Author Topic: Super Bowl Conspicuous Consumption  (Read 2490 times)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Super Bowl Conspicuous Consumption
« on: February 03, 2013, 11:31:21 AM »
Well, this is for this year, Superbowl city.  Thought you might enjoy some of the conspicuous consumption I've seen and heard about--this is NOT a Joe Six-Pack event. 
Today at a party, a friend in the hospitality industry who knows said that the NFL owners party in City Park cost $14,000,000, yes, 6 zeros!  And $1,000,000 of that was for the floors alone for the numerous interconnected tents!  At Union Station numerous private railway cars are parked, both those rented and owned--within about a half mile of the Superdome.  There are at least three ocean going mega-yachts docked at the foot of Canal Street for owners of teams and guests and numerous "smaller" yachts, none are too shabby, at the three yacht clubs at Lake Pontchartrain--then dozens of private jets are crowded in at the Lakefront Airport.  There's not a limosine in miles that isn't doing standby--several Rolls Royce rolling around.  Numerous large tents hosting what appear to be grand shindigs for the uber-rich.  Totally overwhelming how much money is being spent.  The local news says that hotel rooms ordinarily priced at $150-$250, are going at $1800-2000 per night three and four night minimums.  And packages, yes, starting at $20,000, but it does include a ticket to the game.
I guess these guys are the 1%, and I'm not quite there yet. ;D   

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
Re: Super Bowl Conspicuous Consumption
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2013, 11:55:08 AM »
WOW.  Thanks for the update saintc !
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2013, 12:12:10 PM »
Wow is right.  Wonder how many of the high rollers actually care who's playing!?

Offline Ming the Merciless

• Super Sly
  • No More "Mr. Nice Guy"
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2013, 12:22:49 PM »
At the "Imperial Games" in Mongo City [no vexing levees to worry about], a $14-million outlay would shout, "B-list."  Pikers!

MY outlay (the old "panem et circenses" ploy) begins about there.  Why, the "pigs-in-blankets" alone run to about $3-million.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2013, 03:09:45 PM »
I went to New Orleans on Tuesday to pick up papers from a law office on Poydras less than 300 feet from the Superdome. I ended up getting lucky and found a meter about four blocks away. Parking lots were cordoned off for "NFL Contractors Only" and the like....You could hardly tell a local from an out of towner..and this was at 3pm on TUESDAY! $14 million? Nice if you can get it.....meanwhile many of our homeless veterans continue to rot under the Claiborne overpass....ok rant over before I go too far off topic.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 05:59:06 PM »
I hear ya Harry.