Author Topic: Traveling to Florida/Need Advice!  (Read 4569 times)

benlen

Traveling to Florida/Need Advice!
« on: February 21, 2013, 05:15:04 PM »
Hey guys,

So it is official. For spring break I'm heading to Florida to catch some sun!

However, this will be the first vacation I'm taking as a sly guy. So I need some advice.

1) First, I'm looking to save money on my flight by only taking carry-ons. This has been a philosophy I've followed for the last several years as I prefer to not cope with baggage claim.

So with that in mind, how do you guys take shaving gear with you? Does TSA have any issue with taking shaving razors in a carry-on?

I know that on my last flight I was allowed to take shaving cream, provided it was in a small enough size.

2) SUN PROTECTION: This is by far the most important. I come from a cold, sunless New England environment. Thankfully, I don't burn often in the sun provided I regularly and methodically apply sunscreen––but with my bald head, I'm wondering what extra precautions/suggestions you can offer.

Does sunscreen sting badly on a shaved head? What about salt water?

Thanks guys!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Traveling to Florida/Need Advice!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 05:34:08 PM »
There are a lot of shaving creams and suncreens that you can take as a carry-on.  I've never had any issues with my razors.  I usually take both my HeadBlade and FaceBlade (by HeadBlade) when I travel.  HeadBlade also has a good travel set with all that you need - HeadSlick, HeadShed, HeadLube Glossy and Matte.  Here's a link - http://www.headblade.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HB&Product_Code=FB+Travel+Kit&AFFIL=SkE09&Category_Code=
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 07:24:41 PM »
I survived a week in FL, during the summer, with this...

It's great stuff IMHO.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 07:25:44 PM »
Also, I've never had issues with stinging from salt water.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 08:26:38 PM »
Razors are fine for carry on. You just have to make sure all of your hygiene gear fits into a quart size ziploc bag. 3 oz bottle is still the max per product. Just make sure you include sunscreen in that bag. You don't want ur sunscreen confiscated. Sunscreen is a super important for us sly guys. You don't want a sunburned noggin or a uneven tan. If you do burn aloe helps. Make sure on your return flight the aloe meets the liquid requirements. I remember coming home from key west and TSA confiscated aloe gel from a fair skinned woman who had pretty bad sunburn simply because her container was to big.

But a slick melon in the pool or ocean feels great. Just remember to apply sunscreen. A hat is good too. Your head does need a break from the sun. With a bald head you feel the heat more.

Bald guys head wipes are good too to wipe the sweat and feel fresh.

Offline leighmundo40

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2013, 10:25:46 AM »
Possibly a cap/hat of somekind? UV rays can be harsh, The Aussies have that SSS thing Slip on a shirt, Slop on the 30+ sunscreen, Slap on a hat, Seek shade or shelter, Slide on some sunnies. - "Slip, Slop, Slap, Seek, Slide"

Offline b.driscoll

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 01:24:32 PM »
   Sunscreen and a hat during the day and let the dome out at night............do not let that Florida sun get a hold of you. If you must go without a hat then load up on the sun screen,and re-apply often.

Offline slymyke

• Sly Bureau
  • Shaved head with full beard
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 11:23:05 AM »
The salt water will be good for your head.  It won't sting unless you have a cut... and even then, it is only for a second or two, and will actually help it heal quicker. 

My issue is my forehead sweating a salt river into my eyes.. and if I wear sunscreen, that goes into my eyes and burns even worse.  This is usually only an issue when I work outside because at the beach you will be able to cool off in the water and the ocean breeze will help too.  But no matter how "water-proof" they claim the sunscreen is, it will need to be reapplied often to prevent burning (especially the first few times in the sun).

Also, in most places in Floirda, there is a Walgreen's on every corner... which you may already know means that there is a CVS on every adjacent corner... and an infestation of Walmart's too.  You can buy your sunscreen when you get down here and unless you buy a huge container full, you will probably use most of it anyway so you may not have to worry about the 3oz rule.  High SPF for your head for sure... 

What area are you planning to visit?

BBCAlex

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 11:40:12 AM »
I just returned from two weeks in Hawaii and avoided sunburn with Neutrogenas spray sunscreen. Its a quick spray mist that isnt greasy and doesnt have to be slathered on. It literally takes seconds to apply and has protected me from the brutal NC summer sun for several years now. You can buy it at almost any store that carries skin products.

http://www.neutrogena.com/product/fresh+cooling+body+mist+sunscreen+broad+spectrum+spf+45.do?sortby=ourPicks

Offline Knoggin

• Sly Gun
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2013, 06:13:46 PM »
Ben where r ya headed? I am in the panhandle. Could have a mini sly con LOL.