the DE steps like I've learned but maybe with a "safer" razor first since I'm particularly worried about the back. Also I shave my face against the grain since it makes for fewer passes and ultimately less irritation. Is the dome similar to the face in that aspect for you guys?

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 03:41:21 PM »
Just my two cents here, cartridge razors destroy my face, I get razor burn and trapped hairs like you wouldn't believe, but they work great on my head, it's a different canvas so don't discount the idea of cartridge razors just yet. In fact I'd say try both and see what's best for you

Offline smoothsailing

• Sly
  • hairfree = carefree
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 03:47:20 PM »
@slyfive

thanks that's what I needed to hear. I'll try that first then

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 10:00:34 AM »
great advice guys.

Smooth sailing, welcome and enjoy your smooth dome.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 10:10:18 AM »
Welcome, smoothsailing! Good luck and safe shaving!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline smoothsailing

• Sly
  • hairfree = carefree
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2013, 02:16:57 PM »
So I just had my first DE shave (my face only, haven't gone sly yet until I know how to use this thing for sure).

I have to say it went way better than expected.  Lathering took a bit long though I suspect I'll get better at it and I have 2 more soaps to test still.  The actual shaving process was great!  Very smooth and gentle, though I obviously need work on my technique.  I don't have a perfectly smooth shave, but after 3 sets of passes it's as smooth or smoother than any cartridge razor shave I've had yet to date.  I have no visible nicks or cuts... though I did feel a few of them with the after shave.  They must not have been that severe because I can't see any evidence of them.

I definitely know I wont be using any other method of shaving on my face again (unless I want to try SE).  Thanks for the advice guys.

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 06:23:44 PM »
So I just had my first DE shave (my face only, haven't gone sly yet until I know how to use this thing for sure).

I have to say it went way better than expected.  Lathering took a bit long though I suspect I'll get better at it and I have 2 more soaps to test still.  The actual shaving process was great!  Very smooth and gentle, though I obviously need work on my technique.  I don't have a perfectly smooth shave, but after 3 sets of passes it's as smooth or smoother than any cartridge razor shave I've had yet to date.  I have no visible nicks or cuts... though I did feel a few of them with the after shave.  They must not have been that severe because I can't see any evidence of them.

I definitely know I wont be using any other method of shaving on my face again (unless I want to try SE).  Thanks for the advice guys.

Assuming you haven't bought really expensive soaps, I'd recommend you practice lathering at other times, even when you have no intention of shaving.  That way, you know the lather quality will be there when you come to shave and it's one less thing to think about.

Also, don't give up on the idea of the SEs!  They're also great razors!  Get yourself comfortable with the DE first, before changing too much.  SEs are definitely very different beasts!  (If you want to try an SE in the future PM me.  I can't promise one in perfect condition but it will be nice and functional, and I'll throw in a few blades to test it with too.)

Offline smoothsailing

• Sly
  • hairfree = carefree
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 06:50:36 PM »
Great suggestion.  I've been shaving daily already for the last week in order to practice my technique and condition my skin to more frequent blade shaving since before I was only shaving with a cartridge razor twice a month or so and trimming the rest of the time.  This is a massive improvement from my normal routine... I actually look forward to shaving now!  I don't even need a shave every day, but I've found the feeling of a smooth shave is rather addictive!  As  result, my lathering technique has vastly improved!  I like taking my time lathering as well since I really just enjoy the whole process.

As for SE shaving, I've already set myself on it as a future goal.  At the moment my "beard" is hardly a smattering of thin hair so the DE is really taking care of all my needs.  Maybe in a few weeks or a month after I've shaved my head I'll take you up on that awesome offer.  Have you tried those Feather razors with the disposable SE blades?  I was particularly interested in those since I'm not entirely familiar with SE maintenance yet.

EDIT:  I've added a new profile pic of my newest shaving item:  a nifty little bowl I bought while in Morocco two years ago!  It's really thin walled so it catches heat fast but releases it as well.  I already have a top notch scuttle on the way to replace it, but it's been my shaving companion for the last 3 or 4 shaves and it's really good for a light shave :D
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 07:24:19 PM by smoothsailing »

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 07:28:18 PM »
I have one of the Feather Artist Club SS razors (non-folding), a folding Kai Captain, and a CJB, which is a cheaper clone of the Feather model.  The blades for those are super-sharp, but they all use the same blades.  Once you get used to using them they deliver outstanding shaves, but they're much closer to straight razors than SE razors.

Offline smoothsailing

• Sly
  • hairfree = carefree
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 10:17:53 PM »
ah I see. I thought the names were interchangable until a couple days ago