Author Topic: Yet another - Should I or not?  (Read 5283 times)

Offline Libris

• Learning the way of Sly
Yet another - Should I or not?
« on: February 09, 2013, 04:56:46 AM »
Hello everyone,

much like the title says, this is another one of the long list of "help me decide" threads....

A little background info: I am 190cm (~6ft3" I think) and 23 years of age. I had long hair in a ponytail for a very long time (6+ years). However I am growing tired of it. I do not think I am losing hair, so this is a choice, not a necessity. I did my best in photoshop to see how I would look, and this was the result:

The image seems to be resized automatically, so here's a link to full size:
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/47/baldvshair.jpg

That's me in the centre at my local airsoft match.

The more I look at it, the more I like it, however, it does make me look very young I feel. That is my main concern, because ideally I need to look if anything older than what I really am for my chosen career.

I welcome any input, and thanks for helping me decide.

:)

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
Re: Yet another - Should I or not?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 05:31:04 AM »
Nice photoshop, sir.  The bald head suits you well. I, too, and bald my choice, and I really like the look. 

And the bald head with camo gear looks very well.  If you're looking for a head count, I'll vote for bald. Hope you do it, even to just try it out. Give it a minimum 30 days. See 30 day rule.  I really enjoy the extra smooth dome after the morning shave.  Very satisfying.

marty22

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 05:31:49 AM »
Go for it and welcome!

isleepinthebuff

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 07:02:57 AM »
Why not try a short haircut rather than the long hair?

at the end of the day for you shaving your head would just be another haircut as you have hair, so you can grow it back so there is no real issue.

Offline Libris

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 07:42:13 AM »
I'm a bit of an extremist in some sense - either all hair or no hair!

Like I said, that "young" look is more or less the only thing keeping me back. That and the winter chill, lol! I can use my tail like a scarf! (No, not really)

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 10:19:28 AM »
I like the sly bald look in the picture. Go for it! If you don't like the look, you can always grow it back.

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 11:15:56 AM »
Here's another vote for GO FOR IT!

And welcome to the club.
Hair is over rated.

Andrei

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 11:40:19 AM »
I'm still surprised you're asking what to do after you seen the photoshoped after. :)
Since words are required then i say shave all that hair.
So, are you going to shave?

Offline bella

• Sister Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Sister Sly
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 01:37:08 PM »
First, great photoshop skills!

If you are an "extremist" as you say, go for it.  I'm much the same way-- go big or go home.  And once the "go big" seed is in your head the "go home" option seems really unsatisfying  ;D

I've cut off really long hair a number of times in my life and never regretted it, even if I did end up growing it back relatively quickly in some cases.   In others, the hair stayed off for years.  And I'm only 30!

I had shoulderblade length hair before deciding to shave it off (and I'm a girl!  Imagine!).  It's been about 3 weeks and I have days of doubts, second guesses, declarations to grow it back immediately -- But more often than that is greater confidence and genuine fun with a new look.

So that's my experience/wisdom after *almost* a month around here.  Welcome either way!

And you could probably get more than a few fence sitters to pay you beaucoup bucks to do the photoshop jobs for them  :*))

I will concede the cold issue but hey hats are not expensive and have served me well. 

Offline guido57

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2013, 03:54:27 PM »
I'm a bit of an extremist in some sense - either all hair or no hair!

Like I said, that "young" look is more or less the only thing keeping me back. That and the winter chill, lol! I can use my tail like a scarf! (No, not really)

Me too, Libris, I say go sly or go home. Most of my adult life I've sported long hair and long beard.......gone, no regrets!
I have learned silence from the talkative, tolerance from the intolerant, and kindness from the unkind. I should not be ungrateful to those teachers.
                                                                    ~Kahlil Gibran~

Offline Crusher0209

• Super Sly
  • Life is short and you never know when it will end
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2013, 05:45:51 PM »
usually I wouldn't tell anyone this but I say go for it all the way and do it tonight or tomorrow the sly look works for you a lot better I think. I say though that the sly look will make you look more mature and that could help you a lot  O0

Offline Libris

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2013, 07:08:35 PM »
Hey all, thanks for all your replies!

I've done a few more half-arsed photoshops real quick and I think I am decided now. I will do it - not right now, but after payday I will buy myself some clippers and maybe buzz it down to #3 or #2 - I would like to let my scalp see some sun before I go all the way, otherwise I will have a great big patch of paper white skin on the top of my head! Because of my hair my scalp hasn't seen any light for years.

Oh and if you are interested - there you go, just beware, the shopping is quick and awful:
http://imageshack.us/a/img805/2799/bald4.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img841/5261/bald3.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img571/8161/bald2.jpg

I guess I will keep my tail as a memento lol :)

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2013, 07:42:17 PM »
Hi Libris, add one more vote to you should get rid of the hair. Welcome aboard. Great photo shopping skill, you might want to add head shaving to your skills in the days to come.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 07:48:55 PM »
Welcome, nice photoshop, you would look good bald if you decided to shave.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2013, 08:04:31 PM »
Nice Kevlor Gloves !
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL