Author Topic: Sun Block  (Read 6054 times)

Offline Viking

• Sly
  • The artist formally known as Gearhead.......
Sun Block
« on: February 17, 2013, 02:17:38 PM »
So this July I'm off to the caribbean for a few weeks and I'm from England, so that means the ol' solar panel isn't used to the baking it will be getting this summer!

What do you guys use to keep your domes from melting away in the sun??

Offline Lynchy

• Sly Bureau
Re: Sun Block
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 02:29:12 PM »
Whatever you decide to go,with the key is to apply it often!

I am yet to find anything that doesn't turn greasy when I start sweating.
Lynchy

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 03:24:28 PM »
There's a lot to choose from but lynchy's right. Get something with a high SPF rating and apply it often. Or wear a cap.
Hair is over rated.

Offline Viking

• Sly
  • The artist formally known as Gearhead.......
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 03:55:51 PM »
I'll be taking some sort of hat along, don't want to wear it all the time and end up with silly tan lines!!

Offline clarinetguy

• BBC and Sly since April 22,2012
  • Super Sly
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 05:53:35 PM »
Headblade Headlube SPF 30 - not sur that is strong enough though.

Offline Gary~

• Being...
  • Super Sly
  • 27-April-2013
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 11:18:59 PM »
Nothing beats a good hat and there's none of that greasy stuff. You will get tan lines but these are not "silly" but lines of wisdom that will help protect you from skin cancer and other skin nasties later on in life.

However, you're in the UK so probably don't get that much sun so maybe it isn't a problem. Tanned skin looks so much more aged and damaged than untanned skin. At least you have free health care to use later if necessary.

Have a great holiday.

Offline skram

• Sly
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2013, 08:51:26 AM »
Last summer I found a Life brand sunscreen - Sport spf50 - that didn't run into my eyes as much as others had (I have a real issue with that when I'm golfing).

Life brand is a store brand here in Atlantic Canada (either Lawton's Drugs or Shoppers Drug Mart - can't remember which at the moment), however, from the bottle, label colour and styling, I think it's a knock-off of Coppertone Sport SPF 50 Ultra Sweatproof, so you might want to try that line.

Offline antoniom

• Sly
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 08:32:40 PM »
I sometimes use the bald guyz sunscreen gel with spf30+  [after my head + face shave] good for head and face its good but kinda fast drying. You'll need to apply it quick or enough so the gel dose not clump up on you. If you use products like these is this common for me to yawn or feel like i'm tired or to have a runny nose or buring of the eyes if any gets in my eyes?

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 10:12:26 PM »
P20 is the absolute best thing I've used. Check it out.

Offline bella

• Sister Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Sister Sly
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2013, 05:52:24 PM »
I've always done well with the generic drug store oil-free SPF 30.  I'm a fair Irish lass so I regularly douse myself in the stuff before setting foot outdoors. 

Offline TV guy

• Sly Jr.
    • T.V.Puppetree
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2013, 07:46:06 PM »
"Life" is the house brand for Shoppers Drug Mart and almost always a name brand in different packaging as most store brand products are.

I'm a big fan of hats, long sleeves and long pants ...and extreme moderation with sun block. The active ingredient in most sunblocks is a known carcinogen that CAUSES skin cancer. The "natural" products seem to leave a white chalky looking residue. There is no single right answer.

Offline Adamski1972

• Super Sly
  • Bald and bold!
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2013, 04:25:21 PM »
I live in South West England and we have had a few days of wonderful weather in the last week. I have been using SPF 20 mans face moisturiser from body shop to protect my head from sunburn. Been careful to not expose my head to the sun too much and now love how my head is finally tanning up a bit. No more white head!

Offline DonM

• Sly Guy in Training
  • DonM
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 09:38:54 AM »
I am happy so far with Neutrogena Ultra Sheer 30 SPF.  In FL sunscreen is a must and this one is not as oily as most.  After applying, it has a dryer feel to it and I haven't got that oil slick feel with it as I did with others when you sweat

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 10:06:45 AM »
I'm a big fan of hats, long sleeves and long pants ...and extreme moderation with sun block. The active ingredient in most sunblocks is a known carcinogen that CAUSES skin cancer. The "natural" products seem to leave a white chalky looking residue. There is no single right answer.

I'm glad someone else brought this up. It's been insinuated that I'm some kind of kook or conspiracy theorist in the past when I've cautioned about this. Good that someone else in here is willing to read up on this stuff.
Aside from the carcinogenic nature of some of these ingredients there is another problem with a lot of the commercial sunscreens and that is a synthetic estrogen that is added for a reason that I cannot figure out.
The following might be a good read:
http://www.uvnatural.com/australia/resourcessunscreendataextracts.htm
It is for this reason that I opt for a hat. I couldn't care less what the people around me think of my hat or my tan lines. Once I had a chunk of my forehead surgically removed due to basal cell carcinoma it changed my outlook.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Enter your email address: